• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

FFL Not Communicating

RyanMc

NES Member
Not so quick story, I ordered a 9mm and a shotgun from Bud’s and had it shipped to an FFL local to me who was also one of Bud’s preferred FFLs. The customer service people have said they are trying to get in touch. I’ve been calling and emailing with no response. Drove over to his location today and no one was there despite having “store hours” today. Do I continue to pursue this with Bud’s or do I have other ways to escalate this?

Maybe if you would identify the store, someone might know if anything untoward is going on with them.

Could be self-quarantining. Hours may have been pre-Covid. If Buds showed that your FFL signed for it... you may just have to wait...

If the FFL is closed indefinitely, and you have a deep need for the firearms, you can first coordinate with an FFL that is local to you and is "preferred" by Buds.
By communicating with the local FFL, you will most likely get the guns. You can then sell the others when the original FFL reopens. Or, keep them as spares...

I’m not sure I know what the problem is.

are you saying buds is trying to contact the FFL to confirm prior to shipping the items.
or
are you saying buds already shipped and no one can get a hold of the receiving FFL to confirm receipt and delivery

Escalate what? Escalate with yourself bro. Shipping crap to FFL without confirming. did you receive the memo on covid?

name the shop or this is beyond dumb

Is this in Massachusetts? If so, then of course! Escalate!

Run it up the flagpole; our Commonwealth is always eager to find out which of its subjects citizens is seeking firearms. I'm quite certain that the Massachusetts Office of Public Safety can help you out. Failing that, the Attorney General will be glad to assist you through her Consumer Protection department.

I'd encourage you to place your trust in her; she is, after all, a duly sworn member of the bar, and she has taken an oath to support the Constitutions of Massachusetts and the United States. You can rely on her to "help" you with any firearms matter, without any doubt.

You have a nice day, sir.

Escalate what? Escalate with yourself bro. Shipping crap to FFL without confirming. did you receive the memo on covid?

name the shop or this is beyond dumb

It’s not confirmed yet whether he set it up with the shop’s ok or not. He didn’t state that either way in the OP so we’re left hanging. 🤷‍♂️

Not so quick story, I ordered a 9mm and a shotgun from Bud’s and had it shipped to an FFL local to me who was also one of Bud’s preferred FFLs. The customer service people have said they are trying to get in touch. I’ve been calling and emailing with no response. Drove over to his location today and no one was there despite having “store hours” today. Do I continue to pursue this with Bud’s or do I have other ways to escalate this?

The @one-eyed Jack /s mill would have been a better choice. I would send anything to a random FFL without having a conversation.

It sounds like the OP never contacted the FFL ahead of time.

OP put Buds in a bad spot because they fulfilled their obligation but now OP might want his money back.

This is a unique situation with Covid so you should be patient will all parties.

OP should have at least made sure they were open.

OP should call FFL hourly to see if anyone answers the phone.

OP can also mail a letter to them to see who collects the mail and use tracking with a signature.

Two things:

(1) In the middle of a pandemic, where some FFLs were shutting on their own out of concern for their own health, and now Mass FFLs have to take appointments, not confirming that the FFL could receive and perform the transfer is a bad move.

(2) Did the FFL sign for your package?

i'm sure bud's at least didn't just send the guns blindly to the receiving ffl... some contact should have been made. bud's has been doing this too long to leave things up to chance. at the very least, if it hasn't been done yet, call bud's to see if they have contact info.

I do a fair amount of interstate business. The key to ensuring a smooth transaction is a phone call. Better yet, a face to face conversation. Email should be avoided and used only as a last resort.
In the case of a firearms transfer I ALAWAYS call both the sending and receiving FFLs. I almost always use my local dealer, in which case I will speak to him in person prior to arranging shipping.

Just my 2c

Before I buy anything from Gunbroker, I check with my FFL first, I ask him if I win the auction are you comfortable accepting the offer, I usually also ask if it’s something he has access to, if I can buy it from the FFL and support him then I don’t bid on the GB item, and I purchase locally, usually at a fair price. I wouldn’t ever think of sending a rouge package to an FFL with out first asking permission.

You wouldn’t send a random package to your neighbors house with out first letting them know etc. Keep in mind this is someone you actually know.

Just my thoughts on common curtesy.

1) Yes, I did communicate with the FFL in advance. He confirmed he was available and willing to meet even before it was OK
2) Self-quarantine doesn’t likely include avoiding the phone and computer
3) I’m not escalating to the Commonwealth. Sarcastic post above was amusing nonetheless.
4) Online purchasing was the only option for me at the time. Bought a revolver from Great Road this week. I’m only purchasing in-person moving forward.
5) Damn, guys. I post and pass out and you all keep going through the night!

Lastly, the FFL is Hitman Firearms in Tyngsboro. I hesitated at first to name them. However, it seems worth doing in case any others are making a decision. I should not that Dean Safety did respond to me post shipment about being available. I’ll likely go with someone in the Littleton Mill if I choose to do this again.

i'm sure bud's at least didn't just send the guns blindly to the receiving ffl... some contact should have been made. bud's has been doing this too long to leave things up to chance. at the very least, if it hasn't been done yet, call bud's to see if they have contact info.
Bud's stocks little if anything. The stuff is usually drop shipped from a stocking distributor. So when the FFL receives it the shipper won't be Bud's on the shipping label. This helps to complicate matters. I've seen cases where a stocking dist. did not have the item and Bud's refunded the buyer. If the dealer is on Bud's list and the item is available, there is little communication with the dealer, it just comes. In these screwed up times, it just may be a waiting game to see if the item becomes available. Looks like your dealer is of no help. Work to get a refund from Bud's. Jack.

Bud's stocks little if anything. The stuff is usually drop shipped from a stocking distributor. So when the FFL receives it the shipper won't be Bud's on the shipping label. This helps to complicate matters. I've seen cases where a stocking dist. did not have the item and Bud's refunded the buyer. If the dealer is on Bud's list and the item is available, there is little communication with the dealer, it just comes. In these screwed up times, it just may be a waiting game to see if the item becomes available. Looks like your dealer is of no help. Work to get a refund from Bud's. Jack.
ah...good info, jack, thanks.

The FFL has your firearms so what would you want Bud's to do? They shipped and was received, they're done unless there is a problem with the firearms. If you can't reach the FFL, go talk to the PD or the Town, they may know why it is not open.

Good point about chasing Bud’s. Having worked with resellers in the past, it easier for them to pressure a retailer (in this case the FFL) than it is for the purchaser who may never make another purchase again. Then again, I’ve learned to take a pocket of cash down to Great Road or another physical shop sooner rather than later.

Back
Top Bottom