• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Framingham man arrested for stopping an "alledged" thief.

This makes me sick. And the paper calls the thief 'alledged', but has no problem saying that the home owner assaulted him. Whatever.

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/9360278/detail.html?subid=22100410&qs=1;bp=t

BOSTON -- A Framingham man is being called a hero by some and a criminal by police.

James Copp reportedly swung a baseball bat at a man who was trying to break into his car over the weekend.

The alleged thief suffered minor injuries.

Neighbors said Copp is a hero for fighting back, but police said it still amounts to assault. They told the MetroWest Daily News that they had no choice but to charge him.

The alleged car thief was also charged Monday.

Man, so if someone is breaking into your property, I guess that you just have to let them, and pray that you're not fighting insurance for months and months trying to get paid so you can get another job and go back to work.

I listened to this guy being interviewed this morning on the ride into work, and there are some circumstances to consider:

- He found the homeless guy in his jeep, grabbed the first thing he saw - the baseball bat sitting next to the door. He did not immediately call 911. It was approximately 2 o'clock in the morning. (Mistake #1)

- He went outside and confronted the guy, not knowing if he had a weapon with him, or friends lurking nearby (Mistake #2)

- After he ran the guy off his property, he pursued him and eventually cornered him, so when the homeless guy swung a piece of junk metal at him, he swung back with the baseball bat and hit him (Mistake #3)

Much as I understand the motivation to strike back at the scum committing the crime, we have to remember the rules about use of deadly force:

1. Someone using deadly force must be in immediate jeapordy of suffering serious injury or death;

2. The person you are defending yourself against must have the MEANS to do said harm;

3. The person must have the ABILITY to do said harm.

When the homeless guy left his property, there was no longer an immediate threat. But instead of turning around and calling the cops, he escalated the situation and went after him. Sorry to say, he became the aggressor, and his hands are dirty in this.

If someone sees where I am wrong on this, please enlighten me......

See, that changed everything.

From the above story, you would gather that he came up to a person breaking into his car. Not someone already in the car sleeping.

If I found someone sleeping in my car, I would call the cops. Why do you need to do anything different?? He's alseep!

One of the many reasons to raise pigs, or have friends that raise pigs....

Still, Ken is 100% correct. How sad is it? In this state, meerely using force to defend property can be considered assault. A guy runs in, grabs your garden Gnone and runs off with no threat or other evidence of harm to you or your family really should not be touched. Going after him and beating him to recover the property is a criminal act.

I agree with Derek!! We should have the right to defend our property!!
I would have called the cops and file a report because that the law in the Commie Wealth.
If I live in a state were it was not against the law to protect your property then I have to believe I would swing away like Jose Canseco on Roid rage. [laugh2] [laugh2]

Last edited:
I think the guy might be frustrated knowing that if the bad guy goes in front of a judge he will receive a suspended sentence and a slap on the wrist.

You have no business being on private property in someone's car. If you get hit by a baseball bat then o-well.... Criminals are cavalier because we can't hurt them.

I think the cops are even more frustrated than law abiding citizens. Think of all the scrutiny they're under. Makes me cringe at every pursuit I see on TV when the police stop the chase because of "excessive speed". Duh, won't that entice the bad guys into doing just that? Whatever happened to the good 'ol days when the cops would just pop a 38 slug in your ass if you ran from them?

Why don't we just ask them not to do it again because it hurts my feelings when you take my personal property!!

If that’s does not work we can give them a stern time out!

[laugh2] [laugh2]

My dad would break my fingers if I stole!

the biggest mistake was calling the cops at all.
it doesnt say who called, but if it was him then hes an idiot..
if he chased the guy out the car and got his property back he should have gone back in his house, shut off the lights and gone to bed.. end of story
instead of playing show and tell to the local authorities..

Wow. I didn't know the rest of the story on that one. Well, it appears as though the home owner did make a few mistakes there, and there is probably grounds for assault charges to be brought before a jury.

USMA-82 said:
Sorry to say, he became the aggressor, and his hands are dirty in this.

According to the law, maybe. However, if there is no penalty for the bums actions there is no deterrence. He should have been able to hold batting practice on his head. I have no tolerance for people who don't respect private ownership.

Martlet said:
According to the law, maybe. However, if there is no penalty for the bums actions there is no deterrence. He should have been able to hold batting practice on his head. I have no tolerance for people who don't respect private ownership.

That's exactly why I hope I'm never in that situation. I would have to S.S.S.

Martlet said:

I think if you read the post you'd see that the "thief" was charged. That doesn't mean there can't be another charge against the guy with the bat!

Ken's email makes some great points.

Come on guys... if someone was breaking into my car to steal my computer or something my first instinct would be to beat him to a pulp.... but that's not what deadly force is for... everyone on this forum should KNOW THAT! If you are not threatened... there is NO use of deadly force. And we (gun owners) of all people should know how and when to restrain our selves.

Back
Top Bottom