• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

fixed sights - POI

I'd like to raise the point of impact of my pistol - S&W 4053 - it shoot low for the point of aim.

What need to be done to accomplish this? Shorter front sight blade?

If this has been covered, please point me to the thread,
Thanks

Shoot it from a bench rest at 50', aiming at the center of your target. Take it to a gunsmith (e.g., Santurri) along with the target. The solution will be either a shorter front sight blade or simply milling a couple thousandth's off the top of the front sight blade.

I'd like to raise the point of impact of my pistol - S&W 4053 - it shoot low for the point of aim.

What need to be done to accomplish this? Shorter front sight blade?

If this has been covered, please point me to the thread,
Thanks
\

S&W sells several front sights of different heights for most of their pistols. You need a lower front sight. Call S&W; it would help if you could tell them the height of the stock sight. These sights are easy to install with a brass drift, but be careful as the dovetail for the front sight may be tapered so the the sight must be installed or removed from one direction only.

PS I am familiar with this problem. I bought a S&W 4516 that shot beautiful groups at 50 yds. Too bad the groups were 18 inches below point of aim. A shorter front sight cured the problem.

Here's the formula you need. Sight radius x amount of error in inches divided by distance to target in inches. File that amount off the front sight. Before you file the sight, settle on what load you'll be using.

S&W designs every gun to be accurate with a certain weight bullet at 75ft..

For instance, S&W 38's are all designed to shoot at 75ft with 158gr bullets, using any thing else might be close to accurate but using the 158gr you will notice the difference.

Call them and ask what weight bullet to use first and see what they say.

Back
Top Bottom