Fishing where I grew up in the Catskill mountains.

I'll try to make comments from now on. There were many trout streams near where I grew up. My father was then president of the trout club before WWII and was instrumental in getting the state to stock many of them before I was born in 1945. Most of the streams became better as the years passed because the trout reproduced and in a few of the streams grew some good sized fish. The largest one I ever caught was 24 inch brown and the largest brookie was 16 inches. It was a great area for a young boy to grow up, but there wasn't any industry so after high school I went to college and then joined the Navy. Now at almost 75 and have Pulmonary Fibrosis and enjoying my memories before I pass. I have gotten sick of TV so I watch many videos on Youtube and post some of the ones I enjoy and hope some of you guys might also. It gives me great pleasure to pass them on to you guys.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention that I grew up in the town of Cairo which is in the county of Greene, New York. Across the street from our home was the Shinglekill creek which ran into the Catskill Creek. Another really great stream up in Roundtop which was about 5 miles up the mountain. That stream is the Hearts Content is where I caught my biggest brown and my biggest brook trout.

I forgot to mention that I grew up in the town of Cairo which is in the county of Greene, New York. Across the street from our home was the Shinglekill creek which ran into the Catskill Creek. Another really great stream up in Roundtop which was about 5 miles up the mountain. That stream is the Hearts Content is where I caught my biggest brown and my biggest brook trout.
My relatives have a farm on a lake about 40 miles from there. Some great bass fishing and brilliant night skies due to the paucity of light pollution.

I'll try to make comments from now on. There were many trout streams near where I grew up. My father was then president of the trout club before WWII and was instrumental in getting the state to stock many of them before I was born in 1945. Most of the streams became better as the years passed because the trout reproduced and in a few of the streams grew some good sized fish. The largest one I ever caught was 24 inch brown and the largest brookie was 16 inches. It was a great area for a young boy to grow up, but there wasn't any industry so after high school I went to college and then joined the Navy. Now at almost 75 and have Pulmonary Fibrosis and enjoying my memories before I pass. I have gotten sick of TV so I watch many videos on Youtube and post some of the ones I enjoy and hope some of you guys might also. It gives me great pleasure to pass them on to you guys.

Thank you Joseph for your service and thank you for having a big heart willing to share your memories and passing on your experiences.

Be well,

Jay

Joseph,
You have a voice and I’m glad to read it. Thanks for the vids.

I grew up visiting the Thousand Islands since I was a baby. Been there every year since glong on 42. My family is originally from Mexico and Parish, NY. Every time I drive by the Mohawk valley on from Schenectady through Herkimer and through Utica I was always pining to get out of the car to either dig away the shale for fossils or fish those hundreds of streams meandering through those ancient soils and stone. It’s a beautiful area.

I took my oldest son fishing for the first time when he was 5 years old. I had to cast for him, but let him reel it in. He caught 2 rainbows on a spinner his first time!

I plan on taking the boys fishing more this summer and doing other outdoor stuff on account of the wuflu. I guess it’s a bet positive

Back
Top Bottom