• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Firearm shipment.

Mike52793

NES Member
Hello, how would one go about shipping a firearm to another FFL out of state. According to UPS/Fedex website non FFL individuals can no longer ship with them and a few FFL’s ive called say they cannot but it can go through Fedex.

Hello, how would one go about shipping a firearm to another FFL out of state. According to UPS/Fedex website non FFL individuals can no longer ship with them and a few FFL’s ive called say they cannot but it can go through Fedex.
A long gun or a pistol? You can ship long guns via USPS.

put it in a box, take it to a UPS store, send it overnight, insure it. don't tell them what it is
I just did this within the last month, in my defense I didn’t know it wasn’t allowed. I used UPS overnight and dropped it at a mailbox store. UPS requires a description, I put down “parts”, which was kind of true.

A long gun or a pistol? You can ship long guns via USPS.
Print out the rules from the USPS website before you go. They probably don't deal with this often.
....and a few FFL’s ive called say they cannot but it can go through Fedex.
For just a few dollars more, and much less time and hassle involved, my local FFL ships 'em for me.

Last month I shipped my shotgun from NH to AZ.

I took it to my local FFL and they shipped it via UPS to the AZ FFL.

At the end of my trip, the steps were reversed.

Before the trip my local FFL contact the ATF and was told that it was still legal for a person to ship a firearm to themselves in another state, but that it was the shipping carriers that made their own rules.

Last month I shipped my shotgun from NH to AZ.

I took it to my local FFL and they shipped it via UPS to the AZ FFL.

At the end of my trip, the steps were reversed.

Before the trip my local FFL contact the ATF and was told that it was still legal for a person to ship a firearm to themselves in another state, but that it was the shipping carriers that made their own rules.
I’m curious as to why you just didn’t fly with it (assuming you flew?)

And that genuinely pisses me off that they made up their own woke rules to support the anti 2a/anti freedom movement.

if you insure your "parts", has anyone thought ahead far enough to figure out how you'd explain those "parts" when trying to file a claim if needed. it is my understanding when filing that claim, they need to know exactly what was in the box your trying to get $1000+ for. if your box of "parts" were for some reason purloined enroute, would you report a stolen gun?

i had an experience years ago with ups, where i was sending a box of "machine parts" back home to it's birthplace, the factory. it was ruger and if you have sent anything in for service they tell you to address it SR&C instead of writing out the name. so i wanted to insure for replacement value so my "machine parts" were insured for $1450. the ups clerk wanted an itemized list of the insured contents of the box to have with the insurance forms. "machine parts" were not going to do it. when i stood there with an oh shit look on my face, she said "it's a gun, right?" then said if i ever expected to collect on a claim, i had to list exactly what was in the box. much like you needed to do if you expected to collect on a homeowners claim. you just can't claim "a bunch of jewelry" and expect a payout on that.

I’m curious as to why you just didn’t fly with it (assuming you flew?)
I did fly.

My reasoning behind shipping was that UPS would be better at tracking my package than the airline would be.

Also, if I shipped my gun out a week early, I knew when it was there by the tracking # and also verifying with the AZ FFL.

If the gun had gotten "lost" by the airline on the day I flew, even if was just for a day, that would have been problematic for the class I took.

I also wanted to travel "light", keeping baggage to a minimum.

(I'm fully willing to accept that those thought processes may be flawed.)

I did take a pistol in my checked baggage; no problem flying out of MHT (checking in to fly back at PHX was a PITA).

I did fly.

My reasoning behind shipping was that UPS would be better at tracking my package than the airline would be.

Also, if I shipped my gun out a week early, I knew when it was there by the tracking # and also verifying with the AZ FFL.

If the gun had gotten "lost" by the airline on the day I flew, even if was just for a day, that would have been problematic for the class I took.

I also wanted to travel "light", keeping baggage to a minimum.

(I'm fully willing to accept that those thought processes may be flawed.)

I did take a pistol in my checked baggage; no problem flying out of MHT (checking in to fly back at PHX was a PITA).
Wow. Flawless execution! I might actually do just that if I ever take a class somewhere far away. Well done, sir…that’s using your noggin’!

So just adding on to this thread…

I needed to send off a complete rifle build. Went to post office they said no way, then I went to ups and once the lady found out it was a rifle, she even stepped back a few feet and asked me to remove it from her store. 😂

After doing some research, I found the mailability rules on the usps web site. (I have attached a picture of the rule.) section 432.3 rifles and shotguns says they may be mailed by non ffl owner domestically to a ffl dealer….

I printed out the rules, went back to post office today insured the package and shipped it.

Attachments

• 9A20B0E6-257C-4B82-8EBB-F51FFCA3B822.jpeg
    9A20B0E6-257C-4B82-8EBB-F51FFCA3B822.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:

I needed to send off a complete rifle build. Went to post office they said no way, then I went to ups and once the lady found out it was a rifle, she even stepped back a few feet and asked me to remove it from her store. 😂

After doing some research, I found the mailability rules on the usps web site. (I have attached a picture of the rule.) section 432.3 rifles and shotguns says they may be mailed by non ffl owner domestically to a ffl dealer….

I printed out the rules, went back to post office today and insured the package declared it an rifle and shipped it.

Shipping a rifle via USPS is as easy as boxing it up, printing a prepaid label with insurance, etc. on pirateship.com and then going to the post office and handing it to the clerk. Make sure to get a receipt. The couple times I have done it there were never any questions asked.

I printed out the rules, went back to post office today and insured the package declared it an rifle and shipped it.
Why did you tell them there was a rifle in the box?

Try to get a prepaid label from whoever you are shipping it to. Put it on the box, drop it off and walk away.

Shipping a rifle via USPS is as easy as boxing it up, printing a prepaid label with insurance, etc. on pirateship.com and then going to the post office and handing it to the clerk. Make sure to get a receipt. The couple times I have done it there were never any questions asked.
Wish a had known about pirate ship sooner. Will def go that route next time around. Ty

Why did you tell them there was a rifle in the box?

Try to get a prepaid label from whoever you are shipping it to. Put it on the box, drop it off and walk away.
It’s a very expensive box. 😂 if it gets lost, want to make sure it’s insured and I will get reimbursed.

I was asked both places
parts.
-what parts?
-mechanical parts.

end of story. they like to ask, yes. they also like to look inside of your ass. and confirm your gender, visually. it is just what they do.

i sell shit on ebay, and ship usps, so, yes, it is a known evil.

Probably. You just make an account and punch in the to and from address, box type/size, and then select which USPS/UPS delivery speed etc. Pay for label and print it out. Easy peezy

And so much cheaper than the retail prices.

Back
Top Bottom