• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Fitchburg Councilor Wants Gun BuyBack Program

They just put the gun buyback issue up on the Sentinel/Enterprise Blog a little while ago. No comments yet, and I'm getting my thoughts together:

http://www.twin-citiesblog.com/2006/07/money_for_guns.html#more

"Money for Guns

The Sentinel & Enterprise broke the news Monday that Fitchburg City Councilor Dean Tran wants the city to start its first ever gun buyback plan.
Tran said good cities develop plans, like gun buyback programs, to get illegal guns off the street as quickly as possible.
A bad city has no programs, which is where Fitchburg stands now, Tran said.
"It's a worthy program, and it's something the city of Fitchburg should explore and possible implement," he said.

But Police Chief Ed Cronin said studies into buyback programs have not endorsed them.
"They don't recommend it as an effective measure," Cronin said. "I go by the state of the art in research."

Cronin said in an earlier interview that a big focus has to be on why local youth turn to guns so quickly to solve problems.
Do you think the city should launch a buy-back program where people turning in guns are making money to do so?
Do you think such a program really helps, or will the criminals just go get other guns, and hit the streets with some extra money in their pocket.
Let us know how you feel."

tele_mark said:
They just put the gun buyback issue up on the Sentinel/Enterprise Blog a little while ago. No comments yet, and I'm getting my thoughts together:

I'm in. [devil2]

BillK said:
Going back to the topic I think the city should do a buyback in fact I think every town/city should have a buyback running

I'm not so sure about that. This sounds to me like Economics 101 and the efficient allocation of capital principle.

While it sounds nice for every town to operate a continuing buyback program to get "unwanted" guns off of the street, the fact is every town is faced with practical limits on its resources in terms of funds and personnel. These limits require that available resources be expended on programs/initiatives that are proven to be successful in lowering crime rates.

Given the fact that most credible research shows that gun buyback programs are not proven tools for lowering the rate of gun-related crime, they must be considered a luxury, only implemented when all critical policing needs have been fully funded/staffed.

Last edited:
Figures...

Here is my comment that had my link to stats to support it removed. [thinking] Who runs that blog???

Boston gun buy back = gun crime has increased by 62% this year.

Criminals don’t turn in guns. Someone needs to tell Dean Tran to pull his head out of the sand. At least Police Chief Ed Cronin knows that any program like this will waste much needed taxpayer dollars, take resources away from the police department, and will have a negative effect on violent crime in the city.

Heh! The other side just got its first comment in. And it's not even an original thought -- it's an almost verbatim Brady Bunch quote, probably cut and pasted:

"I've never spoken to a single police officer that wanted more unregistered guns in their district. If a buyback program takes illegal, unregistered guns off the street and off the beat of our local police, how can it be a bad thing?"

I tried to reply to this post.

I've never spoken to a single police officer that wanted more unregistered guns in their district. If a buyback program takes illegal, unregistered guns off the street and off the beat of our local police, how can it be a bad thing?

I don't remember how it went. But it was tactful and should have been posted.

derek said:
I tried to reply to this post.

I've never spoken to a single police officer that wanted more unregistered guns in their district. If a buyback program takes illegal, unregistered guns off the street and off the beat of our local police, how can it be a bad thing?

I don't remember how it went. But it was tactful and should have been posted.

Probably because you had posted recently; my post was also in response to that post and was just accepted.

Ken

KMaurer said:
Probably because you had posted recently; my post was also in response to that post and was just accepted.

Ken

I responded to that quote as well, citing my experience as an LEO and it didn't seem to make the cut either. [thinking]

oh well.

RJ

The reason for the continuing crime is right under these idiots noses, and they Can't see it!!!!!

The highest bail -- $2500 cash!!!!!

http://sentinelandenterprise.com/ci_4052741

5 busted in drug raid
By J.J. Huggins
Sentinel & Enterprise

LEOMINSTER -- Police arrested five people during a bizarre drug raid on Central Street -- where investigators found frozen animals in the freezer -- sparking cries of relief from residents who are fed up with addicts in the neighborhood.

