• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Fishers have moved into the Catskill Mountains.

Believe it or not -
A friend told me years ago that his g.uncle had trapped a Fisher in the Adirondacks in 1919 that he was able to sell at auction and
buy a new Model T Ford with - and still had $45.00 left over to pay for the gas for the year..... that's how much Fisher were worth back
then - but his g.nephew said the Fisher was exceptional - and not only Huge but the hide was in perfect condition

Here's a beauty of a Fisher taken in South Cairo, New York a few years back ( Fisher began returning to this area in the 90's )

fisher.png

Wow. I've only seen small ones. Much bigger full grown than I thought they were.

I had a close encounter with one out on my back property last week. I was creeping along with my muzzle loader and this thing blasts out of a brush pile and jumped about 8 ft up a hemlock and just hung there and snarled at me. 10 seconds later it jumped down and took some steps TOWARDS me, snarling the whole time. He then turned and ran off into the woods. I've seen them before, but they generally don't want much to do with humans. He wasn't as big as the one in the picture above, but this guy was ready to rumble. One of the cooler things I've seen while hunting.

Have had one in the backyard here in the burbs on the south shore, during the day when it was very overcast/rainy:
1607872593811.jpeg A couple of years ago there was also a dead one on the shoulder of rte 3 for a couple of days before someone/something cleaned it up. They’re definitely around.

Last edited:
I caught a Fisher in a cage trap this season but released him. Can't say I did so without a bit of self-concern.

A few years back, I had one in my back yard in downtown Newburyport. Its scream woke me up in the middle of the night. It was going after a baby raccoon. I turned on the yard light and stood in the doorway clapping my hands and yelling at it. It very slowly turned around and walked down the side of the tree and over the fence, just taking its good old time.
The only good fisher is a dead fisher!

Back
Top Bottom