extra nutty Globe Letter to the Editor

Simple solution would be to call the Superintendent of Schools in Brockton and ask if they agree with the teacher.

http://www.brocktonpublicschools.com/page.cfm?p=3

Contact Us
Contact Us

Visit

Crosby Administration Building
43 Crescent Street
Brockton, MA 02301

Mail

Crosby Administration Building
43 Crescent Street
Brockton, MA 02301

Hours

School Year:
Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Summer/School Vacation:
Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

Work Permits Issued:
School Year: 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Summer: 8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.

Phone

(508) 580-7000

Email

Direct comments to: [email protected]

About Doug Van Gorder

Last edited:
Satire or not, some who were riding the fence in either direction, will use it to solidify their beliefs. Sad some will use it for anti gun propaganda, but, it will provoke parents to rethink the idea, knowing, that some teachers would rather see their students as bullet sponges, than to be able to escape harm. I think this guy needs to be called out, and if he means what he says, then he needs to be removed from his position as a teacher. Not because I disagree with him and his opinion, but because he just publicly invited some nut job to enter his class room and execute every child with out fear of any fight or any defense. It may have been written as satire, but I am not laughing..............

Simple solution would be to call the Superintendent of Schools in Brockton and ask if they agree with the teacher.

Calling a guy out to his employer can be a double edged sword, especially for teachers. He could be a moonbat. He could be a conservative who's throwing some biting satire back at his libtard colleagues. Which do you think would make him most unpopular.

Odds are it'll make no difference in his life anyway, but I really think it's bad form. In any event, he's made himself public, leave it at that ... or at least leave it to people in his district to respond according to their conscience.

I'm pretty sure the guy is not a teacher, but an author. Sure seems that way from Google. I couldn't find a list of faculty on the Brockton School web site.

I find it to be so utterly... frustrating.... that this guy could actually be serious. I really, really think it's satire, but I absolutely think that in this crazy state of Massachusetts, there are people who actually feel this way.

I find it to be so utterly... frustrating.... that this guy could actually be serious. I really, really think it's satire, but I absolutely think that in this crazy state of Massachusetts, there are people who actually feel this way.

exactly.

It's fake. Even the left-wingiest, mooniest moonbat wouldn't write this:

But threat of attack is much diminished now due to America’s increased global approval, approval that is a virtual security blanket President Obama has knitted from hope, change and powerful supplications before the world.

Should evidence from waterboarding not be excluded – admittedly setting a precedent permitting torture of citizens too – it will be worth the loss of our protections from such tactics in order to redistribute our rights to all humanity.

Better to spread rights, slightly thinned, than to hoard them even for our own children. Thankfully, our president values global equality, underscored each time he rightfully bows before world leaders in symbolic atonement for our disproportionate quality of life.

Last edited:
I agree that it is sarcasm and I like the points the author is trying to make. I am however going to criticize his writing style as I believe it leaves readers with an ambiguous feeling of "well did he really mean that?".
If it's satire or sarcasm I should walk away with "wow that was a really well written piece of satire/sarcasm".
I am going to go with the sarcasm/satire impression only because I believe that in even in Assachusetts there is no way that anybody could be this bad.

I'm voting for satire. Actually, I think it's pretty brilliant satire. He takes the moonbat belief in diversity (merely for the sake of diversity) and carries it to an extreme, then holds it up as a mirror for the moonbats to see themselves in. The fact that he can do this so seriously might actually make some moonbats see how stupid some of their arguments are. He does it so well that people aren't sure whether or not he's serious, which is a hallmark of well done satire. I think the guy is several steps above common sarcasm. I admire his writing ability.

Of course, if he's serious, then he's as crazy as a $hithou$e rat. [rofl]

Sure doesn't sound like a flaming liberal in this letter...

Focus should be on revising police policies

August 03, 2008

Regarding the Yarmouth police shooting, the public seems more concerned with debating whether the officer should be investigated for violating department policies than in deciding whether such policies are valid.

Police department policies forbid an officer to shoot if he has reasonable expectation of escape by backing away. If it be judged the Yarmouth officer could have backed away, policy holds he was wrong to shoot. And we're OK with that?

