• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

firefighting any one know the hiring process?

B

bigbear383

anyone a firefighter the list just came out what do i do from here do i wait for a letter or call or do i call. i know this has nothing to do wiht hunting but i figured i could find some info here. thanks

anyone a firefighter the list just came out what do i do from here do i wait for a letter or call or do i call. i know this has nothing to do wiht hunting but i figured i could find some info here. thanks

I can't help you but what city and state?

As pointed out, different departments might have different procedures, but this is what I went through 22 years ago. Your mileage might vary... [wink]

One... where are you on the list?

Two... what's the size of the department you're applying for?

Three... do you have any "bonus" points (veteran, minority, EMT/Paramedic certified, etc).

Four... the list is active for 2 years. If you're not hired in that time, you have to take the test all over again.

Five... if an FD needs to fill say 10 vacancies, they'll probably notify 15 candidates to come in for a brief interview with the Chief and whomever other high mucky-mucks/Grand Poo-Bahs that are involved in the hiring process.

Six... if all goes well from there you'll fill out several pages of forms to list personal info required for a background check... every place you lived, schools attended, work history, references, ever been in trouble with the law, etc. You'll be photographed and finger printed as well.

Seven... if you've gotten this far... congratulations! By now at least a couple of challengers have been eliminated from contention.

Eight... next comes the pysch evaluation and physical (I forget which one was first), but I was put through 3 different pysch evaluations and two physicals. You'd think I was applying for the NSA or Delta Force the way they probed my brain and butt, but I fooled them all! [smile]

Nine... expect at least a few more people to be eliminated. If you've made it this far, you're almost home. [smile]

Ten... you should be notified when and where to show up for the strength test (could be Moon Island or the Fire Academy in Sturbridge or anywhere else). If you're in decent enough shape, it shouldn't be a problem. The test is set-up in stations (5-6-7?). If you fail one, they'll give you another chance at it. I should add that since I took the test many eons ago, that it has changed
quite a bit so I can't tell you what the exact procedures or expectations are.

Eleven... having gone through all that, it's just a matter of waiting. It could be a matter of days, weeks or a couple of months. A lot depends on when the next available training class is open and where it's located.

Good luck!

The test results now are listed as bans.. It go's some thing like this.. 100-97 ban 9, 96-92 ban 8, 91-89 ban 7.

I know that ban 8 in Boston has over a 1000 names on it.

The list for Boston was suppose to be posted on Tuesday and it was not posted as far as I know.

Towns like Brookline and Cambridge will hire guys from other Depts. and let them transfer in to avoid having to pay for the training. Brookline is well known for this and have hired guys in the past from towns like norwood and as far away as Springfield.

You want to list your name with the biggest depts. close to your home because they have a larger turn over.

im # 4 in my town just i think # 4 will be on the next interview list just wondering do i call them or wait for them?

anyone a firefighter the list just came out what do i do from here do i wait for a letter or call or do i call.
Sorry to be a nag, but it sure would be a whole lot easier for us to read if you used some punctuation.

Towns like Brookline and Cambridge will hire guys from other Depts. and let them transfer in to avoid having to pay for the training. Brookline is well known for this and have hired guys in the past from towns like norwood and as far away as Springfield.

Communities have to do that by state law (hire from other departments).

If Springfield, Norwood, etc has a lay-off of firefighters, their names go on a "lay-off" list. If another community is hiring, they have to hire from that list 1st (bypassing the list put out by Civil Service). The people on the lay-off list can choose not to go to another department (I don't know if they get another chance or not). Once that list is exhausted, then departments can go back to hiring from the Civil Service list.

Some communities will abuse that requirement by hiring guys then immediately turn around and lay them off. That happened in Boston not that long ago. I forget which other department was involved but, they hired a few people, laid them off then Boston had to offer them the jobs first because of the lay-off list. Others will hire people knowing in advance that they'll be laid-off so that the positions will be open to them first once the jobs are available again.

I don't know if Brookline is well known for hiring from other departments or not, but the reason is because Brookline has rarely laid-off firefighters (after Prop 2 1/2 passed they were the only community that was actually hiring).

Depending on the communities involved, some guys will stay with the department that re-hired them rather than go back to their old department once that department is hiring again (better pay/better benefits... even if it does mean a much longer commute).

im # 4 in my town just i think # 4 will be on the next interview list just wondering do i call them or wait for them?

It shouldn't be necessary... they have your name and phone number.

I'd ask the guys around one of the local fire stations if they know anything about a new recruit class starting or if their department plans on starting interviews. If anything they can tell you if their manpower is way down or if
a lot of guys are retiring in the next couple of years.

Here is how it works.

If your community has a civil service dept., they must call MA-HRD for an updated list every time they want to hire. They must interview double the # they need +1 (IE: For 5 jobs they must int. 11 candidates) if your grade falls within the # of people they interview HRD will send you a postcard telling you when and where the interview is. Following the interview anyone being hired must pass a physical agility test and medical screening. After that is fire academy if your dept sends you to stowe for that it is 11 weeks of pure joy LOL. then you can start working the job.

If your dept. is not a civil service dept they can hire just about anyone using what ever criteria they choose to require on any given day.

Good Luck,
Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom