• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ed Davis on NECN - Don't interfere just call 911

Chet Curtis asked Ed Davis if he thought that it was right that the head of the Guardian Angels said he would intervene and stop a man sexually assaulting a woman and call police. Ed Davis said that you should not interfere, you should call 911.

I can't imagine myself just standing there describing a rape in progress to a dispatcher while a woman is screaming for help.

Hope his wife is never beaten and raped while someone describes it to a 911 dispatcher.
I know if it was me I would be forced to use .40 cal intervention while waiting for the proper authorities to arrive.

Chet Curtis asked Ed Davis if he thought that it was right that the head of the Guardian Angels said he would intervene and stop a man sexually assaulting a woman and call police. Ed Davis said that you should not interfere, you should call 911.

I can't imagine myself just standing there describing a rape in progress to a dispatcher while a woman is screaming for help.

Although one needs to be very careful about inserting themselves into the problems of other people, the mentality of "nobody not in government employment is allowed to resist" can have devastating consequences. Just look at the apparent lack of resistance on 3 of the 4 9/11 planes.

Ed Davis sounds like a puke of the highest order. "No, don't get involved
when someone is raping your neighbor... if people did that enough times it would
reduce the justification for our existence. "

I'm all for being cautious, too..... but there are definitely times where public
intervention is a good thing.

-Mike

Interesting,the cops are ALWAYS asking for help for info on "X" but they don't want your help in preventing crime. BTW I quite certain that Davis' wife has little to worry about in the crime victim department,they most likely live in a very nice suburb with plenty of police for security unlike us poor peons.
I wonder if there are stats on the effectiveness of neighborhood watch groups?

Ever know a police officers significant other to not have a gun for self defense??? Man or woman?

Not every LEO is "switched on" WRT the usefulness of a firearm.. and that
especially would not transpose over to an appointed political hack in a
big city like Boston.

Many LEOs don't even carry off duty, never mind encouraging their
spouse to get a gun!

-Mike

Ever know a police officers significant other to not have a gun for self defense??? Man or woman?

I worked PT for a smallish PD for 17 years. Only 1 officer carried 24/7, another part of the time (he also owned a gun shop and was a firearms instructor, we used to shoot together every Sunday morning). NONE of the other 24 officers carried off-duty. NONE of the spouses carried and I'll bet only 1 or 2 even had a permit.

Today I know a lot more LEOs out there and I only know less than a handful that carry off duty!

Most treat a gun like a pen . . . necessary to do their job, wished they didn't have to carry it around, etc. Most only shoot 1-2x/year when mandated by their PD.

Your premise might be true in TX, but it certainly isn't in New England.

I do not know one police officer who wishes they didn't have to carry a firearm.
I even know Britt PCs who wish they could carry.

Not to say I agree with the idea of not helping someone in trouble, but the cynic in me says that you would almost certainly end up cuffed and stuffed, taking out a second mortgage to pay for your criminal defense as well as the civil suit from the scumbag's family, plus, if the victim turns out to be a scumbag too, some lawyer will probably find a way to sue you on her behalf. Maybe I've just lived here too long. I like to think these things wouldn't be going through my mind if I saw a stranger in trouble.

Many LEOs don't even carry off duty, never mind encouraging their
spouse to get a gun!

-Mike

An LEO friend of mine was asking about selling / trading his current Sig for a compact Glock to go along with his duty weapon. My suggestion was for him to just keep the Sig and buy the Glock (of course). He asked why he'd need another firearm, and I asked "well, what about your wife?"

His general attitude was that if he was armed, his wife didn't need to be. He thinks I'm kind of paranoid that both me and my spouse are armed and even asked why. I gave the following examples "what if I'm away", "what if she's unable to get to my side of the room for my gun", and "what if the bad guy wins the fight with me"? I think I've got him thinking a little, not much - but a start.

I do not know one police officer who wishes they didn't have to carry a firearm.
I even know Britt PCs who wish they could carry.

Jon, I'm glad that this is the case with you.

However, let me start by introducing you to my Chief one day, then we can go from there! [rolleyes]

Many I knew and worked with hated carrying a gun. One was Sgt, Lt. and later Chief and over the ~!5 years I knew him, only once did he ever carry a gun. [thinking] [rolleyes]

Back
Top Bottom