• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Fitchburg Councilor Wants Gun BuyBack Program

Interesting how the Fitchburg chief can see how ineffictive gun buybacks are, but the young, liberal politician on the make can't:

http://sentinelandenterprise.com/ci_4032805

Councilor urges gun buyback
By Jonathan Graham
Sentinel & Enterprise

FITCHBURG -- The city's gunplay is getting worse, matching trends across the country, but there is no one-step solution, Police Chief Edward Cronin said this week.

"Generally speaking, the use of guns have gone up," Cronin said, explaining that many of the many guns reach the street through theft from homes and businesses.

Fitchburg police work a lot with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms to control gun crime in the city, Cronin said.

But he said figuring out an easy way to get guns out of local criminals' hands is a difficult thing to get a handle on.

"There isn't anything hard and fast about where the guns are coming from," Cronin said. "The problem is there are so many transient people coming in and out of the city."

Police arrested two New Hampshire men in connection with a Main Street convenience store robbery last week where the suspect used a Mini-14, a high-capacity rifle, to shoot the clerk.

One of those two men is also charged in connection with an armed robbery two days earlier on Mechanic Street, in which the suspect used a sawed-off shotgun.

Several other serious gun crimes have already struck the city this year, including a daytime shooting outside the Fitchburg District Court in which no one was injured, and the shooting of Fitchburg resident Gamba Payton near Main Street at 2 p.m.

Cronin said a gun buyback program may not be a good route to reduce gun violence, expressing skepticism about how well it has worked in other cities.

He said studies into buyback programs have not endorsed them.

"They don't recommend it as an effective measure," Cronin said. "I go by the state of the art in research."

Cronin said in an earlier interview that a big focus has to be on why local youth turn to guns so quickly to solve problems.

But At-large Councilor Dean Tran said good cities develop plans, like gun buyback programs, to get illegal guns off the street as quickly as possible.

A bad city has no programs, which is where Fitchburg stands now, Tran said.

"It's a worthy program, and it's something the city of Fitchburg should explore and possible implement," he said.

Tran said gun violence is not unique to Fitchburg, but because the city has a large number of low- and medium-income residents, it is more at risk.

"You can't tie the gun program to any particular city, because the guns travel to where the people carry them," Tran said.

Tran said gun buyback programs in Worcester and Boston are proving to be very successful.

The Worcester buyback program claims to have received 800 guns over the last three years, given in exchange for gift certificates to local retailers like Wal-Mart.

Worcester and Boston officials give those who turn in weapons gift certificates to local retailers, without asking any questions about the gun's origins.

Tran said he tried to get Fitchburg to lead a North Central Massachusetts-wide gun buyback program, but the police department did not express much interest.

Tran said he views the two cities' programs as successful by the fact they pulled guns off the street.

"The chief expressed the same sentiment to me in the past, that he read some studies from the Lt. Governor that these programs are not successful, but so far, both programs that have existed in Massachusetts have proven that wrong," he said.

"The success of the programs are measured by the amount of the guns brought in, whether its one gun or thousands of guns," Tran added.

But Tran said the shooting of a clerk at a Main Street convenience store this past week might spur other city officials to look at a program in Fitchburg.

"A program like this, many elected officials would love to participate and help out, as long as theirs a go-ahead message from the police department and the mayor's office," Tran said.

But the value of a gun buyback program is not yet proven, said Glenn Pierce, an expert on gun violence at Northeastern University's College of Criminal Justice.

"Those programs, there are certainly questions whether that kind of thing is effective," Pierce said. "Those questions haven't been answered."

Gun buyback programs work as a part of a larger community effort, and are most effective at sending a message to residents, Pierce said.

"What it does in a positive perspective is send a message, that we don't want guns in the street, that we don't want guns in that hands of people who shouldn't possess them legally," Pierce said. "But you want to be clear about other parts of your message too, that if you do use a gun, not legally there'd be severe consequences."

That message must permeate every layer of a city, especially among community leaders who have knowledge the police do not, Pierce said.

"You have to be getting information coming from the street, getting information about potential problems from gangs," Pierce said. "You can go to individuals and go to groups, and you have to be able to identify these groups."

Pierce said if relations between police and community are sour, the police are at a disadvantage.

"If you don't have good relations ... you may not get as much information back about where to focus your resources," he said.

