DURACOAT Nightmare!

Not going to bash the company or their product.... Just mother nature and the state of AZ and its FREAKING wind!!! Tried to clean up some guns today stripped the snot outta them sanded them lightly.... took em outside. Looks like a 5yr old with black spraypaint got to em... sigh... Paint is thick in some spots, the box and wires i had held them in actually blew over... very frustrated. Well I guess I got the base coat down now... [laugh] They need to be resanded roughed up thinned out the runny and thick spots and resprayed INSIDE course not sure where in this freaking ranch house I can do that... Stuff is a strong smell the fumes would never get out of my room... [thinking] Anyone have good luck with this stuff?? I really think I have to "dust" the pieces in like 3-5 passes so that I get no runs. Cheap hairdryer may be essential now... I know I can do this! [angry2] Pics to be posted when I am satisfied with the results.... Just thought I would vent. Its a 92 and a RIA .45 I am redoing Frames, slides and Barrels.

I did mine in the garage, but yes, I was frustrated too. I am not a painter and it shows. I expect that it is something that gets easier with time and experience.

yeah...

well the way I see it... Got a good thick base coat now! [laugh] In retrospect its not that bad and well kind of a well what the hell did you expect! Windy and not enough controlled variables. We do have a basement like thing... will redo them in there after I clean them up a bit... and hopefully they will turn out better on round two. Light dusting, set with dryer.... repeat. Patience is not a strong suit sadly but for this it has to be...

Just like pretty much anything else, you should be holding it a good distance away from the item you're painting, and 'dust' it in controlled, even sweeps. If you're getting build up and runs, you're too close.

Just like pretty much anything else, you should be holding it a good distance away from the item you're painting, and 'dust' it in controlled, even sweeps. If you're getting build up and runs, you're too close.

+1

Light coat, repeat.

Clean up...

Ok so a Gallon of Acetone 2 hours soaking and 2+hours scrubbing....
I have really really really Bare dry guns!!! So ok, Light gentle passes, now can I Paint one side let it dry (more or less) then paint the other or does the whole thing need to be done at one time? Or is this were creative wire hanging comes into play? Fishing line etc... Really wanna get them good and in one go, mostly I am thinking of doing the quick pass and quick set I saw on a brownells video. The guy had a hair dryer and used it to do a quick set on the piece. Any one do this before... Also... can acetone compromise anything? Aluminum steel springs... things like that? Prolly shoulda checked first.... [rolleyes]

You can try to "warm" the peice with the hairdryer prior to painting. Keep moving and keep it wet while coating. Careful of fumes with hairdryer in enclosed area. If you heat to much you can bliste the paint easily.
Good luck and post pics please

Back
Top Bottom