• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Flying and guns question

I currently have a MA LTC class A license and need to fly to a state that honors my license, but I need to fly out of Hartford, CT. So I will be driving from central MA to Hartford, CT which does not honor my MA permit. If I follow all the laws as far as secure cases for pistol and ammo from the time I leave my house, would I have trouble upon checking in my case at the airport?

The short answer is NO.

Although the Second Circuit Appeals Court has gutted FOPA and their opinions affect CT, they generally don't hassle people at Bradley. Just make sure you are in compliance with FOPA.

Don

p.s. Now I'm going to read that thread in the members section.

That thread in the members forum seems to be about getting caught in a layover. And the airline handing you your locked case in a non-friendly state. Mine is about traveling to a non-friendly state as my departure airport, then flying to a friendly one. If my firearm is secure when I cross into CT, and I check it immediately at the airport, will FOPA cover me?

secure, got to the airport, check in and go about your business
99.99% odds are they won't even ask for your gun license when you check in

That thread in the members forum seems to be about getting caught in a layover. And the airline handing you your locked case in a non-friendly state. Mine is about traveling to a non-friendly state as my departure airport, then flying to a friendly one. If my firearm is secure when I cross into CT, and I check it immediately at the airport, will FOPA cover me?

My concern would be flying back into Hartford at the end of your trip. You would be flying into a non-friendly state and taking possession.

Other than PA NY/NJ airports, I don't think that anyone has ever had a problem. I've flown out of and into TF Green with no problem, as well as Logan. As far as I can tell, no one from any airline has ever contacted anyone about declared firearms.

I don't even know if you need a permit for mere possession in CT, or just for concealed carry. Even in MD, you don't need a permit to purchase, just to conceal carry. At least my friend who lives there never mentioned that she needed a permit to purchase and keep in her house. MA is way outside the mainstream in that regard when it comes to firearms.

The main concern of the airlines seems to be that the case be declared and locked before they will accept it. Again today, flying out of Logan, they didn't even ask to open the case. Fill out the card, sign it, and they tape it to the outside of the box (if the box is inside a suitcase).

This guy has a lot of information on flying and what not. Do you research and confirm anything that someone tells you.
http://deviating.net/firearms/packing/

x2

Title 49 → Subtitle B → Chapter XII → Subchapter C → Part 1540
<http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr;sid=2d3c52f94cfd7861050fbe840e839858;rgn=div5;view=text;node=49%3A9.1.3.5.9;idno=49;cc=ecfr>

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations
49 → Subtitle B → Chapter XII → Subchapter C → Part 1540
e-CFR data is current as of April 16, 2015

§1540.111 Carriage of weapons, explosives, and incendiaries by individuals.

(a) On an individual's person or accessible property—prohibitions. Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, an individual may not have a weapon, explosive, or incendiary, on or about the individual's person or accessible property—

(1) When performance has begun of the inspection of the individual's person or accessible property before entering a sterile area, or before boarding an aircraft for which screening is conducted under this subchapter;

(2) When the individual is entering or in a sterile area; or

(3) When the individual is attempting to board or onboard an aircraft for which screening is conducted under §§1544.201, 1546.201, or 1562.23 of this chapter.

(b) On an individual's person or accessible property—permitted carriage of a weapon. Paragraph (a) of this section does not apply as to carriage of firearms and other weapons if the individual is one of the following:

(1) Law enforcement personnel required to carry a firearm or other weapons while in the performance of law enforcement duty at the airport.

(2) An individual authorized to carry a weapon in accordance with §§1544.219, 1544.221, 1544.223, 1546.211, or subpart B of part 1562 of this chapter.

(3) An individual authorized to carry a weapon in a sterile area under a security program.

(c) In checked baggage. A passenger may not transport or offer for transport in checked baggage or in baggage carried in an inaccessible cargo hold under §1562.23 of this chapter:

(1) Any loaded firearm(s).

(2) Any unloaded firearm(s) unless—

(i) The passenger declares to the aircraft operator, either orally or in writing, before checking the baggage, that the passenger has a firearm in his or her bag and that it is unloaded;

(ii) The firearm is unloaded;

(iii) The firearm is carried in a hard-sided container; and

(iv) The container in which it is carried is locked, and only the passenger retains the key or combination.

(3) Any unauthorized explosive or incendiary.

(d) Ammunition. This section does not prohibit the carriage of ammunition in checked baggage or in the same container as a firearm. Title 49 CFR part 175 provides additional requirements governing carriage of ammunition on aircraft.

