Emergency Food, et al

What is the best bet for water storage? The tap water where I live is very good, but of course I can't depend on it in an emergency. Can I just bottle it for future use? I'd hate to spend lots of money on lots of emergency water when the stuff out of the tap seems just as good.

What is the best bet for water storage? The tap water where I live is very good, but of course I can't depend on it in an emergency. Can I just bottle it for future use? I'd hate to spend lots of money on lots of emergency water when the stuff out of the tap seems just as good.

You can buy a case of Poland spring bottles at Walmart for less than $5. I keep 6 cases on hand and bring them to work for rotation.

If you drink soda, you can fill the empty 2 liter bottles with tap water and it will keep for a while. Just water the plants with it every couple months and refill

You should also invest in a good water filter for when the stored stuff runs out. A small back packing filter is a must in case you have to bug out. Water is too heavy to carry a lot so you will have to refill on the go

Another thing to consider: Auguson buckets and #10 cans are stocked by Walmart online. If you buy over $50 you get free shipping -- not a bad way to mix and match small batches of stuff over time.

Keep in mind if SHTF you'll likely have water pressure for a period of time (minutes, hours), use that to fill up bathtubs or any water containers. Can't count on that of course, cause when SHTF you'll probably be on in the worst possible place, like vacationing in Mexico. [smile]

look into a rain barrel. then get a couple of Sawyer water filters. Also, make your own water filter for cheap $$.
https://www.amazon.com/Ceramic-Wate...748376&sr=8-17&keywords=ceramic+water+filters
http://geekprepper.org/diy-water-filter/

you can look at sterilization from bleach, and also how to make your own bleach from pool shock.

bleach quantity: http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/pdf/emergency/09_202278-b_make_water_safe_flyer_508.pdf

shock > bleach = http://tacticalintelligence.net/blog/how-to-make-chlorine.htm

Just keep it rotated, it loses potency over time.

for me (un)fortunately I go through a shit-ton of shock in my pool annually, so it's always rotated through

Speaking of Augason, the one month bucket Does have a water filter. Dollar General has water a LOT cheaper than Poland Springs. We have 18 cases on hand When it's on sale, it's two for 5.00. By all means, store tap water, too. We got some 6 gal "Jerry cans" in the camping dept. at walmart. Also, gallon Ice tea jugs well rinsed. If we end up sheltering in place, we'll have water.

you are going to have to take out a few people then. haha

Would you suggest I also stock up on pikes to then display "people kebabs" on the property as a warning to all others? [laugh]

If you (like me) are the fattest neighbor, just make sure you are also the most heavily armed.

I'm certain I've got one neighbor who is "friendly", otherwise I'm surrounded by Bernie/Clinton signage. [rolleyes]

If you are fat (Like me) and well stocked (like me) you need to have a set of clothes that are waaaay too big for you so it looks like you are losing weight from hunger

Or maybe another option would be to and get clothes two sizes to small so I could try to pull off the distended belly look. Although if I go with option one I don't envision many problems with folks passing by so clothing fitment shouldn't be an issue at that point. All the same, thanks for chiming in. [laugh]

If you are fat (Like me) and well stocked (like me) you need to have a set of clothes that are waaaay too big for you so it looks like you are losing weight from hunger

Like Hurley on Lost.

10-golfcourse_1261078856.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

In a crisis, immediately kill your fattest neighbor and take his rations. this should help you.

Great, you'll be well stocked on Oreos, Diet Coke and Cheese Curls.

Perfect! You know where to begin the neighborhood cleanse.

Well, if .. .prepare to lock and load. You-know-who will have a "democratic vote" in order to allow the "greater good" to enter each house, take inventory and share it with the community.

(that's what they're doing now, anyways, besides the force entry, as long as your W-2 is around and worth anything).

SHTF is a radical scenario. But if it's on ? The one I described is a given.

What's your course of action then ? shoot your friendly neighbors coming to take inventory ? How long can you hide your family being the only one not pale and malnourished ?

Last edited:
Well, if .. .prepare to lock and load. You-know-who will have a "democratic vote" in order to allow the "greater good" to enter each house, take inventory and share it with the community.

(that's what they're doing now, anyways, besides the force entry, as long as your W-2 is around and worth anything).

SHTF is a radical scenario. But if it's on ? The one I described is a given.

What's your course of action then ? shoot your friendly neighbors coming to take inventory ? How long can you hide your family being the only one not pale and malnourished ?

