• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Fatal Shooting in Worcester by Westborough LTC holder UPDATE: Guilty of Involuntary Manslaughter! 4-7 Year Sentence with 77 Days Credit.

I'm still usure what happened, but it seems plausible and not at all unusual that if somebody pulls in front of you, forcing you to slow in order not to hit them, then you might brake less hard than you can, leading to a tailgating situation, which would quite naturally be accompanied by a little honking in New England. But one should desist from that very quickly and return to normal following distance as one gets back up to speed. I'm not proud of it, but I've done that. I'm not doing it again. Just sayin'.

I have no idea if this person is guilty or not, but I wonder what options the jury was given. Juries are often giving the options between findings - 2nd degree, voluntary manslaughter, involuntary manslaughter, double parking while waiting for the police to arrive, etc.

It is risky to have the multiple options, since a jury with a mix of not guilty and guilty of the most serious offense can arrive at a compromise verdict that would not have occurred if it was all or nothing. But it can go the other way as well.

I have no idea if this person is guilty or not, but I wonder what options the jury was given. Juries are often giving the options between findings - 2nd degree, voluntary manslaughter, involuntary manslaughter, double parking while waiting for the police to arrive, etc.

It is risky to have the multiple options, since a jury with a mix of not guilty and guilty of the most serious offense can arrive at a compromise verdict that would not have occurred if it was all or nothing. But it can go the other way as well.
Way back when, he was charged with involuntary manslaughter and I haven't read anything anywhere that suggests that changed right up to the trial.

So he fired through the window that was spidered?
Yes. What sucks about this is I went to HS with Sam. He graduated a year after me. Goes to show you even a good kid can get f***** because his inability to let things go. My father always told me: "When you let people get to you and influence your actions, they're the ones in control - not you". Not every insult requires a response. Let this be a lesson. My father was born and raised in Karachi - the most dangerous city in the world.

Depends, does he own a home and have umbrella homeowner's insurance? Maybe a solid half mil.
Going through Google and all the public records that I could find, I see no indication that he was a homeowner at the time of the incident and he sure as heck didn't buy a house after the incident. He did make bail ($35K cash bail - put up by his parents maybe?) and was put on house arrest at his parent's home in Ashland.

Yes. What sucks about this is I went to HS with Sam. He graduated a year after me. Goes to show you even a good kid can get f***** because his inability to let things go. My father always told me: "When you let people get to you and influence your actions, they're the ones in control - not you". Not every insult requires a response. Let this be a lesson. My father was born and raised in Karachi - the most dangerous city in the world.
Definitely dont try to use a firearm in a road rage.

Double what I expected. I would assume there will be an appeal.
It's close to what the defense attorney asked for and apparently within the state guideline for involuntary manslaughter. So, appeal the verdict or the sentence?
Sorry, but he initiated the pursuit of the guy because he felt disted for being cut off. He should have just driven away
Yet another reason why I hate driving in and around Worcester, MA... those congested city streets where normal rules of the road and courtesy don't seem to apply.
he is going to hate SBCC. If he thought his life was in danger on the street its definitely going to be in danger there.
Look like he will be taken in and processed there, but he better hope & pray that he lands somewhere else in the system... or he is a dead man. 🤔

Sorry, but he initiated the pursuit of the guy because he felt disted for being cut off. He should have just driven away

As has been stated numerous times. There was no pursuit. Maybe he could have just driven away. I don’t know if there was room to backup or not. But he did not pursue.

so this is in Staten Island. shooter is a retired LEO. guy with machete is running away, turns , throws machete and retired cop lights him up.

I think the Leo should go to jail...the threat is clearly over

Crazy how quick things happen and it’s probably not easy at all to think about the confines of the law and whether you are justified while it is going down. So by far the best thing is to do whatever you can to stay the hell out of these situations.

Avoid and de-escalate. Because if there is anything I’ve learned from these cases is that things happen faster than you have time to think and make the best decision for the future of yourself and others involved. And often times things aren’t cut and dry and easy to sort out. That leaves you at the mercy of other people who probably have no experience in these situations and very well may not see it your way.

As has been stated numerous times. There was no pursuit. Maybe he could have just driven away. I don’t know if there was room to backup or not. But he did not pursue.

Didn't sound like a pursuit to me. If I'm behind you in traffic, am I pursuing you?
Well, they ended up stopping a bit over 800 ft down the road from the intersection where they first encountered each other. That's according to newspaper information and Google maps. So is following the guy (i.e., the "victim") 800+ feet down the road while tailgating and beeping the horn a "pursuit"? 🤔

Well, they ended up stopping a bit over 800 ft down the road from the intersection where they first encountered each other. That's according to newspaper information and Google maps. So is following the guy (i.e., the "victim") 800+ feet down the road while tailgating and beeping the horn a "pursuit"? 🤔

Depends, is that the direction he was driving anyway? It’s not pursuit if they both happen to be going the same way. And 800 feet is not very far in a car.

