• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

FID renewal fee

Hi folks,

I've been living in Ipswich for the past year (and loving it). My FID expires this March, so I thought I'd be smart and start the renewal process early.

I filled out the paperwork, got the 2 references and went to the I.P.D. to drop it off. The young fella at the window said I needed to make an appointment this weekend to come and do it with an officer.....totally understandable.

What I don't understand is the $100 I'll need to shell out. Is this a state-wide thing? Is this even legal? I know my fair commonwealth would love to strip away our rights, but what if they asked for $100 to register to vote? Hell you don't even need an ID.

This seems like a sort of poll tax, I mean I'm having to pay for something that the constitution says is my right. But then again what the constitution says seems to be trivial these days.

Just curious - I don't think there's anything I can do (other than to just bend over and take it). If the man says I gotta pay $100, I don't have much say in the matter.

Or do I ?

Thanks and all the best!

Have you thought of getting an LTC? At least that way the hoops you jump through get you more privileges than you do with an FID - and the cost is the same both ways.

Have you been asleep for 10 years?

Romney jumped the fee to $100 from $25 back in 2004 (for FID or LTC). Only those under 18 get a break and it dropped back to $25 for them a few years ago.

Excuse me - I got it wrong I meant an LTC - but not a concealed carry.

The police dept. in the town where lived just said to ask for an LTC - he would not give me a concealed carry permit, so I caved in and went with the simple Class A LTC.

The police dept. in the town where lived just said to ask for an LTC - he would not give me a concealed carry permit, so I caved in and went with the simple Class A LTC.

My head hurts

your LTC is a License To Carry. Do you mean to say your LTC is restricted? If so, it will say so on it. As in Restrictions: Target and Hunting

While renewing, you should try to get any such restrictions removed.

Simple ?

Question on a side note:

I have an uncle who continues to renew his FID.
I've asked why not just re-apply for the LTC and he says it's because of the safety course requirement.
Is this not a requirement for an FID as well?
He's probably had some sort of FID card for over 30 years, but I know he recently renewed it and has NOT taken a safety course. Is he grandfathered in? WOuld he be grandfathered in to not needing it for the LTC?

Just curious - I don't think there's anything I can do (other than to just bend over and take it). If the man says I gotta pay $100, I don't have much say in the matter.
Yes. You can wait until you are 70 and get your FID or LTC for free.

Question on a side note:

I have an uncle who continues to renew his FID.
I've asked why not just re-apply for the LTC and he says it's because of the safety course requirement.
Is this not a requirement for an FID as well?
He's probably had some sort of FID card for over 30 years, but I know he recently renewed it and has NOT taken a safety course. Is he grandfathered in? WOuld he be grandfathered in to not needing it for the LTC?

Per MGL, anyone who had an FID or LTC in effect on June 1, 1998 was grandfathered and does NOT have to take any courses. That said, numerous departments do require a course for an upgrade from FID to LTC or even a renewal. They do it under the guise of "suitability" and since it cost a LOT more to fight it in court than to just suck it up and accept the abuse, nobody has challenged it and won to date.

Yes. You can wait until you are 70 and get your FID or LTC for free.

Only true for renewals. Note: You must pay the full boat for an initial issue of any license (FID or LTC or upgrading from FID to LTC) even if you are over 70. Some departments are also charging people that will turn 70 on the effective date with the excuse of "you weren't 70 when you applied for your renewal" or "the statute says OVER 70 and your birthday isn't Over 70" . . . both are BS, but who wants to spend thousands and a year or two in court to win back $100? So the abuses continue!!

Don't be a douche.

I think he was just incredulous to the fact that if you were renewing, you would have gone through the original application or at-least another renewal between when 2004 and now, therefore the change in cost wouldn't have jumped since then. Also, if you live in MA you KNOW nothing you need from this state is free so you would be crazy if you thought renewals are free. Also, if you looked on the LTC stickies or the GOAL website you would have seen the same $100 cost clearly noted in explanations ... and if you were familiar with the internet/forums you would know anyone who asks a question everyone knows the answer to is mercilessly mocked.

Per MGL, anyone who had an FID or LTC in effect on June 1, 1998 was grandfathered and does NOT have to take any courses. That said, numerous departments do require a course for an upgrade from FID to LTC or even a renewal. They do it under the guise of "suitability" and since it cost a LOT more to fight it in court than to just suck it up and accept the abuse, nobody has challenged it and won to date.

!!

Len,

Will a pre-change (1998) FID entitle you to get an now-times LTC without a course? I know that what's lawful may not be what the PD says is OK....

The statute was not clear to me.

Len,

Will a pre-change (1998) FID entitle you to get an now-times LTC without a course? I know that what's lawful may not be what the PD says is OK....

The statute was not clear to me.

Per the statute, the answer is yes. Per the PDs, many think (and require) otherwise!

Per the statute, the answer is yes. Per the PDs, many think (and require) otherwise!

Len, my father, who is 72 years old, previously had an FID card that "expired" on him in 1998. He applied for an LTC-A this summer. I believe it was processed as a renewal and he was not required to attend a class. The $100.00 fee was also waived because he is over 70 years old.
My 17 year old daughter also applied for her FID on the same day and was only charged $25.00
My 22 year old son also applied for his LTC on the same day. Both my son and Dad received their LTC-A restrictions: None and daughter received her FID approx. 30 days after their interviews. Eveyone at my PD were extremely polite and professional.

Len, my father, who is 72 years old, previously had an FID card that "expired" on him in 1998. He applied for an LTC-A this summer. I believe it was processed as a renewal and he was not required to attend a class. The $100.00 fee was also waived because he is over 70 years old.
My 17 year old daughter also applied for her FID on the same day and was only charged $25.00
My 22 year old son also applied for his LTC on the same day. Both my son and Dad received their LTC-A restrictions: None and daughter received her FID approx. 30 days after their interviews. Eveyone at my PD were extremely polite and professional.

Should send that licensing officer a few dozen donuts, just for being such a good guy, along with a note of appreciation for a job well done.

Should send that licensing officer a few dozen donuts, just for being such a good guy, along with a note of appreciation for a job well done.

He's quite aware how appreciative we are. When the Mrs. applied a couple years ago she asked him seeing that it was her first LTC would she be receiving any restrictions. His reply was, "Restrictions get people into trouble, you either qualify or you don't. If you qualify, it's an A no restrictions." BTW, he said it was smart of me getting my daughter her FID. I told him she'd be back on her 21st birthday for her LTC. :-D

He was grandfathered in for the FID,
But, still needs to take a Hunter Safety class to hunt or show an old license. And a Firearms safety class for LTC.
I know, I've had an FID since they were free and indefinite. Since probably 1978.[smile]
My first gun was a Savage Stevens double barrel 12 gauge. I still have it.

He was grandfathered in for the FID,
But, still needs to take a Hunter Safety class to hunt or show an old license. And a Firearms safety class for LTC.
I know, I've had an FID since they were free and indefinite. Since probably 1978.[smile]
My first gun was a Savage Stevens double barrel 12 gauge. I still have it.

Wrong about the class. Go read the law and CMR.

FIDs were not free, they were either $2 or $3 (I forget which) back in the 1970s.

---------------

Also, contrary to popular belief most cops I know don't really like/eat donuts . . . muffins and bagels yes, donuts not so much.

--------------

When you go from an FID to a LTC and you are over 70, legally you are still required to pay for that first LTC. It's the renewals of the same license that you get free. That's the way the law is written.

Back
Top Bottom