Flying and guns question

The 11 pound thing is apparently an FAA rule. I have no idea how they came up with that. I did once have someone from SWA insist it was 11 oz, until she realized how silly that was. :) Jet Blue has a goofy rule that the ammunition can't be in the same locked box as the firearms. Air Tran had the same rule, but now that SWA owns them and the brand is dead, it's moot. Ammuntion has to be in the "original package" or packaging designed for ammunition. No one seems to care, I've packed it in Tupperware in the past. I have a couple of small MTM cases that I haven't used yet, but those should be fine...

Title 49 → Subtitle B → Chapter XII → Subchapter C → Part 1540
<http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr;sid=2d3c52f94cfd7861050fbe840e839858;rgn=div5;view=text;node=49%3A9.1.3.5.9;idno=49;cc=ecfr>

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations
49 → Subtitle B → Chapter XII → Subchapter C → Part 1540
e-CFR data is current as of April 16, 2015

§1540.111 Carriage of weapons, explosives, and incendiaries by individuals.

(a) On an individual's person or accessible property—prohibitions. Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, an individual may not have a weapon, explosive, or incendiary, on or about the individual's person or accessible property—

(1) When performance has begun of the inspection of the individual's person or accessible property before entering a sterile area, or before boarding an aircraft for which screening is conducted under this subchapter;

(2) When the individual is entering or in a sterile area; or

(3) When the individual is attempting to board or onboard an aircraft for which screening is conducted under §§1544.201, 1546.201, or 1562.23 of this chapter.

(b) On an individual's person or accessible property—permitted carriage of a weapon. Paragraph (a) of this section does not apply as to carriage of firearms and other weapons if the individual is one of the following:

(1) Law enforcement personnel required to carry a firearm or other weapons while in the performance of law enforcement duty at the airport.

(2) An individual authorized to carry a weapon in accordance with §§1544.219, 1544.221, 1544.223, 1546.211, or subpart B of part 1562 of this chapter.

(3) An individual authorized to carry a weapon in a sterile area under a security program.

(c) In checked baggage. A passenger may not transport or offer for transport in checked baggage or in baggage carried in an inaccessible cargo hold under §1562.23 of this chapter:

(1) Any loaded firearm(s).

(2) Any unloaded firearm(s) unless—

(i) The passenger declares to the aircraft operator, either orally or in writing, before checking the baggage, that the passenger has a firearm in his or her bag and that it is unloaded;

(ii) The firearm is unloaded;

(iii) The firearm is carried in a hard-sided container; and

(iv) The container in which it is carried is locked, and only the passenger retains the key or combination.

(3) Any unauthorized explosive or incendiary.

(d) Ammunition. This section does not prohibit the carriage of ammunition in checked baggage or in the same container as a firearm. Title 49 CFR part 175 provides additional requirements governing carriage of ammunition on aircraft.

[67 FR 8353, Feb. 22, 2002, as amended at 67 FR 41639, June 19, 2002; 70 FR 41600, July 19, 2005; 71 FR 30507, May 26, 2006]

<http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr;sid=2d3c52f94cfd7861050fbe840e839858;rgn=div5;view=text;node=49%3A9.1.3.5.9;idno=49;cc=ecfr#se49.9.1540_1111>

49 CFR 1540.111 - Carriage of weapons, explosives, and incendiaries by individuals.
<https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/1540.111>

Traveling with Ammunition
<http://phmsa.dot.gov/safetravel/ammunition>

Hazardous Materials Table - PHMSA
<http://www.phmsa.dot.gov/pv_obj_cache/pv_obj_id_7482D0DD9A1114E18A77788F3DAC7522F4F11500/filename/Alpha_Hazmat_Table.pdf>

Home » Safe Travel » Ammunition
Traveling with Ammunition

What types of boxes are permitted for small arms ammunition?

Small-arms ammunition for personal use may be transported aboard commercial aircraft in checked baggage only. Ammunition must be securely packed in fiber, wood, or metal boxes, or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition. The original retail package is acceptable if the ammunition is held in place and completely covered. Ammo clips and magazines must also be securely boxed.

May I pack my ammunition in a clip or a speed loader?

Yes, as long as the magazine or clip completely and securely encloses the ammunition (e.g., by securely covering the portions of the magazine where the ammunition is exposed with a metal, plastic, or cardboard sleeve).

How much ammunition may I carry?

