Flying after a range trip?

Did the dog truly detect something or did the handler signal the dog as a pretext for a search? I suspect it's more often than not the latter.
No handler is going to try to get their dog decertified like that. Handlers get very upset when their K9 alerts and they don’t find anything - it’s very bad news for them.

Any chance this was at New Mexico Tech?
Nope, was hosted at a CA National Guard base. No idea how or why we got an invitation, but when my boss got it, I was halfway to my car before he finished his sentence! “Hey, you want to go watch the FBI blow all kinds of shit up down at...” and I was already on my way out the door!

Did the dog truly detect something or did the handler signal the dog as a pretext for a search? I suspect it's more often than not the latter.
All I know is the dog barked softly when I stopped at the gate and he told me to pull over. He told me the dog alerted to explosives and then he searched my car. The dog then alerted when he was in the trunk of the SUV and again in the back seat.

I got swabbed the other day, the TSA guy said the swab was for explosives, not gunpowder residue.
Although things may have changed, back in 2000 on our way to Israel we had a 4 hour layover in the middle of the night in Zurich. They wheeled in a huge machine and started to setup. I asked one of the officers (police running this show) if gunpowder would show up and the answer was no. One of my bags had been used as a range bag. They swabbed everyone's bag and lots of items in the bags, nothing alerted.

I thought they only swabbed on a random basis. Happened once to me in 800k US air miles. They said it was a false positive trigger?

I fly a lot and I put 0 thought into what Im doing the day/night prior, may often be shooting guns, cleaning guns, chemicals from fiberglass work, working on engines, kerosene or petro products - hopefully that nasty stuff isnt getting all over me but sometimes it does.

If I was leaving the country I may think twice but in the US its bad enough the shit we deal with in airports. If they want to give me hell over a mysterious test result processed by a rent-a-cop using a voodoo machine I'm just gonna roll with the punches, sue them later if possible.

Just don't do what a friend of mine did in Louisiana. He uses that same bag for his range and carry on bag. He forgot that he had a gun and ammunition in the bag and got stopped by TSA. Fortunately, he knew the sheriff's deputy who TSA handed the gun off to. He got the gun back and there were no criminal charges.

He did, however, have to rent a car and drive for 16 hours to his speaking engagement the next day. TSA would not let him fly that day. He also got a letter with a hefty fine a few weeks later. He was able to negotiate that down quite a bit and they accepted a payment plan. Still, it was an unpleasant and expensive experience.

Although things may have changed, back in 2000 on our way to Israel we had a 4 hour layover in the middle of the night in Zurich. They wheeled in a huge machine and started to setup. I asked one of the officers (police running this show) if gunpowder would show up and the answer was no. One of my bags had been used as a range bag. They swabbed everyone's bag and lots of items in the bags, nothing alerted.

I once went to Logan with two 9mm rounds in by back pocket.
The naked scanner caught them.

The 16-year-old looking TSA agent was shaking as he asked me, "Are these live?"

State Police came, asked me a few reasonable questions (and a few unreasonable). Then they checked for outstanding warrens and let me go on.
The two colleagues I was flying with were laughing their asses off and drinking beers, through the whole ordeal.

TSA is a joke in this regard. I've had a few false positives in my years flying and I've watched a woman bringing candles home have TWO positives on a candle. They tested it a 3rd time on another machine negative and then took the first one out of service.

Just this morning a millimeter wave scanner froze while I was about to walk in at Manchester. Well, the scanning gate hardware didnt freeze, but the software detection did in the background. It was detected just before it was my turn. They didnt realize it until they tried to calibrate and it wouldn't. Who know how many people went through with clear scans before they figured it out.

