• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

For those considering a biometric safe

kiver

NES Member
DON'T

I was working on brickwork this weekend and destroyed the tips to my fingers. I can not access my SIG...it will not read my prints.....They will grow back, but I think I will be looking for a new easy access safe..

Guess I should have been carrying while doing housework

Probably can't buy a gun at an FFL either with crudded-up fingerprints. Good way to save dough though, since you can't spend it there.[smile]

Probably can't buy a gun at an FFL either with crudded-up fingerprints. Good way to save dough though, since you can't spend it there.[smile]

Funny thing is the wife won a SW9VE at the friends of NRA last weekend. I never even thought of it. Good thing she has her permit

Does your safe allow you to register more than one finger or even all of them? Does it have any backup method?

slightly off topic, years ago when renewing my LTC I had problems getting my fingerprints to print on the card as I had burned my right index and middle finger to the point where there was no usable print. Had to wait a week or so for them to grow back.

C'mon, Kiver... go Mythbusters on that safe! Find something else that you touched with that finger (like a CD), lift the print off, and press it onto the glass! You're all set!

Last edited by a moderator:
10 prints of each finger. None of them read. In hindsight I should have saved one for my wife. It really hurts to type

C'mon, Kiver... go Mythbusters on that safe! Find something else that you touched with that finger (like a CD), lift the print off, and press it onto the glass! You're all set!

[/QUOTEI

I saw that episode and it was a little more difficult than that. watch the episode and see the different methods that they used to to try and duplicate a fingerprint and have the print reader reject the print. The last method they tried worked ,BUT they left out a step in the process to keep anyone with shall we say "less than honorable ' intentions from committing a possible felony.

My fingerprints never match up on any biometric scanners, b/c my fingertips tend to wear out/get smooth at work. That type of safe definitely wouldn't work for me.

I play guitar and I also have a job that can be rough on the fingers. The only finger print that isn't destroyed is my left thumb. I spent half an hour with the chief trying to get a decent fingerprint last renewal. I tried having a fingerprint read when I bought an AR a year ago. Didn't have any luck...fortunately it wasn't necessary to complete the deal.

I play guitar and I also have a job that can be rough on the fingers. The only finger print that isn't destroyed is my left thumb. I spent half an hour with the chief trying to get a decent fingerprint last renewal. I tried having a fingerprint read when I bought an AR a year ago. Didn't have any luck...fortunately it wasn't necessary to complete the deal.
I have pretty heavy guitar callouses on my left hand, but the part of the finger they are generally interested in isn't really ravaged by guitar strings...

The machines don't like my finger prints but I am ok with having a "unique" finger print to cut down on the chances of an incorrect match. So far, as long as I put the right finger in just the right spot on the scanner, it matches. I just have to ignore any helpful clerk at the store and do it the way I know it works...

Definitely would have 0 faith in rapidly deploying a weapon from a safe based on a 1 second scan of any given finger though...

Shoot the damn thing to open it. Oh... wait a minute... the gun is on the inside... DAMN!

Don't you hate when crap like that happens?

Use your PIN. My fingertips have always been shot (I play a seven string bass with hex core steel strings) and have always used my PIN.

edit: doh people already said this.

Next time try a Gunvault model GV1000 or GV2000 that has a key backup and no biometric feature. You can still open it in low or no light situations, and have the piece of mind of a backup key

That is a good one. Also works for faking fingerprints at a crime scene. But hey, the average jury thinks CSI is foolproof, right???? LOL

Next time, get a couple of your toes registered.

Register your most important digit. It will be unlikely that digit would ever lose it's print. If that one was ever cut off, you will want to kill yourself. If it was cut off you wont be able to kill yourself because you wont be able to open the safe.

Register your most important digit. It will be unlikely that digit would ever lose it's print. If that one was ever cut off, you will want to kill yourself. If it was cut off you wont be able to kill yourself because you wont be able to open the safe.

[rofl]

God, makes me think of an episode of "Spartacus...Blood and Sand" EWWWWWW

Can you really print your c... er, nevermind... You were talking about a finger right? [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom