• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Flying with a Firearm into MA?

So I have a question that a friend asked me and I figured I would consult the forum.

My friends dad wants to bring his new sig P238 from CO when he comes to visit in MA He will be flying into logan. We wanted to be sure that bringing the gun with him in a decliared and checked luggage bag would be legal if my friend who has a Class-A LTC could then carry the luggage out of the air port and later to the range.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Gerry

So I have a question that a friend asked me and I figured I would consult the forum.

My friends dad wants to bring his new sig P238 from CO when he comes to visit in MA He will be flying into logan. We wanted to be sure that bringing the gun with him in a decliared and checked luggage bag would be legal if my friend who has a Class-A LTC could then carry the luggage out of the air port and later to the range.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Gerry
I guess I'd be surprised if there is an "answer" to your question (other than "no, hell no!")... Under the law, he's NOT covered by FOPA because he is not licensed/legal to possess in MA. So, all legal protection for interstate travel goes out the window.

Then there is the issue of how he legally gets back? You'd have to go to the counter with him (to follow the letter of the law on "supervising" him) and the airline may not like him checking "your luggage." (however you may see it, they may choose to see it otherwise)

Personally, I'd file it under not worth dealing with MA law to ogle/fire a 238, got a gun he can borrow while he's here at the range (under your supervision of course)?

MA sucks, but we knew that.

I guess I'd be surprised if there is an "answer" to your question (other than "no, hell no!")... Under the law, he's NOT covered by FOPA because he is not licensed/legal to possess in MA. So, all legal protection for interstate travel goes out the window.

Then there is the issue of how he legally gets back? You'd have to go to the counter with him (to follow the letter of the law on "supervising" him) and the airline may not like him checking "your luggage." (however you may see it, they may choose to see it otherwise)

Personally, I'd file it under not worth dealing with MA law to ogle/fire a 238, got a gun he can borrow while he's here at the range (under your supervision of course)?

MA sucks, but we knew that.

Sound advice.

but MA is his final destination, so under the letter of the law he is still without federal protection, not that it means anything to MA, they'll make your life a living hell just for fun.

Glock,

Yes, but if he doesn't have to pass through a state where he can not legally posses the firearm, he doesn't need federal protection. Unless he is flying out of an airport where he can't have a firearm or has a layout during the trip and picks up his checked luggage at that layover, he should be ok flying into Manchester.

Glock,

Yes, but if he doesn't have to pass through a state where he can not legally posses the firearm, he doesn't need federal protection. Unless he is flying out of an airport where he can't have a firearm or has a layout during the trip and picks up his checked luggage at that layover, he should be ok flying into Manchester. [Emphasis added.]

The rub is "should be." Given exigent circumstances, the plane could land nearly anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom