First time at the range with the SKS

K98

Got out today with my Yugo SKS and was very impressed with the rifle. I was shooting Golden Tiger with no issues at 50 yards. Here is the grouping after I got settled in with it. The SKS is very manageable compared to some early Mosins. Very happy I added it to the collection.

Sks are fun. Was my first center fire rifle. My yugo runs great and is the most accurate of the sks I own.

I love SKSs. They are fun, used to be cheap and still legal in CT. Can we get some pics of the gun? I am assuming you are shooting a 59/66 or 59/66a1? If you have the older M59 without the grenade launcher and night sights you have a really nice SKS, almost identical to the original Russians except non of the Yugos have the chrome lined barrel. Some folks say that makes them more accurate, not sure, maybe. Some say it just means you have to clean the bore better, especially if you use corrosive ammo. That part is true. M67 Yugo milsurp ammo is some of the best out there but it is corrosive. It's not a big deal but just be extra careful to clean your rifle as soon as you can when shooting anything corrosive.

Sorry no pics yet. Just close up pics of it disassembled. Yes it has the launcher and dates to 1978.

chrome bores just last longer.... not that chromed bore cant be accurate but chroming a already accurate barrel would IMHO would lessen that accuracy. Chrome lining does 2 things wears a little less and can withstand the environment better.

SKS are good for minute of man. As they where intended. If they where supposed to be "accurate" I think the sights would be better.

Put a mojo rear sight on it and you'll tighten that group up and tear the center out

You need one of these... just cuz!
m1a2-rifle-grenade-adapter.jpg

My '52 as-issued Russian and my SKS sporter with a regular SKS stock I fitted to it (I hated the thumbhole stock the Sporter came with).

Russian_and_SKS_M.jpg

A little better shot of the wood on the Russian
P1000041_zpspu7r9ysc.jpg

Playing around with some bubba mods to the Sporter. I needed the rail extension for the laser/light combo to have room for my off hand. It is different now, I put an angled fore grip on it with the laser/light right in front of that instead of sticking out as far as it did before. I just play around with different configurations on that one.

P1020077_zps0yfnbe2a.jpg

I love SKS's. The first rifle I bought was a chinese sks and still have it now.

Russian Letter Gun (D series) SKS
Yugo SKS
Factory 306 chinese SKS

I have posted these before but since we talking SKS , we all love Pics
Norinco I bought that has been stored for Many years full of cosmo, cleaned up simple and refinished with Walnut and poly. Best 299 I spent

IMG_1257.JPG IMG_1389.JPG 11218224_472359119608138_7521851513020722205_n.jpg IMG_1260.JPG IMG_1391.JPG

Minute of pumpkin at 200.
The accuracy of a yugo sks with iron sights alone in unbelievable.
Properly cleaned and good ammo will get you there.
Can't imagine what a good scope properly mounted would bring in the group's #s
Wolf is good stuff.
All that with a gritty long pull.[smile]

Yes, that was one of my concerns when I got it. The firing pin assembly was jammed full of cosmo. I think I'll do something to the stock though. The wood is quite dry after pulling all of the cosmo out of it.

Love my SKSs.

Since nobody mentioned it, and it's your 1st SKS, have you thoroughly cleaned the bolt firing pin channel? A stuck firing pin can slam-fire.

Yes, that was one of my concerns when I got it. The firing pin assembly was jammed full of cosmo. I think I'll do something to the stock though. The wood is quite dry after pulling all of the cosmo out of it.

You need to take out the firing pin and run a pipe cleaner through it to get everything out.

f0e375ad-2471-4b96-8583-7e618b5f54b0_400.jpg
Great for Dry furniture, Home Depot sells it cheap, a few coats a year works great . I use it on my Polish Furniture. IMG_3028.jpg

Last edited:
Nice shootin'!

My brother has a Russian (maybe Yugo?) that shot better offhand than the preban Hbar I had. I sold the Hbar.

Yup, Golden Tiger is great stuff and Martin is very, very knowledgeable about SKSs and lots of milsurps and other guns.

Nice pics guys, I love seeing those SKSs! I had several pass through my hands but the Russian and the Sporter are the two I've kept and plan to keep. Chinese SKSs are great too and Yugos as well if you keep that gas system clean. If I ever get another SKS I think I'd like a Yugo M59 but I have lots of other things on my list first, like college for two kids, one starting this fall. [hmmm]

I moved from MA to CT over a year ago. The fact that CT has banned a whole bunch of rifles means the SKS is my top choice for my first rifle. It will have to wait a while as I wait for my C&R renewal and CT permit. How much is a reasonable amount to pay for a Yugo SKS?

You should be able to get one of those unissued ones for under $400. My used 59/66 was about $350 as I recall and I think that was shipped. Great gun, I highly recommend one.

Thanks, jpm. I hope plenty of those unissued yugos were imported and there still around in a few months because it will be months before I get my CT license if they function at the same pace as Mass. The atf called a few weeks back and I was sure I was going to get an inspection of my huge collection of 1 c&r gun but it turns out they just wanted to mail me a renewal form for my c&r license. They rekindled my interest in collecting haha.

Back
Top Bottom