Police department policies forbid an officer to pursue a suspect who is driving to endanger. If it be judged the Yarmouth officer should have ended the pursuit, policy holds he was wrong there, too. And we're OK with that?

Our ire should not be based on the fact that an officer accomplished a positive good and is nevertheless being investigated; if he did violate policy, all we could say is, "Gee, I guess everything is OK then."

Everything is not OK. What should enrage the public is that we allow our local governments to hogtie our police officers with policies overly tolerant of criminal behavior. Rewrite police department policies to maximize protection for officers and the public, and let those who challenge law enforcement maximize their own protection by standing still and placing their hands over their heads.

Doug Van Gorder

Quincy

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080803/OPINION/808030349/-1/rss08

Here's another, but it's incomplete...

Article: Bad Quincy gun policies

Article from:
The Patriot Ledger Quincy, MA
Article date:
September 7, 2005
Author:
Doug Van Gorder, Quincy CopyrightCopyright 2005 The Patriot Ledger Quincy, MA. Provided by ProQuest LLC. (Hide copyright information)
rg

A recent Patriot Ledger article informed readers that Quincy residents are planning a rally across from the police station on Sept. 17. They do so to protest Chief Crowley's policy that Quincy residents should be denied the right to carry firearms in Massachusetts for what he terms generic self-defense.

Criminals must applaud the chief in his attempt to keep guns out of the hands of the general population. They find it hard ...

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-9444975.html

Last edited:
Calling a guy out to his employer can be a double edged sword, especially for teachers. He could be a moonbat. He could be a conservative who's throwing some biting satire back at his libtard colleagues. Which do you think would make him most unpopular.

Odds are it'll make no difference in his life anyway, but I really think it's bad form. In any event, he's made himself public, leave it at that ... or at least leave it to people in his district to respond according to their conscience.

Regardless of what he says in the exercise of his first amendment rights, he shouldn't be fired. So long as he says it in the newspaper and not in the classroom I could not care less. Whether or not he is a barking moonbat or a biting satirist, he shouldn't lose his job for speaking his mind in an appropriate venue.

Regardless of what he says in the exercise of his first amendment rights, he shouldn't be fired. So long as he says it in the newspaper and not in the classroom I could not care less. Whether or not he is a barking moonbat or a biting satirist, he shouldn't lose his job for speaking his mind in an appropriate venue.

When his point of view places someone else's child in danger, he should be held to account.

There are consequences to everything.

It has to be satire..I have a question though..Have any of you really met people like that? Connecticut is far from conservative but besides Politicians I have talked firearms with hundreds of people (Even Die Hard Obama Supporters) and never met anyone who was against the carrying of firearms/anti self defense....or they just would not admit it

I like to believe it is satire but if my child was a student of his I would have a sitdown with him to find out why he is making public comments about school shootings.

When his point of view places someone else's child in danger, he should be held to account.

There are consequences to everything.

When math teachers dictate school security policies then we have something to go after him for.

I don't know how many Doug Van Gorders' there are in the world. But following your link - it goes off to a page that lists all sorts of theatre type stuff.

And Doug Van Gorder is listed in there as doing stage management or some such thing.

My girlfriend is involved in theatre. Many of these people are off the wall "progressive" liberals who have no clue about the real world.

To me that is evidence that this guy who wrote the Globe editorial letter is completely serious about what he wrote.

And this is why he deserves to be Zumboe'd - he is basically advocating for letting children die. Somebody ought to write a letter to the local Brockton paper and bring Mr. Van Odor's comments to the attention of the parents of kids in Brockton (whom he is advocating should die).

I know it should still be confirmed that this is NOT satire - but my vote is for this guy is serious about this.

Satire! Brilliant satire!

brilliant_medium.jpg

Satire.

I guess the grade I would give is "unsuccessful." It's pretty good from a literary point of view, but not well-matched to the op-ed/letter to editor context.

This guy is great. And I don't care if it is intended to be satire, because, regardless of the writer's intent, it is satire. As such, it is very well done.

I don't know either way, but I do have a liberal loon neighbor that said he would not want me to come to his aid or his families if they were being attacked , if I was going to be carrying a gun! I could drop the gun and come help him with a bat, that would be ok, but I shouldn't try to hit the intruder in the head! That's a quote, and he was serious!

Back
Top Bottom