[67 FR 8353, Feb. 22, 2002, as amended at 67 FR 41639, June 19, 2002; 70 FR 41600, July 19, 2005; 71 FR 30507, May 26, 2006]

<http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr;sid=2d3c52f94cfd7861050fbe840e839858;rgn=div5;view=text;node=49%3A9.1.3.5.9;idno=49;cc=ecfr#se49.9.1540_1111>

49 CFR 1540.111 - Carriage of weapons, explosives, and incendiaries by individuals.
<https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/1540.111>

Traveling with Ammunition
<http://phmsa.dot.gov/safetravel/ammunition>

Hazardous Materials Table - PHMSA
<http://www.phmsa.dot.gov/pv_obj_cache/pv_obj_id_7482D0DD9A1114E18A77788F3DAC7522F4F11500/filename/Alpha_Hazmat_Table.pdf>

Home » Safe Travel » Ammunition
Traveling with Ammunition

What types of boxes are permitted for small arms ammunition?

Small-arms ammunition for personal use may be transported aboard commercial aircraft in checked baggage only. Ammunition must be securely packed in fiber, wood, or metal boxes, or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition. The original retail package is acceptable if the ammunition is held in place and completely covered. Ammo clips and magazines must also be securely boxed.

May I pack my ammunition in a clip or a speed loader?

Yes, as long as the magazine or clip completely and securely encloses the ammunition (e.g., by securely covering the portions of the magazine where the ammunition is exposed with a metal, plastic, or cardboard sleeve).

How much ammunition may I carry?

US DOT regulations do not limit the total number of packages or the total weight that may be transported in checked baggage; however, the ammunition must be for "personal use." Many air carriers limit the amount of small arms ammunition that may be carried in checked baggage to 11 lbs., (5 kg) consistent with international standards. When in doubt, check with your air carrier.

May I carry ammunition components?

You may carry separate non-hazardous components of ammunition such as empty cartridge cases or inert bullets. Separate hazardous components such as black powder, smokeless powder, percussion caps, primers, wrapped charges used in muzzle-loading applications, or similar items are prohibited.

<http://phmsa.dot.gov/safetravel/ammunition>

Passenger Dangerous Goods Corner
<https://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/dgr/Pages/dgr-guidance.aspx>

Passenger Dangerous Goods Corner
Frequently asked questions

I am a sporting shooter and need to travel to a competition with my weapon and ammunition. Is there anything I have to observe?

Sporting weapons and an amount of ammunition up to 5 kg (11 lb) may be in passenger checked baggage only. The weapon must be unloaded and be in its designated transport box. Please check with the airline you intend to travel on to make necessary arrangements.

<https://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/dgr/Pages/dgr-guidance.aspx>

Frequently Asked Questions
<https://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/dgr/Pages/faq.aspx>

Home » Programs » Cargo » Dangerous Goods (HAZMAT) » FAQs
Frequently Asked Questions

Packaging

Can I use any fiberboard box to meet the limited quantity provisions?

No. It is a myth that just any cardboard box will do to meet the requirements. Under the Limited Quantity provisions the fiberboard box must meet certain specifications and be capable of specified drop and stacking tests.

<https://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/dgr/Pages/faq.aspx>

Last edited:
I live here in CT and have flown many times with both pistols and long guns out of BDL. Never have I been asked to show a permit or any documentation that would prove I have the "right" to have a handgun in CT, even though I do. Frankly, the first time I flew with a handgun in my luggage, I was sure they would ask me to show them my permit but never did. Gun was locked and packed in a hard case, locked, left in my luggage and off it went to the destination. This is NOT to say for 100% sure that someday that might change. Don't know why it would. I know that in NY they DO ask and have caught many travelers. In effect, when you carry your luggage out of the trunk you are considered to have "constructive receipt" of your handgun (even though it's locked up) so, since you don't have a local state permit, the law could easily be against you. As stated above, coming home is the same thing. You're in possession of a handgun without the proper permit.

Oh, also study up on diverted flights. I did not read the post mentioned but the essence of it will probably be......DON'T collect your bag in NY or NJ if you are diverted. Have a supervisor go with you and have them hold your bag until the next flight so you are never in receipt of your gun in a non-permitted state.e

The bottom line? I tend to be very conservative when it comes to flying with guns because it's not just an inconvenience that happens but a life-altering event, getting arrested and losing my rights. I would not fly out of Hartford with a handgun without a CT permit because of the unknown factor of being challenged while checking in even though it hasn't happened to my knowlege. As a CT resident, non-permitted in MA, I won't fly out of Boston with a handgun for the very reason. Too many chances that I'd get singled out somehow and ruin things. Just my opinion, take it for what it's worth.

