• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Finally Approved for LTC

I finally was approved for a MA LTC. The whole process took around three months. Hotline told me of approval, just waiting to hear from local PD. I was a little worried about a few old out of state stuff but everything seems to be all good. My question is if I passed the LTC process can I still get a denial from 4473 NICS system? How deep does Massachusetts LTC background checks go? And can I do a NICS check at a gun shop without a purchase? How similar are the background checks? And feedback or ideas are much appreciated!

I doubt they would bother doing a NICS check for you without a purchase since you'd need to fill out a 4473. There would be no need for a 4473 without a purchase and would be stupid for a shop to do and have to put in their files which can be audited anytime.

Pay it forward, help three of your friends get their LTC. My goal has been three friends per year for the last 15 years. I have missed it some years but have helped 35 people get their LTC or FID (under 21) in the last 15 years.
I’m sending my wife to the basic firearms course next. She wants to carry as well.

How deep does Massachusetts LTC background checks go?
I'm told that the Mass. background check is very comprehensive. Much more than a CORI report. If you passed the Mass. background check I don't see how you would get flagged on a NICS check unless there is another "Matt Jones" out there who is on the no-sale list. Folks sometimes get turned down on a NICS check for no good reason other than they have a common name and get refused.

You could send in for a UPIN if you want to wait another length of time, I think you need to get your FBI report and include that. Which doesn't mean you won't still get denied.

I'm told that the Mass. background check is very comprehensive. Much more than a CORI report. If you passed the Mass. background check I don't see how you would get flagged on a NICS check unless there is another "Matt Jones" out there who is on the no-sale list. Folks sometimes get turned down on a NICS check for no good reason other than they have a common name and get refused.
if only it was that simple.....many vetted MA buyers get flagged in the NICS, some ( like me ) even get flagged after getting a UPIN ( 17 month wait for that) and a C&R.... don't worry about it OP, and let us know what you buy!

Congrats, and Go Green!

Last edited:
I have a buddy who got his LTC-A no restrictions went to buy a gun and got flagged. Eventually found out it was something from his past in a different state from years ago. Went to said state and got it taken care of, came back and got the firearm no problem. Crazy how it was missed on everything else, but I guess it does happen.

I finally was approved for a MA LTC. The whole process took around three months. Hotline told me of approval, just waiting to hear from local PD. I was a little worried about a few old out of state stuff but everything seems to be all good. My question is if I passed the LTC process can I still get a denial from 4473 NICS system? How deep does Massachusetts LTC background checks go? And can I do a NICS check at a gun shop without a purchase? How similar are the background checks? And feedback or ideas are much appreciated!

Did you disclose the "few old out of state stuff" on your LTC application, if required. Is that your concern with the NICS check?

Did you disclose the "few old out of state stuff" on your LTC application, if required. Is that your concern with the NICS check?
I had a misuse of plates that was dropped 14 years ago out of state. Did not put that. Had a DWI 20 years ago out of state and definitely included that.

My question is if I passed the LTC process can I still get a denial from 4473 NICS system?
Yes. For example, if you have a OUI under the current MA law you are federally prohibited. MA will recognize a MA Firearms Licensing Review Board restoration of rights but the feds will not. I have seen an actual denial letter for such an offense, as well as BATFE communication explaining that NICS does NOT recognize the state level restoration. The logic is that gun ownership is a right but not a civil one, therefore, restoration is not "restoration of civil rights".

I have seen the NICS appeal results from persons so denied, and it is not a pretty sight.

This is not due to a different result, but differences in how MA and the feds view the same record.

Yes. For example, if you have a OUI under the current MA law you are federally prohibited. MA will recognize a MA Firearms Licensing Review Board restoration of rights but the feds will not. I have seen an actual denial letter for such an offense, as well as BATFE communication explaining that NICS does NOT recognize the state level restoration. The logic is that gun ownership is a right but not a civil one, therefore, restoration is not "restoration of civil rights".

I have seen the NICS appeal results from persons so denied, and it is not a pretty sight.

This is not due to a different result, but differences in how MA and the feds view the same record.
Rob, just to be clear, if the 20-year-old out of state DWI is on OP's record and NICS flags it, he will be denied if he tries to purchase a firearm?

Rob, just to be clear, if the 20-year-old out of state DWI is on OP's record and NICS flags it, he will be denied if he tries to purchase a firearm?
Not necessarily. One is a federal PP for OUI only if the max possible sentence is in excess of 2 years. I believe MA (2.5 years) is the only state where a first offense meets that criteria. Also, very old MA convictions from before the max penalty was increased do not count either. Look up the definition of felony used in the preamble to 18 USC 922.

My use of the term "OUI under the current MA law" was intended to convey this little detail.

Bad bad memorys

Not necessarily. One is a federal PP for OUI only if the max possible sentence is in excess of 2 years. I believe MA (2.5 years) is the only state where a first offense meets that criteria. Also, very old MA convictions from before the max penalty was increased do not count either. Look up the definition of felony used in the preamble to 18 USC 922.

My use of the term "OUI under the current MA law" was intended to convey this little detail.
If a person has a first offense dwi from NH 6 years ago....and the person is currently a mass resident and wants to apply for a ltc in mass is that a deal breaker? Reason I ask is nh first offense does not include up to 2.5 years sentence.

If a person has a first offense dwi from NH 6 years ago....and the person is currently a mass resident and wants to apply for a ltc in mass is that a deal breaker? Reason I ask is nh first offense does not include up to 2.5 years sentence.
Not legally it isn't. Might a chief/LO look deeper into it wrt suitability? That is indeed a possibility.

Back
Top Bottom