Ever wanted to try USPSA/IPSC Shooting?

I know that I never really wandered down to the competitive shooting forums here on NES until I stumbled upon this class at my club a couple years back and got hooked on the action shooting sports so I wanted to put a quick post in "General" for those who never venture down the forum list.....the club really doesn't make any dough on this class so hopefully I don't catch the ban-hammer for "spam" [shocked]

Once a year Hopkinton Sportsmans does an Introduction to IPSC/USPSA class at the club. If you've ever thought about trying your hand at "action" pistol competition this class will teach you everything you need to know to be safe and confortable at your first match. It's a two day class on March 23-24 and covers all the range commands, procedures, safety rules, scoring, how to breakdown a stage, etc, and includes a simulated match on the second day that is run just like the real thing. oh, and lunch is included both days in the class fee (short money at $75).

Info on registration can be found HERE, or feel free to PM me with questions.

for those who don't follow the different disciplines USPSA is about "run, gun, and have fun"...you choose how you want to shoot a stage and do it as quickly as you can while still getting your hits (or that's the theory, I forget that last part sometimes). Here's a youtube of some of my (not very good) runs at last years big championship match at Harvard Sportsmans to give you an idea of what to expect....

If USPSA doesn't look like your thing other clubs do classes on IDPA, 3gun, service rifle, and probably everything else so do yourself a favor and check the Competition forums every now and then...it's a lot more fun than standing in one spot poking holes in the same piece of paper 50' away!

BostonBullit

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice video, looks like fun, but I would suck at that.

Unless you are vying for the top of the scoresheet nobody cares about your score but you as long as you don't scare anyone. As Matt Burkett once said, they can't take away your birthday and your dog will still like you.

Nice video, looks like fun, but I would suck at that.

You were watching a some amazingly fast and accurate shooters. It probably took a lot of time and effort to get that good. Not everyone can compete at the top of the list but almost anyone can have a lot of fun trying. If I can partake in this fun activity, anyone can.
Step out of your comfort zone and give it a try. [grin]
Best regards.

One of the very cool things about USPSA, and some of the other disciplines as well, is that you get to shoot with people in different divisions and classes while not having to compete directly against them. You might be a C or D class shooter in the Production division using the glock you had sitting in the safe and be squadded up with a Revolver, Open blaster, and single stack guys of varying skill. This lets you see how people with more experience and/or different equipment game a stage and learn from watching them; but at the end of the day your technically only competing with other C or D class Production shooters. Everyone is helpful and willing to offer advice so it's ususally a very friendly atmosphere...just a fun way to spend a day at the range pushing yourself to be a better shooter or just having some fun and BSing with other gun nuts [wink]

ETA: and if you want to get an idea of what playing this game, and practicing at it, can do for your shooting let's compare and contrast the video above to a vid of me in the second match I ever shot...
[video=youtube_share;SKmW10-bV1c]http://youtu.be/SKmW10-bV1c[/video]

Last edited:
I took this class! It was a ton of fun, and seems to be about the best environment to get your feet wet in this type of shooting that you'll find. Great value too, honestly. I sadly haven't done much of this kind of shooting since then, but I think I'll have a bit more time this year, and I'm still glad I took this course to get me going. I guarantee anyone that tries this will have a ball.

I have been interested in this for a few years. What does a "basic starters" package entail. Well aware that advanced set ups are "skys the limit". But for an entry level person what are we looking to need to compete (O.K. never mind compete. Show up with the right stuff and not make a fool of myself)

I did my First USPSA shoot today... Why did I wait so long!! If you even THINK you might like it, try it.

My entry level Set-up was my Ruger SR9c (I already had 6 Mags for this gun), an On-Waist Holster ($20-30), a 2 Mag Belt Carrier ($20) and 100 rounds of ammo.

