• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Forester needed.

Do a search on New England Forestry.
My local guy fell off the edge of earth. Don’t know why but I expect the market tanking 6 or so years ago had him running back to Maine.

I have a BS in Forestry, graduated in 1979. Could not find a job thanks to the economy of Jimmy Carter, and ended up in the wholesale lumber industry. Back in school we had a canned prescription response when asked for an opinion by a professor, run if whom ever you hire tells you this, " Clear cut, burn, level and pave!"

I need a plan, get rid of scrub pines, dead blow downs, and start planting hardwoods. There is some maple, sugar, and Norway, few huge black walnut And some smaller ones. Need a plan.

You don’t need a forester for that unless you want to put the property into Chapter 61.

Sounds like you want to grub, thin and replant.
Area?
Wetlands?
Streams?
Species?
Soils?

That’s a starter list.

Thanks. Have one newer than this four and one half year old one?
My guy listed and MIA. Pending 61 closure anyway.
No cutters available for the past 5 years because the market sucks for waste. Trees were #2 at best. Last cutting was “chip it” into trailers or on the ground as the quality was bad on the first cutting.
Tax savings were big over near 30 years.
Town is in no way ready to buy up more land and any buyer will own the back taxes and fees.

I have a BS in Forestry, graduated in 1979. Could not find a job thanks to the economy of Jimmy Carter, and ended up in the wholesale lumber industry. Back in school we had a canned prescription response when asked for an opinion by a professor, run if whom ever you hire tells you this, " Clear cut, burn, level and pave!"
Where did you get your forestry degree? I graduated from Stockbridge school with an associate's in arboriculture and park mgt in 92 and a BS in forestry in 94. Tried like hell to get a nice government job in the field but never got on anywhere......the Army was my backup plan which served me very well did a few years active duty then national guard with a couple deployments to the sand box and a many years full time national guard. Retired last year as a major. My military mos was logistics and now I'm in the civilian world as a distribution manager. I like it.....but I still wonder where I'd be if I had got into the forest service or something comparable.

Where did you get your forestry degree? I graduated from Stockbridge school with an associate's in arboriculture and park mgt in 92 and a BS in forestry in 94. Tried like hell to get a nice government job in the field but never got on anywhere......the Army was my backup plan which served me very well did a few years active duty then national guard with a couple deployments to the sand box and a many years full time national guard. Retired last year as a major. My military mos was logistics and now I'm in the civilian world as a distribution manager. I like it.....but I still wonder where I'd be if I had got into the forest service or something comparable.

1979 SUNY Environmental Science and Forestry, Syracuse, NY. One summer for the USFS in Idaho 1979. That was back in Jimmy Carter and 20% Prime. No jobs in the woods, Ended up working retail in a record store for 3 years than got in lumber industry. Still there hope to retire before I die.

I need a plan, get rid of scrub pines, dead blow downs, and start planting hardwoods. There is some maple, sugar, and Norway, few huge black walnut And some smaller ones. Need a plan.

Those walnut trees could be valuable. scrub pine and blow downs are most likely worthless. The sugar maples may bring some money. How many acres is the parcel?

1979 SUNY Environmental Science and Forestry, Syracuse, NY.
I graduated in 1978 from there, chemistry. May have run into each other, I had to take a wood/pulp and environmental science courses to graduate, so those were sort of forestry related. Was only an upper level college then (junior/senior graduate studies) as I recall.
edit: What would an Oak tree be worth, say 2 foot diameter base, tall and straight?

18 acres, not big woods but I want to clean it up, get it healthy.
That's enough to get someone to get in there and and tell you what you have and how it is growing. Based on my 40 year old knowledge should only take one day in the field to get the data needed to tell you what you have. If I remember correctly back in 1979 we where doing data collection on 40-60 acres stands in a day.
What you want to know is how much footage you have in saw timber, pulp wood and current market numbers so you can make an informed decision.

I graduated in 1978 from there, chemistry. May have run into each other, I had to take a wood/pulp and environmental science courses to graduate, so those were sort of forestry related. Was only an upper level college then (junior/senior graduate studies) as I recall.
edit: What would an Oak tree be worth, say 2 foot diameter base, tall and straight?
I don't know what one oak tree would bring not sure if it would be worth anyone's time to cut just one down, but a black walnut with the first branch at 8 feet could bring thousand of dollars. Those are worth someone's time to cut one tree. Check local extension offices.

Your oak tree may be worth a couple hundred, or it may be worth nothing. As part of a on-going cut, it would be worth something as a saw log, but it's value is entirely dependent on its quality. 2 faces clear? 3? 4? How many logs can you get or of it? Is the mill looking for oak saw logs? What length? Red Oak or White Oak?
An oak veneer log can be worth a lot, but they are very scarce.
I've got a buy sheet back at the house from a local log guy. I'll take a picture to show the variables involved.

Your local county conservation district has foresters on staff that will come out and walk your property with you and answer questions and give advice, I have been pleased with them. They work for the state and the charge is nothing, a good place to start.

Back
Top Bottom