It's close to what the defense attorney asked for and apparently within the state guideline for involuntary manslaughter. So, appeal the verdict or the sentence?

Yet another reason why I hate driving in and around Worcester, MA... those congested city streets where normal rules of the road and courtesy don't seem to apply.

Look like he will be taken in and processed there, but he better hope & pray that he lands somewhere else in the system... or he is a dead man. 🤔
He’ll be spending several months there to be classified for the rest of his state time. If I were him I’d just leave the cell for chow.

Verdict

Depends, is that the direction he was driving anyway? It’s not pursuit if they both happen to be going the same way. And 800 feet is not very far in a car.
Well, it's kind of a moot point in this case as far as I can see... i.e., the definition of a "pursuit." Sam followed... tailgating and beeping his horn. That was enough to piss off the "victim" and he decided to stop and confront an already pissed-off Sam. Fatal mistake for the "victim"... and a life-changing mistake for Sam.

But this is Worcester. I know what it is like driving those crazy streets. Sam was stupid. He should have let it go. Good lesson for the rest of us. Those crazy, busy, congested Worcester streets are a potential trap for any one of us who is prone to getting pissed off in inner city traffic. :(

Well, it's kind of a moot point in this case as far as I can see... i.e., the definition of a "pursuit." Sam followed... tailgating and beeping his horn. That was enough to piss off the "victim" and he decided to stop and confront an already pissed-off Sam. Fatal mistake for the "victim"... and a life-changing mistake for Sam.

But this is Worcester. I know what it is like driving those crazy streets. Sam was stupid. He should have let it go. Good lesson for the rest of us. Those crazy, busy, congested Worcester streets are a potential trap for any one of us who is prone to getting pissed off in inner city traffic. :(

It’s moot in this case because he was found guilty of involuntary manslaughter anyway,

But my point is that pursuit is to follow someone with the intent of following them. Driving in the same direction as someone because you’re both going that direction is not pursuit. The “victim” put himself in front of this guy, this guy didn’t try to get behind the victim. Honking and tailgating does not indicate an intent to follow/pursue someone.

Obviously dangerous mistakes were made by both parties, particularly the “victim”. Never get out of your car on the road to confront someone, but I don’t see pursuit here.

My 2 cents: “pursuit” is hyperbolic unless one can prove something that distinguishes what he did from merely following. Examples would be proving that he deviated from the route he originally intended in order to continue “following”. Another example, which seems irrelevant in this case, would be speeding to catch up from some distance.

I will say that 800ft is far enough to start backing off, but it’s also possible that a driver playing the role of the deceased in this story might have started retaliatory braking, maybe even brake checking. I am writing plausible fiction here, but it also serves to highlight what I know that I don’t know about this incident.

It’s moot in this case because he was found guilty of involuntary manslaughter anyway,

But my point is that pursuit is to follow someone with the intent of following them. Driving in the same direction as someone because you’re both going that direction is not pursuit. The “victim” put himself in front of this guy, this guy didn’t try to get behind the victim. Honking and tailgating does not indicate an intent to follow/pursue someone.

Obviously dangerous mistakes were made by both parties, particularly the “victim”. Never get out of your car on the road to confront someone, but I don’t see pursuit here.

My 2 cents: “pursuit” is hyperbolic unless one can prove something that distinguishes what he did from merely following. Examples would be proving that he deviated from the route he originally intended in order to continue “following”. Another example, which seems irrelevant in this case, would be speeding to catch up from some distance.

I will say that 800ft is far enough to start backing off, but it’s also possible that a driver playing the role of the deceased in this story might have started retaliatory braking, maybe even brake checking. I am writing plausible fiction here, but it also serves to highlight what I know that I don’t know about this incident.
The key thing (for me anyway) is how dangerous certain diverse, congested streets of Worcester can be. The good wife and I have found ourselves trapped there more than once and had to take evasive action to avoid potential ugliness or worse. Never had that happen like that elsewhere in MA. It's a crazy city... parts of it anyway.

But he wasn't hit at all. A Window was hit. The altercation would have never happened if Peckham had simply let it go instead of tailgating him and honking his horn. This would piss just about anyone off. Could have just flipped him off and been done with the whole thing. Now he's going to prison.

“The defendant became angered by this and began to blow his horn and tailgate the victim up Highland Street,” Casella said. The prosecutor said video surveillance from buildings along Highland Street shows Peckham traveling very closely behind Smith’s car. After being tailed, Smith stopped his car in the area of Bowdoin Street and got out and approached Peckham’s car, Casella said. “It’s alleged that the victim punched the window of the defendant’s car,” Casella said. “The window did spider, it did not shatter.”

And Smith would still be alive if he had just kept driving. The Tango is not a solo dance.

Your Father gave damn good advice

Back
Top Bottom