Extendable baton?

I'm damn near positive the answer is no, but I'll check anyways.

Is it legal to carry an extendable baton? There have been a number of muggings/robberies around the BU campus, and I'd like to make sure I don't become a victim.

Thanks,
-Mike

I don't know, but isn't your car giving you trouble? Didn't you just have to adjust the whatchamajiggy? It sure is a shame you forgot and left that 12" crescent wrench in your back pocket.

MGL Chapter 269 section 10:
"...(b) Whoever, except as provided by law, carries on his person, or carries on his person or under his control in a vehicle, any stiletto, dagger or a device or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position, any ballistic knife, or any knife with a detachable blade capable of being propelled by any mechanism, dirk knife, any knife having a double-edged blade, or a switch knife, or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches, or a slung shot, blowgun, blackjack, metallic knuckles or knuckles of any substance which could be put to the same use with the same or similar effect as metallic knuckles, nunchaku, zoobow, also known as klackers or kung fu sticks, or any similar weapon consisting of two sticks of wood, plastic or metal connected at one end by a length of rope, chain, wire or leather, a shuriken or any similar pointed starlike object intended to injure a person when thrown, or any armband, made with leather which has metallic spikes, points or studs or any similar device made from any other substance or a cestus or similar material weighted with metal or other substance and worn on the hand, or a manrikigusari or similar length of chain having weighted ends; or whoever, when arrested upon a warrant for an alleged crime, or when arrested while committing a breach or disturbance of the public peace, is armed with or has on his person, or has on his person or under his control in a vehicle, a billy or other dangerous weapon other than those herein mentioned and those mentioned in paragraph (a), shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than two and one-half years nor more than five years in the state prison, or for not less than six months nor more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction, except that, if the court finds that the defendant has not been previously convicted of a felony, he may be punished by a fine of not more than fifty dollars or by imprisonment for not more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction."

Seems to me that it wouldnt be worth the hassle. I think a baton would bring you A LOT of unwanted attention. Not to mention, they are kind of a pain to lug around everywhere.
I would think that OC spray would be a better option. I'm also a big fan of the Persuader baton(kubotan keychain). ASP makes Kubotan keychains that spray OC.
If you are deadset on a baton, which I think is a bad idea, I would suggest a Monadnock Autolock JR. It looks like a kubotan and expands to about 10 inches IIRC.

One thing to note is that a Minimag light is just about the same size and shape as a Persuader. And you can put your keys on it, just like a Persuader. Unlike Persuaders, flashlights are allowed on commercial aircraft.

I don't know, but isn't your car giving you trouble? Didn't you just have to adjust the whatchamajiggy? It sure is a shame you forgot and left that 12" crescent wrench in your back pocket.

Ha ha ha, that one made me smile tuna.

After Nancy Kerrigan, Rodney King, etc. etc. there's been a very negative light cast on the wonderful world of telescoping batons. Monadnocks are good, but much heavier than an ASP or similar brands.

I wouldn't recommend carrying something like that, as others here have mentioned some good non-weapons that have similar affects. Especially if you want to carry it to a school in todays day and age, make it look very un-aggressive.

One of those collapsable hiking staffs with the retractable steel point would be handy if you did a lot of hiking.
A leather glove with a roll of dimes in each finger makes a good change purse.
A big assisted opening pocket knife wouldn't be noticed in polite company.
A leather belt with a pound or so brass buckle could be a fashion statement.

Remember to always carry one of those handy folding shovels in your car, in case you need to dig yourself out of a snowbank, or decapitate someone.

Personally, I would just get a big honkin' can of bear spray. You never know when a bear might attack.

MGL Chapter 269 section 10:
"...(b) Whoever, except as provided by law, carries on his person, or carries on his person or under his control in a vehicle, any stiletto, dagger or a device or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position, any ballistic knife, or any knife with a detachable blade capable of being propelled by any mechanism, dirk knife, any knife having a double-edged blade, or a switch knife, or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches, or a slung shot, blowgun, blackjack, metallic knuckles or knuckles of any substance which could be put to the same use with the same or similar effect as metallic knuckles, nunchaku, zoobow, also known as klackers or kung fu sticks, or any similar weapon consisting of two sticks of wood, plastic or metal connected at one end by a length of rope, chain, wire or leather, a shuriken or any similar pointed starlike object intended to injure a person when thrown, or any armband, made with leather which has metallic spikes, points or studs or any similar device made from any other substance or a cestus or similar material weighted with metal or other substance and worn on the hand, or a manrikigusari or similar length of chain having weighted ends; or whoever, when arrested upon a warrant for an alleged crime, or when arrested while committing a breach or disturbance of the public peace, is armed with or has on his person, or has on his person or under his control in a vehicle, a billy or other dangerous weapon other than those herein mentioned and those mentioned in paragraph (a), shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than two and one-half years nor more than five years in the state prison, or for not less than six months nor more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction, except that, if the court finds that the defendant has not been previously convicted of a felony, he may be punished by a fine of not more than fifty dollars or by imprisonment for not more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction."