US DOT regulations do not limit the total number of packages or the total weight that may be transported in checked baggage; however, the ammunition must be for "personal use." Many air carriers limit the amount of small arms ammunition that may be carried in checked baggage to 11 lbs., (5 kg) consistent with international standards. When in doubt, check with your air carrier.

May I carry ammunition components?

You may carry separate non-hazardous components of ammunition such as empty cartridge cases or inert bullets. Separate hazardous components such as black powder, smokeless powder, percussion caps, primers, wrapped charges used in muzzle-loading applications, or similar items are prohibited.

<http://phmsa.dot.gov/safetravel/ammunition>

Passenger Dangerous Goods Corner
<https://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/dgr/Pages/dgr-guidance.aspx>

Passenger Dangerous Goods Corner
Frequently asked questions

I am a sporting shooter and need to travel to a competition with my weapon and ammunition. Is there anything I have to observe?

Sporting weapons and an amount of ammunition up to 5 kg (11 lb) may be in passenger checked baggage only. The weapon must be unloaded and be in its designated transport box. Please check with the airline you intend to travel on to make necessary arrangements.

<https://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/dgr/Pages/dgr-guidance.aspx>

Frequently Asked Questions
<https://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/dgr/Pages/faq.aspx>

Home » Programs » Cargo » Dangerous Goods (HAZMAT) » FAQs
Frequently Asked Questions

Packaging

Can I use any fiberboard box to meet the limited quantity provisions?

No. It is a myth that just any cardboard box will do to meet the requirements. Under the Limited Quantity provisions the fiberboard box must meet certain specifications and be capable of specified drop and stacking tests.

<https://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/dgr/Pages/faq.aspx>

Update: so I had my two hard sided cases. One for pistols, one for ammo. Locked them with non-TSA locks. Put both cases in my luggage. Left MA, went straight to Bradley airport, informed the airline clerk I needed to declare a secured firearm in my luggage. She asked me the standard questions. Were they unloaded? Was the ammo in its original case? We're both the ammo and pistols in a tsa approved case and locked? Then she asked me to sign a form, put in my luggage, and take to the screener and wait for them to tell me it's good. Did that, and it took a minute of them examining it. Thy never asked me to open it. So I was on my way.

Just in case I printed the FOPA and TSA guidelines just in case but was never hassled.

FYI, when I travel with my M&P9 fullsize I leave the mags loaded (not in the gun, but full of ammo) and a full 100rd winchester white box of ammo IN the stock case my pistol came in. Simple standard masterlock padlock through the built in holes on the handle fits nice and snug. I've used every major airport east of the Mississippi and over half west of it and never had an issue at any of them, never asked for a license, never hassled other than the retard explosives swabs they do some major airports.

Update: so I had my two hard sided cases. One for pistols, one for ammo. Locked them with non-TSA locks. Put both cases in my luggage. Left MA, went straight to Bradley airport, informed the airline clerk I needed to declare a secured firearm in my luggage. She asked me the standard questions. Were they unloaded? Was the ammo in its original case? We're both the ammo and pistols in a tsa approved case and locked? Then she asked me to sign a form, put in my luggage, and take to the screener and wait for them to tell me it's good. Did that, and it took a minute of them examining it. Thy never asked me to open it. So I was on my way.

Just in case I printed the FOPA and TSA guidelines just in case but was never hassled.

This is typical.

One thing I do, simply because I'm afraid of pilfering, is I use a large aluminum travel case designed for a scoped rifle even if I'm just bringing a hand gun.
I figure it will be harder for some scumbag TSA goon to pilfer.

But if I'm not bringing a gun somewhere I'm always carry on. And even if I do bring a gun, everything else goes in a carryon. So at baggage pickup, I just have my roller and my large gun case.

Sometimes, I'll stick some things like bottles of booze in the gun case for safe keeping. People you are with when you go hunting tend to appreciate some nice booze.

Matt, thanks for posting your experience and asking the questions to begin with.
Don, thanks for clearing up the confusion, I'm glad I can save the money and not get a CT license. This is a big help to my father and I traveling back and forth to the sunny state. That's a great idea using a long gun box, definitely not easy to sneak away with that. Again, I apologize for posting something I have no idea about.

I dont know know why the local dealer had to make me so paranoid, he obviously has no clue what flip he's talking about and will take my business elsewhere. I would think he would be well informed in all of our surrounding state gun laws seeing he teaches LTC classes, and is second generation owning the shop ...[bs1]

If I have any questions I'll reach out here, seems to be a great wealth of knowledge that I enjoy reading. I wish I joined this site a long time ago!

Back
Top Bottom