"Everybody on the street knows what kind of activity happens there," Heather Mazzaferro said Thursday, referring to a second-floor apartment at 166 Central St. "So we were all hoping something would happen soon."

A group of officers from the city police department, the North Worcester Country Drug Task Force and the state police raided the home Wednesday evening.

Police found the building "heavily barricaded with metal bars and other items," according to a report written by Leominster Det. Joseph L. Siciliano Jr.

The home also had cameras set up for surveillance, according to Siciliano.

"A search of the apartment was done and numerous hypodermic needles and syringes were found, along with scales, baggies and baking soda on the bedroom dresser," Siciliano wrote. "There were also dead animals [birds, cats] in the freezer."

Police found eight people inside the apartment, according to the report.

The officers also had "information" that a gray Geo Metro, which they had a search warrant for, was "in the area," Siciliano wrote.

They stopped the car about 50 yards from the building, and the vehicle had two suspects inside -- Ana L. Rosario, 32, and Paul J. Perla, 44 -- according to the report.

Rosario cooperated with the officers and told them "she had cocaine hidden on her," and that "Perla asked her to hold it" when police stopped them, according to the report.

Police had the two suspects go into the home because it was raining at the time, according to the report.

A female officer went into the bathroom with Rosario, and Rosario removed a bag containing about seven grams of cocaine from inside her pants, according to the report.

Police charged Rosario, who lives at 10 Ninth St., and Perla, who lives in the apartment that was raided, with possession of a class B substance with intent to distribute and conspiracy to violate drug laws.

They charged Troy R. Thiboutot, 37, homeless, with possession of a class B substance (subsequent offense), alleging that he had "two glass tubes containing 'crack' cocaine in it in his pants pocket," according to the report.

They charged Jeremy K. Sanborn, 24, whom police list as also living in the apartment, with possession of a hypodermic needle because he had a case containing "hypodermic needles and syringes next to him," according to the report.

The officers also arrested Joseph Bachand of 79 Regina Drive, who had outstanding warrants, according to the report.

Residents who live in the area, which is a mix of single- and multi-family homes, said they were happy police arrested the drug suspects, but were shocked to hear about the dead animals in the freezer.

"I'm so glad," said Mazzaferro, who lives on nearby Central Place. "We'll wake up in the middle of the night and they're staggering down the street. Our cars have been broken into."

Mazzaferro has two children, ages two and 12, and she tells them to never talk to the addicts walking about the neighborhood.

There is a vacant house on Central Place that has missing windows and an overgrown lawn.

Mazzaferro said she sees drug addicts going in and out of the building "all the time."

Patti Cochran, who lives up the street on Eden Glen, said she also frequently sees people in the area who look like they're on drugs.

The drug raid is good news, she said.

"We were kind of happy they're cleaning it up," she said while standing in her doorway.

Nobody answered the front door to the large, yellow multi-family house at 166 Central St. Thursday afternoon.

The drug suspects appeared in Leominster District Court that day.

Assistant Clerk Magistrate Michael Croteau set bail at $100 cash or $1,000 surety for Perla, who has had prior drug offenses, according to court documents.

Perla is due back in court on Aug. 7.

Croteau released Rosario on personal recognizance, and her case was continued to Aug. 2 and Aug. 7, according to court documents.

Croteau ordered Thiboutot, who allegedly has an extensive criminal background, held on $2,500 cash or $25,000 surety, according to court documents.

Thiboutot is due back in court today for a bail review hearing, according to court documents.

Croteau set bail at $150 cash for Bachand, and he is due back in court on Aug. 7, according to court documents.

Croteau released Sanborn on personal recognizance, and he is due back in court on Aug. 7 as well, according to court documents.

Sanborn, during an interview outside the courtroom, said he didn't know why the animals were in the freezer, and that he asked Perla about it because he thought it was "a little weird to be keeping it."

Sanborn said he used to have an addiction problem, but said he has been sober for "about two years and seven months."

"They found the hypodermic needle in the back room, and because I was near the room, they charged me," he said. "Hopefully I can get all this cleared up and move on."

The site of the drug raid is located in the Ward 2 section of the city.

"I've been hearing complaints about that building for two years now," said Ward 2 City Councilor Wayne A. Nickel.

Mayor Dean J. Mazzarella heard about the home too, he said.

"We kept getting complaints about that building non stop," the mayor said. "It just never ended, one complaint after another."

Both Mazzarella and Nickel noted that an investigation like the one that led to the arrests can take a long time.

Wednesday's arrests should show residents that police took the matter seriously, Nickel said.

The next question, Nickel said, is: "Do they go to court and get a slap on the wrist and nothing changes, or will there be enough charges where they do some serious time?"

Damn, I gotta remember to go to Fitchburg if I wish to misbehave [/sarcasm]

Why the hell would you keep dead animals in the freezer in a crack house?[rolleyes]

Here's the latest from the other side. Does anybody know the validity of his claim that these buybacks are paid for thru private donations, or is he pulling this out of his butt?

I suggest everyone educate themselves on the Worcester and Boston's programs.

The Worcester is a cooperation between the city, Walmart and other foundations. Gift cards to Walmart are specifically stated to what can and cannot be purchased. Also, no taxpayer's monies are involved, all generated by private donation.

Many new 'buyback' programs are focused on getting guns off the streets. Also, many are losing sight of the fact that these programs are voluntary.

I read the article and alot of details are missing. Some of you are degrading Dean Tran without knowing any facts. Educated readers, not the prior posters.

I actually just replied to him Mark, the closing paragraph of my response, to paraphrase it, states simply that the second the police get involved (and they will be in one form or another) then your tax dollars start getting used. They dont work for free.

Damn my post is being held for approval again[thinking]

Nashmack said:
I actually just replied to him Mark, the closing paragraph of my response, to paraphrase it, states simply that the second the police get involved (and they will be in one form or another) then your tax dollars start getting used. They dont work for free.

Damn my post is being held for approval again[thinking]
I'll be surprised if those asshats post it. They are holding more and more that are against the gun buy back and posting more that are for it. [thinking]

Hmmm, I'm starting to think the media is biased... [rofl]

OMG DEREK! The liberal left wing media in Mass is totally biased and leans so far left that they fell over a long time ago and are in fact no standing on thier heads? Why was I not informed! I'm sure my beloved Globe would never lead me astray! Ohhhhh the pain of betrayal! [/sarcasm] [/soapbox]

I don't believe it really matters where the money for the program comes from--be it tax dollars or private donations.

The simple fact is, regardless of the source of the money, there are better programs, such as community policing or anti-gang efforts, where the money could be spent than on a gun buy back program.

The only people likely to turn in guns with a program like this one are people looking for the cash score. They have access to the gun, have no need for the gun, and can use the cash. Someone carrying a gun illegally, and perceives a need for having the gun, will not be turning it in. Unless they know where they can score another one cheaply.

Will the program ultimately take some guns "off the street"? Likely yes, but that is focussing on the wrong meteric for measuring success. If there is no measurable, corresponding decrease in the rate of "gun-related" crime, then I would conclude that the money would be better spent on more effective policing needs such as cops on the street to arrest people who violate the State's gun laws.

Unfortunately, companies such as Walmart and Target are only interested in the headlines generated by their involvement in the program and the fact that it gets more people into their stores. Donating say $100K to the local cop's anti-gang unit isn't nearly as sexy as the press generated by a gun buyback program.

Above is my contribution to the blog. I'm curious to see if it will make the cut.

Back
Top Bottom