Family Blames Gun Show For Boy's Death

I used to believe were I at the event in question, I might have intervened to stop it or at least say something. However, after being at the Pumpkin Shoot this weekend, I realized I wouldn't have. When parents were with their children shooting, it never would have occurred to me to say a word. I made the assumption that the parent knows the child better than I do and it is the parent's job to parent.

Actually, I did just the opposite. I made a point to check on the father/child interaction more regularly than the adults. Not because I expected any issues, but I know how easy it is to get tunnel vision when you are dealing with a child and lose your awareness of what is going on around you.

Not my job to parent, but it IS my job as RSO to ensure safety.

I looked at what was being used, how the 'supervision' was occurring, and how well the child in question handled the firearm they were using. And it didn't matter if it was Jim or Dennis who I know quite well, or someone that I'd just met that morning. MY job was safety and that comes before ANY personal attachment.

I think I mentioned to at least one person - The kids I witnessed were some of the safest shooters on the line Saturday. The adults (and certain adults in particular) would do well to follow their lead.

The only real comments I think need to be made are these:

When you attend a shoot, LISTEN to the freaking safety briefings. Specific requests are made during those briefings that MUST be adhered to. For example, the club asked for everyone walking up to the line to carry the firearm with the muzzle UP. I can't tell you the number of times I had to remind people this, and take my eyes off the line. While I personally prefer a muzzle down orientation, it was not my club and not my rules.

Keep in mind that the act of CLOSING the action CAN result in a discharge. I've had it happen in a rimfire gun on a few occasions and I know one centerfire that did it. Please Please Please make sure your muzzle is pointing at the backstop when you load. While we didn't have any such incidents on Saturday, the number of opportunities was quite high. I know I mentioned it to several people during the morning.

And lastly, please remember that the gap on a revolver - especially the big ones - can cause significant damage to you if you have your hand near it as a cartridge is lit off. Cocking the hammer with your hand near the gap is DANGEROUS. If you have that hammer slip from your thumb before it catches on the sear, you CAN fire the gun. Just because you are "just cocking" is no reason to ignore basic safety. I mentioned this one to a few people too.

OK, I'm done preaching for today.

This is what's wrong with this country.

I'm done. This is an exercise in stupidity.

Wow. Gun owners taking responsibility for their own guns is what's wrong with this country? I guess I'm a commie.

THE BOTTOM LINE, IF YOU'RE GOING TO LET RANDOM ASSHAT FATHERS PLAY WITH YOUR GUNS YOU BETTER KNOW WTF THEY'RE DOING.

IT'S PARTLY THE FATHERS FAULT, BUT MOSTLY THE OWNER'S FAULT.

No, It's mostly the father's fault by far. It's his kid and he's responsible for the kid. In addition to the father's GROSS stupidity, the RSO or whomever was in charge of instruction/safety/whatever you want to call it has some fault.

Wow. Gun owners taking responsibility for their own guns is what's wrong with this country? I guess I'm a commie.

Hey genius did the father go up to the line and say he was f-ing clueless about the gun? From the comments in the thread I am positive he told the gun owner he knew wtf he was doing.

If you told me you knew what you were doing and you took my gun from me and your son shot himself with it you'd probably sue me too wouldn't you? Like I said it's a f-ed up thing to do.

Hey genius did the father go up to the line and say he was f-ing clueless about the gun? From the comments in the thread I am positive he told the gun owner he knew wtf he was doing.

I don't know because I wasn't there but it doesn't matter. If I'm the owner / responsible party I'm not going to take his word for it. My guns, my responsibility, my rules.

If you told me you knew what you were doing and you took my gun from me and your son shot himself with it you'd probably sue me too wouldn't you? Like I said it's a f-ed up thing to do.

I could care less about the suing part. What I care about is learning from this Charlie-Foxtrot so that it doesn't happen again. It would have been better if the "experts" who were running this thing had done their jobs in the first place but they didn't. It's a teachable moment.

Edit: And if that means that the person / people responsible get spanked then so be it. They deserve a good spanking.

Last edited:

Actually in that situation I'd most likely turn the gun on myself after.

Has it been mentioned that the kid was operating the gun against the RSO's wishes and that "Dad" was in fact arguing with the RSO about it?

Yes, Dad, was arguing with the RSO that was supposed to be supervising the kid. Leaving the kid unsupervised for that split second when he pulled the trigger.

Has it been mentioned that the kid was operating the gun against the RSO's wishes and that "Dad" was in fact arguing with the RSO about it?

Yes, Dad, was arguing with the RSO that was supposed to be supervising the kid. Leaving the kid unsupervised for that split second when he pulled the trigger.

If that was really how it went down then the dad is even more negligent than I thought...

-Mike

No it haddn't. Throws even more responsibility on the father.

IMO the father is the sole person to blame. Having seen many kids shoot, each one is different in their own ability. If I saw a father hand his son a micro uzi I would be convinced his father knows that kids ability more than I do.

He needs to man up and take responsibility so his actions. This witch hunt is complete bullshit.

i agree the father should be the one blamed here. but the libtard d a said the father has suffered enough already so no charges.

If this is the case, this entire thing is a waste of f'n time and money. And to have criminal charges filed is a slap in the face.

How does the 15 year old kid play into this? Was he the RSO?

Setting aside the argument about who owns what portion of the responsibility, I really hope that after the legal stuff is over someone puts together a case study on this. It appears that there was so much done wrong here that it could be used as an example of what not to do.

One of the probelms that I see with this discussion, is that there are few facts with the exception of the dead kid that are not in dispute.

And I don't mean that in a "legal" sense, but a factual one.

Review the above posts,and answer: was, or was not, the grip safety disabled? Was the dad pushing the RSO to let his son to shoot, or not?

Were the posters on this thread there when it happened, or even before?

Unfortunately, the Fog of [legal] Battle is firmly in place, and it's unlikely that Truth ( with a capital "T" ) will be known to all any time soon.

If you weren't there, then I respectfully suggest that the subject be closed, as most people's minds are made up, both in this venue, and in the wider world, where the Icky Guns(tm) did another bad thing.

The blame game will proceed apace, the Lawyers and Antis and "Won't Someone Think About The Children-ers" will make political hay, and no good will come of this.

If analyzed, most, if not all, accidents have a chain of events leading up to them that, in hindsight, make you say, " Well, of course, it was bound to happen.

But, as we all know, hindsight is 20/20.

The RSO....you mean the fifteen year-old kid that was supposedly in charge on the line? THAT RSO?

The father and/or the guy who put the rubber-band on the gun are to blame.

And if I were on the jury and saw that they were suing the ammo manufacturer along with everyone else I would give them nothing from anyone in return for being so ridiculously greedy.

Good luck to the family trying to get a single sheckle out of IMI. The Israelis will just laugh at them for their own stupidity. Thats the one thing I like about Israelies - they know what personal responsibility is and they dont take shit from anyone.

Does anyone have a link where the series of events is described? Boy steps up to firing line, "instructor" say can't shoot, father argues point, they rig safety by-pass, boy fires. That kind of thing?

Back
Top Bottom