Rome

I recently had this discussion with a local gun shop about the same airport, and he's well versed in transporting firearms out of state. His advice, which seems to be the most fail safe, is to get a non resident LTC in CT. Granted other people have stated they haven't had a problem, my luck I would be that .01% that gets carded. So the cost of getting the CT LTC is much cheaper than getting in trouble with the law. My opinion it's not worth the risk taking a chance. Shipping the firearm is also an option.

Last edited:
+1 on getting a non-resident license/permit for CT. I ended up applying for my MA non-resident LTC before we planned a trip that required air travel. Just in case we had to go through Logan.

We have a trip planned and I'll be sure to do the following:
1. Pack everything according to the TSA's and the airline's' policies.
2. Print two copies of the TSA and airline polices.
3. Print an extra copy of the LTC/permit/P&R license.
4. Take a picture and email a copy of the luggage, firearm (including serial number).
5. Arrive 30 minutes earlier than what the airline suggests.

My concern would be flying back into Hartford at the end of your trip. You would be flying into a non-friendly state and taking possession.

Why? You're in FOPA compliance and to the best of my knowledge, nobody has ever been hassled picking up firearms at BDL.

- - - Updated - - -

Getting caught in a layover is how most people get caught in NY/NJ at the Port Authority airports.

Don

I recently had this discussion with a local gun shop about the same airport, and he's well versed in transporting firearms out of state. His advice, which seems to be the most fail safe, is to get a non resident LTC in CT. Granted other people have stated they haven't had a problem, my luck I would be that .01% that gets carded. So the cost of getting the CT LTC is much cheaper than getting in trouble with the law. My opinion it's not worth the risk taking a chance. Shipping the firearm is also an option.

This is a MA resident's solution to everything. Seriously no insult is inetnded. But you don't need permission TWICE from government to do this.

I feel another offer coming on. Because I"m not as sure as my offer re death or serious injury by bullets absent a gun. (That $100 bill is still in my pocket. )

I'll offer $50 to anyone who can come up with any example of an otherwise law abiding person arrested and prosecuted for a firearms offense trying to check a gun through Bradley.

Step right up and take my money.

Don

p.s. I fully intend to pay. But if I do lose, I'm hoping you will instead have me donate it to Comm2A in your name. I will of course provide proof of donation made.

Fly out of manchester or ship the gun. Just because it hasnt happened wont mean you wont be the first. I dont trust CT anymore

On my business trips i try to fly out of manchester so i have no worries about hicaps and such.
I try not to give money to unfriendly states when i can.

Otherwise send to an ffl to where your flying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No offense sir, but I'll trust my dealers advice that has been in the industry for a very long time over someone on the Internet. All it takes is one time to be up to your ear lobes in trouble. The cost of the LTC is peanuts compared to hiring a lawyer, court, spending the night in jail in Hartford.... Never been to jail, but I'm guessing one in Hartford isn't a pleasant stay! Yeah it sucks, but unfortunately that's the way it is. It's a free country, well at least in some ways, do what ya feel like doing and I wish ya the best of luck.
This is a MA resident's solution to everything. Seriously no insult is inetnded. But you don't need permission TWICE from government to do this.

No offense sir, but I'll trust my dealers advice that has been in the industry for a very long time over someone on the Internet. All it takes is one time to be up to your ear lobes in trouble. The cost of the LTC is peanuts compared to hiring a lawyer, court, spending the night in jail in Hartford.... Never been to jail, but I'm guessing one in Hartford isn't a pleasant stay! Yeah it sucks, but unfortunately that's the way it is. It's a free country, well at least in some ways, do what ya feel like doing and I wish ya the best of luck.
You realize that dmcdon is an ffl and was one in CT as well?

Also, taking advice from anyone that isnt going to represent you in court without verifying is just irresponsible.

I'm sorry I had no idea, I just play it by the book when it comes to firearms. If you have a LTC there, no way to get into trouble....

From what hat I just looked up online in CT law dcmdon is absolutely right, anyone permitted to carry a firearm can do so. I'll put my foot in my mouth now, and am now second guessing if my dealer even knows what he's talking about. [thinking]

Last edited:
I travel for work all the time and fly out of Bradley, I live in MA. I carry when going to states that honor my LTC A. I've never had an issue at Bradley. It's a super easy process and no-one asks questions. As long as the gun is unloaded and packed correctly, you're fine. I usually have a box of Hornady Critical defense in my check-in luggage too, you can carry up to 11lbs of ammo (but do check with the airline on that one) on most airlines as long as it is in the original packaging.

I also carry while flying a helicopter at work but thats' different ;)

The 11 pound thing is apparently an FAA rule. I have no idea how they came up with that. I did once have someone from SWA insist it was 11 oz, until she realized how silly that was. :) Jet Blue has a goofy rule that the ammunition can't be in the same locked box as the firearms. Air Tran had the same rule, but now that SWA owns them and the brand is dead, it's moot.