Last edited:
I have been interested in this for a few years. What does a "basic starters" package entail. Well aware that advanced set ups are "skys the limit". But for an entry level person what are we looking to need to compete (O.K. never mind compete. Show up with the right stuff and not make a fool of myself)
A typical setup:

Production division, 9x19 non-single action (striker fired ok), 10 round limit in this division so easy to get mags

5 mags, pouches to wear at least 4 on the belt

Belt and holster, strong side hip mount at belt level, covers trigger guard

Hearing/eye protection, cool shirt, range bag, 200 rounds ammo (more than you need for any local match except some at Harvard)

Basic understanding of the rules and gun handling conventions (where/when, etc.)

Rob addressed the equipment issues. I started shooting action pistol a few years ago, first IDPA then I branched out to USPSA, ICORE, and steel challenge. One thing I can guarantee you: Nobody will care about how slow or inaccurate you shoot. As long as you are safe, nobody will care. Most will bend over backwards to help you improve. When I first started shooting I was worried that I would make a fool of myself. Don't let that keep you from giving it a try.

I should also say, that in the current ammo environment, USPSA and similar is actually a pretty good way to get more entertainment mileage out of your ammo. I used to think that going to the range and just blasting away a case of ammo was totally awesome, but I can have more fun in the same amount of time and expend less ammo if I'm shooting "stages" with movement, reloading, etc etc taking up in some cases as much time as is spent shooting. Plus it gets the blood flowing in a way that a normal range day can't. Catch my drift?

My bone stock m&p9 + 4 mags + my fat ass ok to try this? I don't care abt making a fool out of myself lol but I'm losing interest in handgun shooting due to all the club regulations (no draw, no reactive targets...) and just punching holes in paper targets

My bone stock m&p9 + 4 mags + my fat ass ok to try this? I don't care abt making a fool out of myself lol but I'm losing interest in handgun shooting due to all the club regulations (no draw, no reactive targets...) and just punching holes in paper targets

Yup. If you don't have a holster we can find you one for the class.

Based on those rules, it sounds like you and I have been hanging around different clubs. Clubs that start with ""H" and end with "A" tend to be pretty good about that sort of stuff.

I actually have a Blackhawk holster, no mag pouches tho... I'm sure I can find something...

Get yourself 4 mag pouches. Ready Tactical mag pouches are great: Ready Tactical

You'll need a stiff belt. A regular dress belt is too floppy. I use a Wilderness Instructor belt, but there are lots of choices.

You don't have to be young and thin to do well in IDPA. Rob Leathem has gotten heavy and I think he has two knee replacements. He can still kick butt.

I like trail running shoes personally for this kind of thing, but I've shot in boots before. I don't think footwear choice is really critical for newbies, but I do like something lighter weight just for the sake of running comfortably.

A typical setup:
Production division, 9x19 non-single action (striker fired ok), 10 round limit in this division so easy to get mags

5 mags, pouches to wear at least 4 on the belt

Belt and holster, strong side hip mount at belt level, covers trigger guard

Hearing/eye protection, cool shirt, range bag, 200 rounds ammo (more than you need for any local match except some at Harvard)

Basic understanding of the rules and gun handling conventions (where/when, etc.)

I have a shirt I think is kinda neat, but I'm not sure if it is cool. Who should I ask if they think it is cool?

This is a great opportunity to get started. Like the others have said dont worry about how well you shoot. Everybody starts somewhere and most who try it get hooked for the long term. There are no bad questions so ask them. Be safe and have fun. This is absolutely my favorite sport and after many years my wallet reflects that! ;) I have met some of the best people I know shooting this game.

I cant wait for the season to start and I hope I see another group of new faces this year!

This certainly looks like a good time. My Glock 19 and me may come to make a fool of myself and hurt my pride in the fact that I am slow and cant hit a barn...Which is why I have a glock with 15 rounds mags..lol

This certainly looks like a good time. My Glock 19 and me may come to make a fool of myself and hurt my pride in the fact that I am slow and cant hit a barn...Which is why I have a glock with 15 rounds mags..lol

I thought the same way before I shot my first class, turns out that while im not fast (considering how little experiance I had drawing im not surprised) , I seem to be way more accurate then I expected under a timer. I think its something about shooting more instinctivley and not over thinking it.

Back
Top Bottom