FAL sights

M1966

NES Member
Dunno if this upload will work. I drew a pic of a set of FAL sights and tried to upload it. Can someone tell me the proper way to sight down a FAL. I get conflicting opinions and even more conflicting patterns...The rear is a seemingly large circle and the front is three pronged with the short sight in the middle with sight guards(?) on each side. Thanks

Attachments

• Sight Window.JPG
    Sight Window.JPG
    10.3 KB · Views: 24
In a nutshell, you center the front sight post in the circle and then put that post on what you want to hit.

The two "wings" on the front sight are protectors. Don't use them for anything in your sight picture.

Even though this is a call of duty wiki, that picture is accurate.

With these sights, you will tend to naturally center the top of the front post in the circle.

Then, depending on the application, you'll either want to put the top of the post just under the target (6oclock hold, used for shooting known-sized targets at a known range), or the top of the post on the target (this is what I use on my AR). Of course, you will have to sight the rifle in before any of that applies.

Explanation of the principle behind aperture sights...

Aperture sights, also known as peep sights, range from the ghost ring sight, whose thin ring blurs to near invisibility (hence ghost), to target aperture sights that use large disks or other occluders with pinhole-sized apertures. In general, the thicker the ring, the more precise the sight, and the thinner the ring, the faster the sight.[1] The image to the right shows a shooter's eye view of the sight picture taken through large and small diameter apertures. The large diameter aperture provides a much brighter image of the target, and the ghosting of the rear ring is evident. The smaller aperture, while providing a much darker image of the target, provides a much greater depth of field (see pinhole camera for an explanation of this effect), yielding a much sharper image of the target.[1] The theory of operation behind the aperture sight is that the human eye will automatically center the front sight when looked through the rear aperture, thus ensuring accuracy.[1]

These sights are used on target rifles of several disciplines and on several military rifles such as the M1 Garand, the No. 4 series Enfields and the M16 series of weapons along with several others. Peep sights are very effective in poor lighting, and have found favor with a few hunters who hunt in heavy cover.[citation needed]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_sight#Aperture_sights

If you want I can extricate my FAL from the safe and take some pictures of the sight picture for you.

Back
Top Bottom