I go out of my way to wear range-travelled shoes to the airport. Zero attention to them, but there's usually a fals positive from the scanner when I keep folded paper in my shirt pocket, but somehow the fat sweaty TSA agent with the blue gloves wants to feel the junk area. My son laughs about it every time it happens to me

I go out of my way to wear range-travelled shoes to the airport. Zero attention to them, but there's usually a fals positive from the scanner when I keep folded paper in my shirt pocket, but somehow the fat sweaty TSA agent with the blue gloves wants to feel the junk area. My son laughs about it every time it happens to me

Ever packed a box of business cards in a carry on? They literally treat them like a block of C4 every time I go to a tradeshow. If your equipment can't identify the difference between paper and explosives, it's probably not very effective.

Ever packed a box of business cards in a carry on? They literally treat them like a block of C4 every time I go to a tradeshow. If your equipment can't identify the difference between paper and explosives, it's probably not very effective.
Lol, really?

I bring like 200 business cards in my carry on when I travel, never had issue. I also never had an issue with my 556 casing keychain.

My wife got poison ivy or something similar up in Canada. She covered her diseased hands and arms with medicinal cream and lotion.

She hit positive in the sniffer machine and got the backroom treatment. Five of them, including two guards covering the door. HUH?

I explained to the guard outside that she had poison ivy. Could that have anything to do with it. And he said yup, happens all the time.

Lol, really?

I bring like 200 business cards in my carry on when I travel, never had issue. I also never had an issue with my 556 casing keychain.

Really. There's all sorts of weird TSA issues that vary from location to location. Like Atlanta always swab and searches your checked luggage if you have a firearm.

I've been yelled at because I took my shoes off at one airport. Apparently at that particular location shoes are not bombs, but everywhere else they are.

It's all a ridiculous charade. The next aviation tragedy will just be a suicide bomber killing hundreds of people standing in line at TSA. Because government is stupid and thinks herds are a good idea.

Smokeless gun powder does not register on the explosive detector swaps. Black power might, but I don't know for sure.

I always wonder if double base powder would set off a detector though, it contains nitroglycerine in addiction to nitrocellulose which is far more common.

-Mike

Ive brought all sorts of benign odd items on airplanes, ie a cooler of ice and live lobsters, a quart sized bag containing only vodka nips :), drill batteries, odd electrical equipment - what sets off the alarms requiring the bomb check 75% of the time? Gummy worms.

Actually now that I think about it the thing that actually got me briefly questioned in Boston was an old pair of steel toe boots - was told "this is an awfully strange thing to fly with".

Last time I flew I wore the same pair of jeans I wore to the range the day before, I checked my cuffs for brass right before I left, and found two. [laugh]
I've definitely also had a loose round or two in a carry on. I found them weeks after the trip.

Last time I flew I wore the same pair of jeans I wore to the range the day before, I checked my cuffs for brass right before I left, and found two. [laugh]
I've definitely also had a loose round or two in a carry on. I found them weeks after the trip.
Similar situation but different......

I run practice plate shoots at the club. We charge a nominal fee for upkeep of the racks, paint, replacement plates etc.....$3 for the night shoot till it's dark or your out of ammo. Anyway.....I have a cash collection box I use for this. I'm also involved in my sons high school crew team with the parents assn.......the end of year banquet I was in charge of cash collection at the door. I used the same box.....see where this is going? The banquet was at the high school cafeteria......half way through checking everyone in my wife takes the top tray off the box to access the quarters I put in there and there were 3 spent casings in it! She slapped the top back on before anyone could see them......I grabbed the box and said to everyone in line "be right back"......took the box outside and took the casings and put them in my pocket and came back. Disaster avoided.

What a shame we have to live in fear all the time.

I recently traveled air for some work related training. Flew from STL to MI via Chicago. TSA took a brand new aftershave bottle that I had (my fault for not checking the size/ounce limitation) . But, when I get to my room, I unzip my carry on bag to retrieve my ipad, and find a G43 magazine loaded to capacity? I was only gone for a day so all I traveled with was really just a back-pack with a change of clothes, and I often use that back pack for all sorts of things to include quick range trips.

I thought the whole thing was funny and ironic. All I did was just toss the ammunition from the magazine and all was good for the return flight.

I just walk through buck naked and with no bag. It's all about the full disclosure. And for the record. Yes it is cold in those airports!

Back
Top Bottom