First time at the range with the SKS

$399 for VG to Excellent condition, not unissue. I don't think we'll ever see unissued ones for below $400 ever again.

It says:

"
"These are without a doubt the finest group of military surplus rifles we have ever received. These rifles appear to be in their original factory issue condition from the butt stock to the barrel tip."
"
That sounds pretty much unissued to me

It says:

"
"These are without a doubt the finest group of military surplus rifles we have ever received. These rifles appear to be in their original factory issue condition from the butt stock to the barrel tip."
"
That sounds pretty much unissued to me

Your definition of unissued and mine are different. I've seen crates of the latest imports. They aren't unissued rifles, they're refurbished. Even after shipping you're still talking roughly $425.

I picked up a decent norinco a couple of months ago.....like it as a fun rifle but the trigger just plain frigging sucks. So many hitches to it i flinch every now and then thinking the hammer fell! Need to work on it somehow.

I picked up a decent norinco a couple of months ago.....like it as a fun rifle but the trigger just plain frigging sucks. So many hitches to it i flinch every now and then thinking the hammer fell! Need to work on it somehow.

My friend had his SKS and M1 carbine done by trigger work.net very nice for the money I thought.
There is also kivarri

My son is interested in a Romanian SKS at a local shop. I know nothing about these are Romanian the same as Yugo?

Nope, not exactly the same. Basically the same gun but with some key differences. The main thing that is different with the common Yugo 56/66 and 59/66a1 models are the grenade launchers that no other SKSs have (well, there may have been some attempts at add-on grenade launchers but that's a whole other story). While they look kinda cool they add weight to the front of the rifle and add a gas valve which can corrode and cause problems if not cleaned properly. They also have a longer blade bayonet than the Russian blades and of course the Chinese SKS have the spike bayonets (as do some of the earliest Russian ones).

Some folks love the Yugos as they may be slightly more accurate because they lack a chrome lined bore but some folks see the non-chrome bore as a negative. I have not owned any Yugos so I can't speak to their accuracy or reliability but having handled them they are my least favorite SKS but they are well built and solid as long as you keep that gas valve clean.

The Romanian SKS is far less common and stick to the original design with no grenade launcher and have a Russian style blade bayonet. Some people would consider a good one somewhat collectible. Unfortunately many Romanian SKSs look like they have been left out in the rain for 40 years then dragged down a dirt road behind a pickup truck. If you find one that's not beat up it should be a good shooter. They often have a unique look to the stock as the grain in the wood they used is a little different.

Nope, not exactly the same. Basically the same gun but with some key differences. The main thing that is different with the common Yugo 56/66 and 59/66a1 models are the grenade launchers that no other SKSs have (well, there may have been some attempts at add-on grenade launchers but that's a whole other story). While they look kinda cool they add weight to the front of the rifle and add a gas valve which can corrode and cause problems if not cleaned properly. They also have a longer blade bayonet than the Russian blades and of course the Chinese SKS have the spike bayonets (as do some of the earliest Russian ones).

Some folks love the Yugos as they may be slightly more accurate because they lack a chrome lined bore but some folks see the non-chrome bore as a negative. I have not owned any Yugos so I can't speak to their accuracy or reliability but having handled them they are my least favorite SKS but they are well built and solid as long as you keep that gas valve clean.

The Romanian SKS is far less common and stick to the original design with no grenade launcher and have a Russian style blade bayonet. Some people would consider a good one somewhat collectible. Unfortunately many Romanian SKSs look like they have been left out in the rain for 40 years then dragged down a dirt road behind a pickup truck. If you find one that's not beat up it should be a good shooter. They often have a unique look to the stock as the grain in the wood they used is a little different.

Thanks for the info. He's going to take a look at the Romanian model today. They are asking $399 for it. Patriot has 2 Yugos for $563 so if the one he looks at today is no good he can consider those.

Thanks for the info. He's going to take a look at the Romanian model today. They are asking $399 for it. Patriot has 2 Yugos for $563 so if the one he looks at today is no good he can consider those.

Wow, $563 seems super high for a Yugo, even if it was in like new condition. For that money it better be pretty much unissued. I know prices have gone up but still. If the Romanian isn't all shot out it will be just as good a shooter as the Yugo. Obviously check the rifling, etc. With the chrome lined bore in the non-Yugo SKSs it's hard to really shoot them out.

Again, I don't mean to bash the Yugos I just feel the grenade launcher and gas valve on the Yugo just add a lot of extra weight out front and a potential problem if not cleaned properly. They are built like tanks though. If the Romanian is rough then maybe just wait for something else because $399 seems high if it's not in really good shape. See if you can get the price down a tad, it never hurts to ask.

My Yugo 59/66 I bought used is a freakin tack driver. I was really shocked at the accuracy of it. Slapped a tac-sight rear peep on it and it will tear the center out of a target.

You made a good point there about the Yugos, may of them are unissued and have been packed full of cosmiline for decades.

I dont know if my yugo is unissued but it looks as new as any new rifle I have ever bought ......and it was cleaner than most new rifles I have bought also.
I have not really laid down the rifle for any accuracy testing.
The most accurate ammo I have is some lte 80s vintage 762x39 russian stuff labelled as "hunting" load. then the Yugo brass cased surplus stuff.
my most accurate SKS is a Romanian I picked up few years back with cracked stock discount. The repair on the crack is out standing and is probably now stronger than original. i shot a 198 4x on a NRA SR1 target(3moa) with the beat up romanian. My russian can hold the 6" black bull with most ammo. yugo is coming up in rotation for shooting soon

Yugos are great sks's, but the sks itself is a great design. X39 is popular for corrosive ammo os always keep that in mind. The yugo I have had a slightly frosted bore but shoots surprisingly accurate. Weight in my opinion isn't a big deal with the yugo but there is a noticeable difference if I shoot the yugo and then shoot my Russian or Chinese. The trigger leaves something to be desired compared to the Russian and norinco. Bottom line is you can't go wrong with any sks as long as it's in decent shape.

Yugos are great sks's, but the sks itself is a great design. X39 is popular for corrosive ammo os always keep that in mind. The yugo I have had a slightly frosted bore but shoots surprisingly accurate. Weight in my opinion isn't a big deal with the yugo but there is a noticeable difference if I shoot the yugo and then shoot my Russian or Chinese. The trigger leaves something to be desired compared to the Russian and norinco. Bottom line is you can't go wrong with any sks as long as it's in decent shape.

Taking my Yugo SKS out for the first time tomorrow. It fits me quite well, I would say.

J&g Sales has cheap Chinese type 56 sks if you dont mind shipping and transfer fees. They are well worn and saw service in the Balkan conflicts. I have a few and they shoot like new. Having some history is cool too.

Taking my Yugo SKS out for the first time tomorrow. It fits me quite well, I would say.

Looks like I overestimated my ability to get some stuff I had to do done, not going to make it out today. Shame since it's so nice out. Possibly tomorrow, but unlikely and I am out of town this weekend. Most likely next week.

Back
Top Bottom