I've been told by neighbors, who I consider to be 'food'; that they're coming to my house if the SHTF. I told them the old adage from the 60's....."grass, gas, or ass....no one rides for free."

lol.

That's like: for years I've been worrying, man if it really hits the fan the one thing I'm really slacking on is firewood, don't have a wood stove currently so no real need/desire to hoard firewood. Neighbor next door finally trimmed down their tall grass to reveal the next neighbors back yard....about 10 cords all stacked under cover. First thing I said was "oh I'm all set now..." lol.

No sympathy here. They had access to the same information as me and chose not to prepare.

If they get past the warning signs I post, I may give them one warning shot if I liked them prior to TSHTF.

If it's a hurricane, flood, earthquake etc that is a temporary problem, I would share with anyone that I could. In a long term situation it's every man for himself

I'll double down on my own advice here: In the spirit of communism that has flooded the North East, and this is a great observation from a fellow NES'er:

Expect your preps to be relinquished for the "greater good", according to decision made by local women (who seem to be setting the tone nowadays anyways), and enforced by men in your community.

It's not going to be an easy one to overcome, and I 100% see this as possible. Just from seeing how dynamics are today.

I'd give this a long thought and see how you can bypass it.

If you live in a based rural area - probably does not apply to you.
If you're in a Boston suburb, or other affluent area - you bet it does.

Last edited:
Keep in mind if neighbors know you have food it's only a matter of time before they get enough desperate people together to attempt to take it from you with force.

Well I finally took the plunge this week. Ordered and received some #10 cans of Mountain House on sale (thanks for the tip Clampett). Had to get some of the more expensive stuff since my wife is a non-red meat-chicken eater (e.g., seafood chowder). Also received my 5 gal buckets and mylar bags with 02 absorbers from Amazon, and started loading them up with beans, rice and angel hair pasta. Got one filled and two more to go. I stuck the 02 absorbers that I didn't use in a mylar bag of their own and tried to get as much air out of them as I could so I can use them when I load more buckets.

I loaded the buckets with various things, instead of having an entire 5 gal bucket with the same thing in it. It's only me and the wife at the top of the mountain and I figured in an emergency we would want to open one bucket at at time and have a variety in there, instead of having to open an entire bucket of beans, a bucket of rice, and a bucket of pasta. I thought about sticking some salt, pepper and hot sauce in there too but decided to just keep that stuff on the shelf.

I'm very new to this so any input is appreciated.

Keep in mind if neighbors know you have food it's only a matter of time before they get enough desperate people together to attempt to take it from you with force.

Key words.

My kid's friends joke that they're coming to our house when the zombie apocalypse hits. That's only because they know we have a metal storage cabinet pantry in the basement, loaded with a rotation of extra everything that we normally cycle through. It comes in, gets dated and put to the back of the row for that item. FIFO. Learned that from my dad decades ago. That and a freezer full of meats and things.

What their friends have no idea about are the tubs of assorted rice, beans and other goodies in mylar with O2 absorbers, or the #10 Mountain House and Saratoga, or the stored treated water. Blizzards, ice storms, week long power outages... I don't even break a sweat. I just look at them as "practice". Paranoid, who me? Who said that? You talking to me? What, no I didn't hear that. Did you?

[tinfoil]

FYI, For anyone shopping around I'm a fan of the Ready Store, especially during sales.

Last edited:
Well I finally took the plunge this week. Ordered and received some #10 cans of Mountain House on sale (thanks for the tip Clampett). Had to get some of the more expensive stuff since my wife is a non-red meat-chicken eater (e.g., seafood chowder). Also received my 5 gal buckets and mylar bags with 02 absorbers from Amazon, and started loading them up with beans, rice and angel hair pasta. Got one filled and two more to go. I stuck the 02 absorbers that I didn't use in a mylar bag of their own and tried to get as much air out of them as I could so I can use them when I load more buckets.

I loaded the buckets with various things, instead of having an entire 5 gal bucket with the same thing in it. .

Get smaller Mylar bags so you can only open up what you are going to eat in the next week or so. Seal a bunch and Mark what's inside with a sharpie.

For storing O2 absorbers, I throw them in a mason jar. I have had a bunch stored for a few years and they are still good according to that colored pill thing that shows if any O2 is present

I'm very new to this so any input is appreciated.

Check out: www.survivalistboards.com
lots of good prepping info

Back
Top Bottom