Ammuntion has to be in the "original package" or packaging designed for ammunition. No one seems to care, I've packed it in Tupperware in the past. I have a couple of small MTM cases that I haven't used yet, but those should be fine.

The carry while flying a helicopter story is probably more interesting than this thread! ;)

I travel for work all the time and fly out of Bradley, I live in MA. I carry when going to states that honor my LTC A. I've never had an issue at Bradley. It's a super easy process and no-one asks questions. As long as the gun is unloaded and packed correctly, you're fine. I usually have a box of Hornady Critical defense in my check-in luggage too, you can carry up to 11lbs of ammo (but do check with the airline on that one) on most airlines as long as it is in the original packaging.

I also carry while flying a helicopter at work but thats' different ;)

2 years ago I flew from Bradley to Dallas while changing duty stations. I announced to the TSA women in baggage check in that I had a firearm and she politely asked me to open the locked hard case it was in where she then placed a card in it and had me lock the case back up and had me on my way. When I came back home I had 2 extra non-MA compliant locked cases :) and and TSA never even had me open the cases and simply threw the same card into luggage the boxes were in and had me on my way. I was picked up at Bradley and went straight home without making a stop. So the process was simple and I never worried about it though I don't know how much laws in CT have changed in the last year. I also won't add that in certain countries (won't say which) I wasn't of legal drinking age. Overall it's a simple process, try not to over think it, carry a print out of the laws of where your coming and going from and airline and TSA rules as I did and as soon as your off the plane run to baggage and get your stuff.

Thats why I offered $50 to anyone who could find a single instance of an otherwise law abiding person having problems at BDL.

I'm confident nobody will find anything.

I love it how people come on this forum and participate in giving/getting advice. But then when someone backs them into a corner with logic, they drag out the old "Dont' trust what you hear on the Internet.

- - - Updated - - -

Fly out of manchester or ship the gun. Just because it hasnt happened wont mean you wont be the first. I dont trust CT anymore

On my business trips i try to fly out of manchester so i have no worries about hicaps and such.
I try not to give money to unfriendly states when i can.

Otherwise send to an ffl to where your flying

Its all about your risk tolerance. If you want to refuse to exercise your rights within the law, that's your prerogative.

I think we can all agree on a few things. I'm going to run down these FACTS. And the OP can draw his own conclusions.

1) FOPA safe passage paragraph would protect you when traveling provided you abide by its restrictions.
2) The 2nd Circuit court of appeals has gutted FOPA in its circuit. (which includes CT, MA, NY, etc)
3) There is NO history of people being hassled at either Bradley or Logan.

We can argue about risk and what you would do and what I would do. But I dont' think any knowledgeable person would disagree with my 3 highlighted points above.

Don

Last edited:
2 years ago I flew from Bradley to Dallas while changing duty stations. I announced to the TSA women in baggage check in that I had a firearm and she politely asked me to open the locked hard case it was in where she then placed a card in it and had me lock the case back up and had me on my way. When I came back home I had 2 extra non-MA compliant locked cases :) and and TSA never even had me open the cases and simply threw the same card into luggage the boxes were in and had me on my way. I was picked up at Bradley and went straight home without making a stop. So the process was simple and I never worried about it though I don't know how much laws in CT have changed in the last year. I also won't add that in certain countries (won't say which) I wasn't of legal drinking age. Overall it's a simple process, try not to over think it, carry a print out of the laws of where your coming and going from and airline and TSA rules as I did and as soon as your off the plane run to baggage and get your stuff.

There is no such thing as a "non-ma compliant locked case". If its locked and would be considered to be a "secure container", its MA compliant. Unless there is some case law I don't know about. Rob Boudrie?? Len???

Also, don't forget that unless a rifle or shotgun is considered to be "large capacity" there is NO legal requirement to case it. Also, there is no legal requirement to case unloaded handguns. Per the law, you could drive down the road with revolvers and tube fed shotguns strewn about the car and be in full compliance with 131c. (see link)
Its not wise. But its legal.

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131c

Don

Last edited:
Go, you'll be fine. I fly out of Hartford and Logan and neither care about whether you have a permit in that state. It has nothing to do with the firearm check in process.

Unless there is some case law I don't know about. Rob Boudrie?? Len???
MA approval is required for cases/locks that are required to be sold with handguns and large capacity long guns.

There is no MA approval requires for cases/locks uses to meet the safe storage requirements.

Also, there is no legal requirement to case unloaded handguns. Per the law, you could drive down the road with revolvers and tube fed shotguns strewn about the car and be in full compliance with 131c. (see link)
Yes, but you would risk being charged with not having the unsecured firearms in your direct control.

Back
Top Bottom