• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Flying after a range trip?

I recently traveled air for some work related training. Flew from STL to MI via Chicago. TSA took a brand new aftershave bottle that I had (my fault for not checking the size/ounce limitation) . But, when I get to my room, I unzip my carry on bag to retrieve my ipad, and find a G43 magazine loaded to capacity? I was only gone for a day so all I traveled with was really just a back-pack with a change of clothes, and I often use that back pack for all sorts of things to include quick range trips.

I thought the whole thing was funny and ironic. All I did was just toss the ammunition from the magazine and all was good for the return flight.
Damn dude.

How did you dispose of them? ... flush and hope it doesnt clog the toilet?

Was flying from Ecuador to Peru. To get to baggage claim you need to walk thru the duty free shop. Kid you not, you must walk thru there. Exit the shop, a guard dog literally attacks my bag. Got very worried, then realized I had put a banana there to eat later, and the dog picked that out. Very impressive! Policeman took my banana and tossed it. I guess you never know what diseases an unopened Columbian banana might have that it's neighboring country doesn't. 2nd world country, didn't argue with the guy.

If you shower/bathe daily, why would this be an issue?

Actually that can cause an issue with the scanners. If you have any soapy residue on left on your body (let's say you were rushing to take a quick shower before catching your flight and missed a spot) the soap can appear as concealed explosives to the mm wave x-ray machine. Ask me how I know! Thankfully it only resulted in me having the small of my back patted down and not the back room treatment.

I've never had a problem with GSR causing an issue though, even with using the same backpack as a range bag and a carry on. I did turn it inside out, making sure there were no remaining guns, ammo, casings, etc in it before using it as a carry on though.

Was flying from Ecuador to Peru. To get to baggage claim you need to walk thru the duty free shop. Kid you not, you must walk thru there. Exit the shop, a guard dog literally attacks my bag. Got very worried, then realized I had put a banana there to eat later, and the dog picked that out. Very impressive! Policeman took my banana and tossed it. I guess you never know what diseases an unopened Columbian banana might have that it's neighboring country doesn't. 2nd world country, didn't argue with the guy.
Since when does Columbia, SC export bananas to Ecuador?

Maybe the banana had gun oil from the FN factory and that's what the dog smelled.

ha. wife says early dementia, I say fingers typing faster than brain. happens too frequently these days.

I got searched going into hanscom and the bomb dog hit on my car going through the gate. ... Guard simply smiled and asked if I had my guns with me today and replied no...
So was the guard unarmed,
or was the bomb dog frantically humping his leg alerting to his service weapon when you drove up?

I took a course once where we handled all sorts of explosives and we were given letters to take with us for our return flights just in case
Still using your letter? If not, the OP could use the karma.

I have had TSA miss spent ammo in my bag, but they fondled my junk because of 3 bananas in the same carry on...
They were just glad to see you.

Why would you use your range bags as carry-on luggage? Seems like too much potential for something to go wrong
just what i have available. they work perfectly.
You need to get a second NRA life membership,
and a second set of range bags.
P. S. TSA loves seeing them on the conveyor belt.

I discovered a spent 9 mm case in my pocket while emptying them into the bins in Charlotte, it was an O - shit moment, but I stepped out of the line, saw a trash barrel, tossed it in and no one said anything, works for me.
Did you wipe your prints and DNA off of it,
or is there an all-points-bulletin with your name on it now?

Smokeless gun powder does not register on the explosive detector swaps. Black power might, but I don't know for sure.
It would be politically incorrect to test for that.

I thought they only swabbed on a random basis.
That's what they want the terrorists to think.
In fact, the toilet paper at the airport is treated with nanotube sensors.

If you shower/bathe daily, why would this be an issue?
Here is a dime. Take it, call your mother,
and tell her there is serious doubt about you ever becoming a ham radio operator

I've watched a woman bringing candles home have TWO positives on a candle.
Hold that thought.

Just this morning a millimeter wave scanner froze while I was about to walk in at Manchester. ... They didnt realize it until they tried to calibrate and it wouldn't. Who know how many people went through with clear scans before they figured it out.
tumblr_o986n4tbRK1qmob6ro1_500.gif

Ever packed a box of business cards in a carry on? They literally treat them like a block of C4 every time I go to a tradeshow. If your equipment can't identify the difference between paper and explosives, it's probably not very effective.
What difference?

My wife got poison ivy or something similar up in Canada. She covered her diseased hands and arms with medicinal cream and lotion.

She hit positive in the sniffer machine ...
Pro-tip: Avoid the the calomine-scented aisle at Yankee Candle.

Ive brought all sorts of benign odd items on airplanes, ie a cooler of ice and live lobsters, a quart sized bag containing only vodka nips :), drill batteries, odd electrical equipment ...
Shoot, a fella’ could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.

I recently traveled air for some work related training. ... when I get to my room, I unzip my carry on bag ... and find a G43 magazine loaded to capacity? ... All I did was just toss the ammunition from the magazine and all was good for the return flight.
Wait a minute - you flew home carrying an inert piece of plastic and metal?

How did you dispose of them? ... flush and hope it doesnt clog the toilet?
Hotel-grade toilets will suck down almost anything.

So was the guard unarmed,
or was the bomb dog frantically humping his leg alerting to his service weapon when you drove up?

Still using your letter? If not, the OP could use the karma.

They were just glad to see you.

You need to get a second NRA life membership,
and a second set of range bags.
P. S. TSA loves seeing them on the conveyor belt.

Did you wipe your prints and DNA off of it,
or is there an all-points-bulletin with your name on it now?

It would be politically incorrect to test for that.

That's what they want the terrorists to think.
In fact, the toilet paper at the airport is treated with nanotube sensors.

Here is a dime. Take it, call your mother,
and tell her there is serious doubt about you ever becoming a ham radio operator

Hold that thought.

tumblr_o986n4tbRK1qmob6ro1_500.gif

What difference?

Pro-tip: Avoid the the calomine-scented aisle at Yankee Candle.

Shoot, a fella’ could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.

Wait a minute - you flew home carrying an inert piece of plastic and metal?

Hotel-grade toilets will suck down almost anything.
Wow your on a f***ing trip! Dug up a 12 year old narco thread at 12:36am to post a fairly mundane comment.....then this Daisy chain of a reply post of meaningless time spent at the keyboard.

I admittedly did not read all three pages but what I did read didn't mention checking your shoes/boots for spent brass. In many hiking-type books the cleats are deep enough to swallow up to .223 brass, most certainly .22 brass. I know because my buddy found some lodged in his boots. As you may know in MA, having spent brass on your person or in your car can be pretty bad. As for GSR? I shot at high-power at Camp Perry in the morning and flew home later that same morning without any type of cleaning. No problems. I will admit, however, that while in line, the three nuns in front of me had to go through the "blower" while I walked around just being wanded. Go figure.

Back
Top Bottom