The section you underlined applies to the possession of a billy club....etc..at the time you are arrested for another crime on a warrant or for a crime involving a breach of the peace.

It does not apply to possession in and of itself of a billy club.

I would not recommend using a specialized impact weapon unless you have received some training on it. Just my .02.

Last edited:
Personally, I would just get a big honkin' can of bear spray. You never know when a bear might attack.

I love this suggestion.

How about a weight on the end of a tether? I'm sure chains are illegal, but I've never heard anything about fishing line.

Half-cocked, so are you saying it might not be illegal to keep one on my person as defense?

Gotcha.

This rather frustrates me, as I feel like the laws are telling me to "Just run away, it'll be okay once you reach a police officer." I'm very pro-police, half my family are cops, but they aren't everywhere and I can't always run away, nor do I feel I should need to.

Try carrying one of these; you know, for that trick knee of yours? [wink][wink] nudge nudge

I would not recommend using a specialized impact weapon unless you have received some training on it. Just my .02.
Like, say, 20 years of swinging a rattan sword? Which is pretty close to a riot baton in size? [smile]

As I recall, there are 2 states down South that allow "civilians" to carry batons - TN and KY I think. A course is required for at least one of these.

I keep a Canemasters Pure Hickory Heart Street Cane in my car and walk with it frequently http://www.canemasters.com/premium-canes-pure-hickory-heart-canes-c-1_3_14.html

Of course it helps that my wife is a certified master instructor in the Canemasters school - I just walk with her [grin]

Half-cocked, so are you saying it might not be illegal to keep one on my person as defense?

Correct. The possession of it in and of itself is not a crime.

It becomes a crime if you get arrested as a result of a warrant or for a crime involving the breach of the peace and you possess one at that time.

So you can carry it but if you get into an argument and or fight with someone and end up getting arrested for disorderly conduct or assault and battery. The possession of it would become a felony even if you never used it!!

No...it does not make sense!!! But are you surprised.

My recommendation is to use something else. Don't you play baseball? [wink]

Correct. The possession of it in and of itself is not a crime.

It becomes a crime if you get arrested as a result of a warrant or for a crime involving the breach of the peace and you possess one at that time.

So you can carry it but if you get into an argument and or fight with someone and end up getting arrested for disorderly conduct or assault and battery. The possession of it would become a felony even if you never used it!!

No...it does not make sense!!! But are you surprised.

My recommendation is to use something else. Don't you play baseball? [wink]

Then just hope that your friendly local campus police officer doesn't have a broad and sweeping definition of disturbing the peace.

yeah, if you read the law, mere possession of the baton is not illegal. However, if you get pinched on a warrant or a breach of the peace, you might be looking at the business end of a 5 year felony.
Not to mention, if any cop worth his salt saw some Joe Schmoe walking around with a baton, he would at least encounter the person and start asking questions.

With all the other personal protection options out there, a baton just isn't worth the potential trouble.

Wish I could say that. The smallest Crescent I own is 18"!

I'm not looking to go walking around with my dad's old billy club, I was thinking more keeping an extendable baton, UNextended in my school bag.

Some shmuck comes up to me with a knife demanding my wallet and computer (which has been the reported cases), and I respond with by extending a 18" baton, I don't think he'll stay to discuss which is more useful in a fight.

Course that bear spray is also an awesome idea.

-Mike

Batons are Mass legal - so sayeth the SJC

Man's conviction overturned for carrying baton
November 18, 2009

BOSTON—Massachusetts law lists a blackjack as a dangerous weapon, but does not specifically mention an expandable baton.

That distinction has prompted the state's highest court to overturn a man's conviction for carrying a dangerous weapon.

The Supreme Judicial Court ruled Wednesday that Ami Perry's conviction is invalid because he was charged with carrying a blackjack, a short, leather-covered club with a heavy head. Actually, Perry was carrying an expandable baton, a similar weapon that is not listed in the law.

The court said the law identifies a number of specific weapons that are prohibited, and in some cases describes similar weapons that are also prohibited. But the law lists blackjack only and does not list similar weapons such as batons.

COMMONWEALTH vs. Ami H. PERRY.
SJC-10451
November 18, 2009.
Dangerous Weapon. Practice, Criminal, Required finding. Words, "Blackjack."

Thomas J. Chirokas for the defendant.

Michael J. Markoff, Special Assistant District Attorney, for the Commonwealth.

RESCRIPT.

