+ for the Constitution...guns are scary no more (for one person)

My friend and his wife came up to visit this weekend. My friend does not own a firearm but shoots when the opportunity allows (great). His wife comes from a background where firearms are evil/scary/dangerous and was scared of them. My wife isn't into shooting on her own, but does enjoy shooting with me on occassion.

So the plan was we all do something one day (go somewhere, whatever) and the next my friend and I go shooting while our wives go do something else.

Apparently on the way up my friend asked his wife if she wanted to go shooting, the answer was no. On Saturday we got into a conversation about firearms and went to KTP after our other activities; for shoes- not guns; but we stopped by anyway (her first time close to guns). We didn't talk about 2nd ammendment rights or how a gun was used to shoot a bad guy- we talked about guns just like they were any other tool, like a hammer- just "part of life". She asked some questions and we answered them...

Sunday morning we're talking about when we're going to go...she ASKS if she can come along. Heck yes! I change what I'm bringing to my "new shooter" friendly guns and we go to the close/fun for plinking range instead of the 100 yard line... We give her a safety/firearms operation overview and her husband shows her how to aim properly.

She shoots the .22 rifle at 10 meters...on the paper. Then in the black...constantly. Repeat with .22 Pistol. Then comes a guy and his kids, they are very safe...she sees this safe/good interaction as we unload/make guns safe then he goes down range to setup target. Then a guy with a 1911 comes, we explain its "the same rules but will be louder because its more powerful". The sound/concussion scares her a little, but again he is a safe/responsible shooter- she sees this and get comfortable again (on her own). We take out our 9mm and let her shoot a few after an overview of its operation. She does ok.

We shoot a bit more then leave... (about 50 rounds/person, mix of .22 and 9mm).

Is she going to take up shooting? No, its not her thing, but in her words "it was a good experience and I really appreciate you taking the time to introduce me to shooting"

Are guns scary/evil/dangerous anymore? NO!

She ended the day by asking "what would it take for *friends name* to get a gun in our state?"

It was a very good day, there was no agressive talk against liberals or scary talk about 2nd ammendment rights. Just a practical exercise in "gun safety is about individual responsibility and here is a demonstration". She got it, she is not scared by guns anymore.

By the way, I've also learned that the analogy of "line up the sights so it looks like a city skyline with all of the buildings at the same height...then put the bullseye over the middle building like its the sun setting overtop of it" is a great analogy to teach someone to aim without having paper to draw a picture.

My friend and his wife came up to visit this weekend. My friend does not own a firearm but shoots when the opportunity allows (great). His wife comes from a background where firearms are evil/scary/dangerous and was scared of them. My wife isn't into shooting on her own, but does enjoy shooting with me on occassion.

So the plan was we all do something one day (go somewhere, whatever) and the next my friend and I go shooting while our wives go do something else.

Apparently on the way up my friend asked his wife if she wanted to go shooting, the answer was no. On Saturday we got into a conversation about firearms and went to KTP after our other activities; for shoes- not guns; but we stopped by anyway (her first time close to guns). We didn't talk about 2nd ammendment rights or how a gun was used to shoot a bad guy- we talked about guns just like they were any other tool, like a hammer- just "part of life". She asked some questions and we answered them...

Sunday morning we're talking about when we're going to go...she ASKS if she can come along. Heck yes! I change what I'm bringing to my "new shooter" friendly guns and we go to the close/fun for plinking range instead of the 100 yard line... We give her a safety/firearms operation overview and her husband shows her how to aim properly.

She shoots the .22 rifle at 10 meters...on the paper. Then in the black...constantly. Repeat with .22 Pistol. Then comes a guy and his kids, they are very safe...she sees this safe/good interaction as we unload/make guns safe then he goes down range to setup target. Then a guy with a 1911 comes, we explain its "the same rules but will be louder because its more powerful". The sound/concussion scares her a little, but again he is a safe/responsible shooter- she sees this and get comfortable again (on her own). We take out our 9mm and let her shoot a few after an overview of its operation. She does ok.

We shoot a bit more then leave... (about 50 rounds/person, mix of .22 and 9mm).

Is she going to take up shooting? No, its not her thing, but in her words "it was a good experience and I really appreciate you taking the time to introduce me to shooting"

Are guns scary/evil/dangerous anymore? NO!

She ended the day by asking "what would it take for *friends name* to get a gun in our state?"

It was a very good day, there was no agressive talk against liberals or scary talk about 2nd ammendment rights. Just a practical exercise in "gun safety is about individual responsibility and here is a demonstration". She got it, she is not scared by guns anymore.

+1[grin]

I'm finding the best approach isn't even to discuss hot issues. Just take the person shooting in a nice/safe/pleasant environment. Their opinions on the "hot" issues will change by themselves once they realize they aren't legitimate issues. I just happened to mention that one of the key provisions of the AWB was that my 15 round mags would have been illegal while my 10 round would not; the response was "that's dumb, all it means is you have to buy more".

Perfect...

By the way, I've also learned that the analogy of "line up the sights so it looks like a city skyline with all of the buildings at the same height...then put the bullseye over the middle building like its the sun setting overtop of it" is a great analogy to teach someone to aim without having paper to draw a picture.

An excellent analogy to explain sight picture! Wish I had heard of this years ago. Perfect six o'clock hold made easy.

Back
Top Bottom