FISHER CATS

Well I have one in my area I see it often, that explains all the posters on phone poles with "have you seen flufy" on them, so what's the deal is it open season or are they protected, I did a search and found alot of info on them but not it's status.

Not sure where you are, but as a fur-bearing animal it might come under trapping laws, not hunting.

You can trap it and relocate it to my yard (Lighten up. JK. I know relocating isn't legal). I have way more chipmunks and squirrels than I need. There clearly aren't enough predators in my neighborhood.

Well I have one in my area I see it often, that explains all the posters on phone poles with "have you seen flufy" on them, so what's the deal is it open season or are they protected, I did a search and found alot of info on them but not it's status.

It's actual name is "Fisher". I am not sure why people put "cat" after it, as it is a member of the weasel family. Just saying...[wink].

There is no hunting season for them, but there is a trapping season. It is managed in MA as a furbearer (an animal with a marketable pelt). The pelts are actually worth good money for a nice, properly prepared one ($40 - $55+ in some cases).

Here is a link to the regs: Scroll to pages 32 and 33.
http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regulations/abstracts/hunt_fish_abstracts.pdf

That's what they call the baseball team here, and I have never heard it called just a "fisher" even when I googled it came up as "fishercat" anyway what my biggest concern is my dogs, the first thing that comes to mind is a vet bill the size of the national dept, and would really like to avoid this.

We had a problem with Fishers in North andover, Killed my cat, who was around 17y/o, lived with us out in Seattle and outside Philly, survived with mountain lions, wolves and other predators but after a year up here got attacked by a fisher...i talked to the North Andover animal control officer, who told me people love living in the country but they dont want to deal with the animals..............i was like F#@K you....i had no clue about Fishers, there nasty little Sh!t animals that seem to live off of pets. So my we bought a few "have a heart traps"....and a crossbow...we have currently trapped and killed 3 adult fishers over the last 2 years...Havent seen any signs of Fishers for about a year now...i tell some of my buddys about what we do and they say, thats not very sporty of you.......and i tell em to pound sand, i use to have some pics of the dead fishers but i cant find them....when you get up close they look very nasty...........like mini wolverines........i wouldnt be bothered if they were all wiped out

If your dog takes on a fisher head to head, you likely won't have to worry much about a vet bill at all - get a shovel ready. That said, fishers generally won't attack larger prey unless they are cornered and when they are - they usually win. We have them all over the place and have never had them anywhere near my dog - they generally bolt at the first sound. However, if you have outdoor cats - say goodbye.

Hunting season for those animals in NH is 12/1 to 1/31, but if one goes after one of my dogs I would not hesitate to eliminate it, I'll take my chances with F&G, cheaper than a Vet's bill from Wignalls

we arent selling the skins, we are just solving a pest problem.......we arent trappers, we are concerned citizens who are dealing with an ever growing problem in this area http://catonthekeyboard.com/?p=104

I think he was referring to your method of capture and killing.

If MA is anything like normal places (hahaha, right?) as a landowner, if you can prove financial loss to the fisher you can get an easement which would allow taking them as pests, allowing you to handle the problem on your property at will.

I've had more than one Fisher in my backyard, and they REALLY are aggressive! neighbor's dog was in my backyard , smaller dog, about the size of a schnauzer, that Fisher was basically tearing that dog a new butt! dog finally was able to get away! The Fisher is exactly what people DON'T want around! I am sure they would be just as aggressive with a child!

Why would anyone want to harm an efficient cat eater?

They kill dogs too! [rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl]

If your dog takes on a fisher head to head, you likely won't have to worry much about a vet bill at all - get a shovel ready. That said, fishers generally won't attack larger prey unless they are cornered and when they are - they usually win. We have them all over the place and have never had them anywhere near my dog - they generally bolt at the first sound. However, if you have outdoor cats - say goodbye.

A fisher move through my hunting woods a few years back. Wiped out the squirrel population, tree rat hunting sucked for years. Squirrels just started to make a come back. Seen a few Fishers while deer hunting, surprising how fast they are.

why are so many in a rush to kill off the critters who get the free range pets?
take out the cats who dont even eat what they slowly kill

Back
Top Bottom