After investigating a report of an assault, police detectives effectuated a warrantless arrest of the defendant, Ami H. Perry. He subsequently was charged with assault and battery by means of a dangerous weapon (a pencil), in violation of G.L. c. 265, § 15A (a ), and violation of a licensing statute, G.L. c. 90, § 24B. The police had seized an "expandable baton" from him after arrest and, on that basis, he also was charged with carrying a dangerous weapon in violation of G.L. c. 269, § 10 (b ), "to wit: a BLACKJACK." [FN1] Following a jury-waived trial, a judge of the District Court entered a required finding of not guilty as to the first two charges. The defendant was convicted of the third charge. The Appeals Court affirmed the conviction, Commonwealth v. Perry, 73 Mass.App.Ct. 1122 (2009), and this court allowed the defendant's application for further review. We reverse.

Discussion. The defendant was carrying an "expandable baton" [FN2] when he was taken into custody and booked. Although an expandable baton is not among the weapons specifically listed in the first portion of G.L. c. 269, § 10 (b ),

[FN3] see note 1, supra, the Commonwealth charged the defendant with carrying "a dangerous weapon, to wit: a BLACKJACK, not being authorized by law

to do so, in violation of G.L. c. 269, § 10 (b )." Over the defendant's objection at trial, a police detective compared the expandable baton to a blackjack, but conceded on both direct and cross-examination that the expandable baton at issue was not truly a blackjack. The detective stated: "t's not my testimony that this is a blackjack, it's my testimony that it is similar in the way that it's constructed" (emphasis added).

The question is whether the evidence warranted a finding that the expandable baton was a blackjack within the meaning of the first portion of G.L. c. 269, § 10 (b ). In construing the statute, we begin with the observation that "[a] general tenet of statutory construction is that the 'statutory expression of one thing is an implied exclusion of other things omitted from the statute.' " Commonwealth v. Ronald R., 450 Mass. 262, 266 (2007), quoting Harborview Residents' Comm., Inc. v. Quincy Hous. Auth., 368 Mass. 425, 432 (1975).

The statute identifies a number of specific weapons that are prohibited. In some instances, the name of the weapon is followed by language describing weapons similar to the identified weapon. Thus, for example, the statute identifies several specific types of knives, but then also refers to "any [other] knife" having certain characteristics. Similarly, the statute refers to "knuckles of any substance" that can be "put to the same use with the same or similar effect" as metallic knuckles; nunchaku, zoobow "or any similar weapon" configured with two sticks connected by rope, chain, or wire; and shuriken or "any similar pointed starlike object intended to injure a person when thrown." G.L. c. 269, § 10 (b ).

Other weapons, however, such as a "blackjack," are particularly named in the statute, without any accompanying reference to "similar weapons," or those that can be put to the "same or similar" use or effect. While the second portion of § 10 (b ) contains very broad, catch-all language ("or other dangerous weapon "), the first portion of the subsection--the only part applicable to this defendant, see note 3, infra--does not. The first portion purports to proscribe only carrying certain dangerous weapons, but not others. [FN4] See Commonwealth v. Smith, 40 Mass.App.Ct. 770, 770-771, 777 (1996) (homemade weapon satisfied definition of a "knife," particularly in that Legislature used the general term "any knife"); Commonwealth v. Miller, 22 Mass.App.Ct. 694, 694-695 n. 1 (1986) ("clear that the Legislature did not intend to encompass all knives in its enumeration of 'per se' dangerous weapons"); Commonwealth v. Blavackas, 11 Mass.App.Ct. 746, 752-753 (1981) (small kitchen bread knife with approximately eight-inch blade not type of knife specified in first portion of G.L. c. 269, § 10 [b ] ). In this case, the omission of language broadly including weapons similar to blackjacks in purpose or effect, when read in light of the inclusion of such language in both the first and second part of the statute with regard to other types of weapons, indicates the Legislature intended specifically to proscribe "blackjack" but not all weapons similar to blackjacks. The Commonwealth's contention that the defendant's expandable baton is the "functional equivalent of a blackjack," is therefore unavailing.

The evidence in this case is not sufficient to establish that the "expandable baton" carried by the defendant was a "blackjack" carried in violation of G.L. c. 269, § 10 (b ). While the term "blackjack" is not defined in G.L. c. 269, § 10 (b ), the Commonwealth's witness testified that the weapon seized from the defendant was not a blackjack.

Judgment reversed.

Man's conviction overturned for carrying baton

The evidence in this case is not sufficient to establish that the "expandable baton" carried by the defendant was a "blackjack" carried in violation of G.L. c. 269, § 10 (b ). While the term "blackjack" is not defined in G.L. c. 269, § 10 (b ), the Commonwealth's witness testified that the weapon seized from the defendant was not a blackjack.

Judgment reversed.

You would then be classed an unsuitable person by your Police Chief and lose your LTC - Judgement lost (pun intended).

Back
Top Bottom