• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Firearms related jobs?

UNH used to have a shooting team. I do not know if it is still active. As of 2008 or 2009 it was active. Also, UNH changed their engineering program to allow you to get a Masters degree without a thesis. Instead of a thesis you take two extra classes. Very beneficial for those that are A: Lazy and don't want to do a thesis, or B: Are working in industry and do not have the time required to complete a thesis.

Also, UNH changed their engineering program to allow you to get a Masters degree without a thesis. Instead of a thesis you take two extra classes. Very beneficial for those that are A: Lazy and don't want to do a thesis, or B: Are working in industry and do not have the time required to complete a thesis.
Neither of my masters degrees required a thesis, and no employer has ever questioned that or asked me about a thesis. I just don't see the advantage in a thesis program for a masters.

Thesis options are typically for people that intend to have academic careers. Why they include them in non-terminal degrees is beyond me since most go right into Ph.D. programs. Most academics have terminal degrees.

B

Excellent information everyone, thank you again.

I'll start making some calls to some of the schools in the Northeast for detailed info on their mechanical engineering and chemistry programs.

Don't forget to look into WPI. They have very good engineering and science programs.

Neither of my masters degrees required a thesis, and no employer has ever questioned that or asked me about a thesis. I just don't see the advantage in a thesis program for a masters.

Me neither. That's why I picked Suffolk Univ. for my MBA. I had no desire to do a thesis. I have a good friend who completed her PhD EXCEPT for her thesis . . . she never completed it and thus never received her degree (this was 15-20 years ago).

Thesis options are typically for people that intend to have academic careers. Why they include them in non-terminal degrees is beyond me since most go right into Ph.D. programs. Most academics have terminal degrees.

B

Yup, I taught at Suffolk Univ. part time for a short while post-MBA, until they went after a very high end certification which required PhDs only from all instructors in that program.

If possible, see if you can get a part time position at a gun store or sporting goods store while attending school. Also if you are near a gun or accessories manufacturer, see if a job is available there, whether it in customer service or warehousing. This will give you some insight and a venue to develop and ask questions, job experience and some xtra cash, I know the job market is horrible, but you never know.
Good luck

I agree writing a thesis was a pain and you are right no-one ever reads or asks you about your thesis when you are job searching. With me I was already employeed so it didn't even matter.

I agree writing a thesis was a pain and you are right no-one ever reads or asks you about your thesis when you are job searching. With me I was already employeed so it didn't even matter.
If you have a PhD and are looking for an academic post-doc appointment, then your thesis matters. But that's a different situation than a Masters degree holder looking for an engineering job in industry.

I have a good friend who completed her PhD EXCEPT for her thesis . . . she never completed it and thus never received her degree (this was 15-20 years ago).
We call that an ABD (all but the dissertation) [wink]. Yup, I have one of those -- I took all the courses required for a PhD, but didn't complete the dissertation. Of course, I didn't do the research necessary for the dissertation either, and that is really where the bulk of the work is for a PhD. The coursework required for a PhD is not the hard part.

I was considering Umass, UNH, or Northeastern currently. I'll take a look at others as well, thanks David!

I hope you have a minimum of 1250 on your math and english SATs. Northeastern is a top 25-50 school, UMass Amherst Engineering is the value leader for MA residents, the same with UNH for NH residents.
Umass Amherst is

I hope you have a minimum of 1250 on your math and english SATs. Northeastern is a top 25-50 school, UMass Amherst Engineering is the value leader for MA residents, the same with UNH for NH residents.
Umass Amherst is

I applied to my first college over 2 years after I graduated highschool and they never wanted to see any of that crap. Neither did the next 3 colleges that I attended.

I was offered a job at a firearms manufacturer. I ended up turning it down because they didn't have the money to pay me. They knew what I wanted going into the interview process. Then, they interviewed me many times all the way up to the owner of the company. They came back telling me they wanted me, and told me what the offer was...I turned it down over the phone. It was low balled by almost 30K from what I was making, let alone what I told them I wanted.

There's not a lot of money in this area...they will tell you that. There's also no benefits. They didn't offer dental, it was 5 days a year vaca for the first three years, 7 days vaca after three years, and 10 days at 10 years. Now, I would have had some cool things to do, get to go to SHOT every year, do a lot of conventions, and this was just in the IT department.

Make sure that you want to do this...as it's not a place to make money.

Back
Top Bottom