Solid police work to track down where the gun supply is coming from also helps reduce the number of weapons on the street, Pierce said.

But sometimes police work is not enough to solve the problem, Pierce said.

"There's always the issue that these questions go beyond the scope of guns," he said. "Transient criminals, maybe something associated to economic conditions. These are things that go beyond certainly the gun problem, and maybe beyond a policing issue."

Fortunatly, at least for the time being, the chiefs around here have more common sense than the pols. Hopefully, this'll go no where. I hope they put this issue up on the blog on the Sentinel's website, that would be fun.

Hey! How About A Car Buyback Program?

Yeah, that's it!

Every year thousands of people are killed or maimed by cars on our city streets. Let's have a CAR BUYBACK program and stop the violence!

Everyone with unregistered cars can drive (or push) them in to the city DPW yard, NO QUESTIONS ASKED!

For every car turned in, you get a $200 gift card to NAPA Auto Parts.

Just think of the lives that will be saved!

Of course, we could consider other things, like better education, community outreach and beefing up the police force, but HEY! That stuff takes time and money! And elections are right around the corner!

Nope, this will be the best route for political resumes, and feel-good press releases.

CALL YOUR MAYOR or COUNCILMAN TODAY!

(Brought to you by the STOP CAR VIOLENCE organization, formerly known as CAR CONTROL)

buybacks are such a load of crap. I bet more than one person used the gift cards to save cash so they could buy a better gun than the one they turned in.

Lord knows I would. I wish I had some beater guns, I'd turn them in and put the cash toward a nice carry Sig for my husband...

SiameseRat said:
<snip>

Lord knows I would. I wish I had some beater guns, I'd turn them in and put the cash toward a nice carry Sig for my husband...

Damn I wish my S/O would buy me a Sig!

The councelor like the Mayor of Boston judge the success of the program by how many guns they get.

Well, NO WONDER the program sounds like a success. Now what was the reason to do this? Oh yea, the high crime rate. So, how come the success measure isn't based on that?

I'd love to set my goals based on this guy's theory.

I see a need for product X. Success of the product will be measured solely by the date I can ship it.

Do you really have to be this ignorant to run for office? Man I guess I'd never qualify.

Nashmack said:
Damn I wish my S/O would buy me a Sig!
well we've been arguing over who gets the next gun. I haven't bought him a gun since the Glock I got him as a pre-wedding present. Our anniversary is coming up so he's due. I think everyone should get at least one new gun a year... [wink]

As everyone already knows these programs are a colossal waste of resources and have zero effect on gun crime. [rolleyes]

ETA: It is refreshing to see the the COP agrees with the above statement.

Last edited:
C-pher said:
I would rather see more cops on the street catching the bad guys than spending the money on buying back guns...

Support the working class, not the criminal.

This shit just pisses me off.

Actually.......it won't matter if you have 20,000 more cops on the beat. The same number of Judges will be letting them off with a light (if any) sentence.

Adam_MA said:
But At-large Councilor Dean Tran said good cities develop plans, like gun buyback programs, to get illegal guns off the street as quickly as possible.

A bad city has no programs, which is where Fitchburg stands now, Tran said.

Whether or not these 'plans' work is a moot point. They make the sheeple feel good.

FOOLS!!!! it drives me crazy.

Neptune Cat said:
Whether or not these 'plans' work is a moot point. They make the sheeple feel good.

That's the bottom line here. It's not about being effective. It's about "Well we are doing 'Something'..." It will make that POS sleep better at night. [rolleyes]

derek said:
That's the bottom line here. It's not about being effective. It's about "Well we are doing 'Something'..." It will make that POS sleep better at night. [rolleyes]

It has nothing to do with the politician "sleep[ing] better at night" and everything to do with getting re-elected (I'm sure you know that, Derek, just re-stating in case we've got any lurkers...)

They *know* it won't make a lick of difference WRT crime in general, but they'll be able to put up a bullet point that says: "Sponsored Gun BuyBack Program, which took X hundred dangerous guns off the street."

And yet the sheeple keep returning these oxygen thiefs to office... [rolleyes]

The whole point of that post Jay was the "Well we are doing Something"

The sleep better at night was a late add on... But it serves the same purpose as your post and you are correct on the assessment.

