DVD Review: Thunder Ranch Firearms Training Videos

Clint Smith is the owner and instructor at Thunder Ranch, a firearms instructional school in Lakeview, OR. I think I first heard about their DVD collection in a magazine. In December 2008 they had (7) instructional videos produced and I took them up on their holiday offer. One by one I watched them, usually on the train during my commute. I used my portable Sony DVD player and a notepad to take notes as I watched. This is a massive collection of firearms instruction with DVD titles ranging from:

* Defensive Thinking
* Defensive Firearms
* Defensive Handgun
* Defensive Tactics
* Defensive Shotgun
* Urban Rifle
* Defensive Revolver (haven't watched since I don't own one)

Each collection consists of a 2-disc set: disc 1 is the "lecture" while disc 2 is the "range". There is some repetition/duplication of content throughout the series: on some DVD collections disc 1 (lecture) was identical (not unique) and he does repeat several themes throughout the series. My favorite collections were Defensive Thinking and Defensive Handgun.

There is so much good advice on each set that I could write a blog entry on each one. Instead, I'll try and highlight some of the common themes and threads:

* The school's ideology is to make people smart enough so that they don't have to shoot and can apply logic in all situations
* Handgun size and quantity of ammo are important: "You'll only be in the fight as long as you have ammunition." "Most fights are won by the last round fired."
* Backups are key: "One is none, two is one, three probably winds up being better"
* "Keep shooting until you get the compliance you're looking for"
* Maximize your distance to the threat and minimize yourself as a target
* "The primary reason for going to cover is to look for better cover"
* "60% of all fights are in low, altered or failing light"
* "In a fight you'll do what you did in training - except worse. Your level of skill won't rise to the occasion." Therefore, train hard.
* "There's a lawyer attached to every bullet. The legal system will hold you accountable for your actions."
* "The best example of good training is never having to use it."

One thing to note is that Clint is a fast talker...I found myself rewinding and relistening to the DVDs a lot (especially since I wanted to take accurate notes). Highlighted on the DVDs are various "Clintisms", frequent sayings from the instructor (some of which are quoted above). The series instructional-wise is beginner-to-intermediate.

The reality is that no matter how experienced you are or how long you've been shooting for there is always something to learn (or un-learn). While attending Thunder Ranch would be incredible it's nice to have the school's essential teachings in a reusable format to watch anytime I need a refresher. Like with any instructor or school everyone has a slightly different take on things and the student can decide what lessons best apply to him/her. Overall I enjoyed the series and would recommend them to anyone who wants to learn how to shoot better and survive a gunfight in their home.

Back
Top Bottom