Sticky Browning Cynergy Plastic Stock - Duracoat Settlement experience?

rep308

NES Member
About 14 years ago I bought a Browning Cynergy Sporter with synthetic stock and the gun performed well. It has been sitting in the back of my temperature and humidity controlled safe for the past five years untouched. I pulled it out a couple of weeks ago to go on a bird hunt and found the stock was "sticky". The plastic has a layer of goo on it that doesn't clean off. Searching for "Sticky Browning Cynergy Stock", shows this class action settlement:

Has anyone gone through this process? I'm just looking for some help prior to filling out the forms. I spent about $2K for the shotgun and finish-wise it looks damn near 98% except for the damn sticky stock. Any advice from the Brain Trust here?

Last edited:
Not sure why it happens but some of the plastic toys in my attic were like that. I read that coconut oil would fix it but after getting the oil, the toys ended up in the trash.

Is it plastic with a rubberized finish on it? Rubber can turn to goo over time
This is probably exactly what happened. It's common to apply so-called "soft touch" finishes to plastic parts to give them a more premium feel. Unfortunately, this coating eventually degrades. The only solution is to resurface the part.

This means either designing it right from the beginning, with a rubberized comolding process, or stripping the coating off and reapplying it.

@rep308 I don't have any specific experience with the Browning program, but it looks like your only option is to submit to the process. It seems like they're trying (being made?) to make it right, even if it's at the end of a settlement process and only when you initiate it.

It stinks to have to go through this, but the settlement order says that they have to send to a prepaid shipping label once you give them your info. So at least there's no cost to you except time.

This is probably exactly what happened. It's common to apply so-called "soft touch" finishes to plastic parts to give them a more premium feel. Unfortunately, this coating eventually degrades. The only solution is to resurface the part.

This means either designing it right from the beginning, with a rubberized comolding process, or stripping the coating off and reapplying it.

@rep308 I don't have any specific experience with the Browning program, but it looks like your only option is to submit to the process. It seems like they're trying (being made?) to make it right, even if it's at the end of a settlement process and only when you initiate it.

It stinks to have to go through this, but the settlement order says that they have to send to a prepaid shipping label once you give them your info. So at least there's no cost to you except time.
This. Just do it. See what happens.

I don't have any advice for OP, but I keep this in mind whenever I buy tools with rubberized grips. I've had too many good tools go to shit because the grip ends up disintegrating.

Not sure why it happens but some of the plastic toys in my attic were like that. I read that coconut oil would fix it but after getting the oil, the toys ended up in the trash.
I've had some success with a product called GooGone. Works well taking sticky resins, gummy, glue off of surfaces

Back
Top Bottom