SiameseRat said:

I've got a ruger mkII that's giving me fits. I was thinking of taking it to boston since I paid $200 for it! I'd just put the $ toward a nice shiny new one from 4 Seasons!! I was going to send it to Ruger, but it's ~$50 to overnight it to them + a $25 service fee just to look at it, and its still a 20 year old gun. I think this may be a plan!

Matt

tele_mark said:
... Police Chief Edward Cronin ... said a gun buyback program may not be a good route to reduce gun violence, expressing skepticism about how well it has worked in other cities.

He said studies into buyback programs have not endorsed them.

"They don't recommend it as an effective measure," Cronin said. "I go by the state of the art in research."
"It's a worthy program, and it's something the city of Fitchburg should explore and possible implement," he said.
Tran said gun buyback programs in Worcester and Boston are proving to be very successful.
Tran said he tried to get Fitchburg to lead a North Central Massachusetts-wide gun buyback program, but the police department did not express much interest.
"A program like this, many elected officials would love to participate and help out, as long as theirs a go-ahead message from the police department and the mayor's office," Tran said.

So is he saying he has no confidence nor trust in his chief's judgement?

"There's always the issue that these questions go beyond the scope of guns," he said. "Transient criminals, maybe something associated to economic conditions. These are things that go beyond certainly the gun problem, and maybe beyond a policing issue."

Ya think?

I see the need for mandatory CCW. I know its been discussed but
the would be criminal would now have to think about the circumstances.
They would have no idea where there gonna get blased from....

It would be a game of chance, it could even be a 9;1 shot, that 9 out of
the 10 people he sees might be carrying.

I agree with Chris, they are measuring the success of the program in quantity.

The criminal is not going to turn in the "tools of their trade" its probably
junk guns, or widows who don;'t know what to do with them (dam)

I think Menino is sitting on his brains.

Go after the criminal not the gun IDIOT.

JimB

Judging by the way they're passing out LTC-ALP's in this area, theoretically there should be plenty of people walking around packing. The thing about these crimes is, they're either against other "boys in the hood", very quick drive-by's, or they're targeting establishments known to not allow firearms. Remember the article in the Sentinel a few months back that not only stated that store clerks are for the most part not allowed to be armed and are instructed to give up the money, but actually named several stores and their locations? If there were suddenly a rash of muggings and home invasions in this area, I'm sure there'd just as quickly be lots of bang bang stories in the Sentinel.

Victim of Media Hype

Chris, you called it!

I'm afraid Mr. Tran is a victim of media hype that uses an impressive display of guns laying on a table, rather than the statistics that demonstrate gun crime has dropped as a result of gun buy-back programs.

I hope the Fitchburg citizens have an appreciation for the sound thinking of Chief Cronin and give careful, intelegent consideration when selecting Mr. Tran's replacement in the next election.

Aye, And I hope that someone smartens them up bedfore the city drops $100,000 of taxpayer and sponsor money for a program that has shown NO effect on crime.

THAT is the real crime of these programs. Imagine if you set up that $100,000 as overtime pay to officers solely to nab the violent criminals.

Not that it would help all that much as the goblins would be let back on the streets by the courts in short order.

I just don't see why people can't get it... Criminals behind bars don't commit violent crimes on society. Get rid of all the pot users in jail and make room to stockpile the really dangerous ones.

"The success of the programs are measured by the amount of the guns brought in, whether its one gun or thousands of guns," Tran added.
Only if your goal is to purchase lots of guns for short money.

But Tran said the shooting of a clerk at a Main Street convenience store this past week might spur other city officials to look at a program in Fitchburg.
Is this guy completely oblivious to the world around him? The shooter, and his gun, came across the state line from NEW HAMPSHIRE. What good would a Fitchburg gun "buyback" do in this case?

Man, what an idiot.

In that area there has been a few shootings just blocks away, as for news reporters, I told one last week "its bastards like you that screw me as a legal gun owner, you f***ers always report what you want and make every gun owner a criminal" he blinked a few times then said "dont you just speak your mind sir"[rofl]

Going back to the topic I think the city should do a buyback in fact I think every town/city should have a buyback running

BillK said:
Going back to the topic I think the city should do a buyback in fact I think every town/city should have a buyback running
????

You mean, so that the towns can open up their own gunshop and sell them to the law-abiding gun owners, right?

Back
Top Bottom