• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dumb Laws in Massachusetts

So I was lying in bed this morning thinking about how stupid MA gun laws are, such as mag restrictions, collapsible stocks, the compliant handgun list (need I continue?) And it got me thinking in a liberal state like Mass there must be other stupid laws on the books that had nothing to do with firearms, so here's some that I found:

It is illegal to give beer to hospital patients.

Candy may not contain more than 1% of alcohol.

Shooting ranges may not set up targets that resemble human beings.

Children may smoke, but they may not purchase cigarettes.

At a wake, mourners may eat no more than three sandwiches.

Tomatoes may not be used in the production of clam chowder.

Snoring is prohibited unless all bedroom windows are closed and securely locked.

Quakers and witches are banned.

An old ordinance declares goatees illegal unless you first pay a special license fee for the privilege of wearing one in public.

Bullets may not be used as currency.

Taxi drivers are prohibited from making love in the front seat of their taxi during their shifts.

All men must carry a rifle to church on Sunday.

Alcoholic drink specials are illegal.

Hunting on Sundays is prohibited.

Public boxing matches are outlawed.

It is illegal to go to bed without first having a full bath.

A woman can not be on top in sexual activities.

No gorilla is allowed in the back seat of any car.

Duels to the death permitted on the common on Sundays provided that the Governor is present.

This last one was my favorite...You can find these and a few more pertaining to specific towns here http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states/massachusetts?page=40

Happy New Year everybody! Be safe

Last edited:
AWB, for one.

This one would be interesting: Duels to the death permitted on the common on Sundays provided that the Governor is present

Last edited:
If a sitting senator leaves office, the governor may or may not appoint a replacement, depending on his party affiliation. [smile]

I'm guilty of the first one. I was visiting someone at the VA and there was an old man in the other bed and you could tell he was on his way out, he asked if i could bring him a beer so on my next visit I brought one with me. He was pretty happy. It might have been a terrible thing to do but I did it.

Looks like I can add a few to my civil disobedience to-do list. [laugh]

What??? No tomato in chowder is only a Mass law? Where are the Feds when they can actually pass a useful law...

I'm guilty of the first one. I was visiting someone at the VA and there was an old man in the other bed and you could tell he was on his way out, he asked if i could bring him a beer so on my next visit I brought one with me. He was pretty happy. It might have been a terrible thing to do but I did it.

I gave my 94 yr old grandfather a smoke in his hospital room, he smoked it in the bathroom and caught hell for it, he really didn't give 2 ****s

- - - Updated - - -

Goes to show bans do not work in MA!

I see what you did there. good one

Only if the club in question has an LTC. We've been over this one before.

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131

"The colonel of state police may, after an investigation, grant a Class A license to a club or facility with an on-site shooting range or gallery, which club is incorporated under the laws of the commonwealth for the possession, storage and use of large capacity weapons, ammunition therefor and large capacity feeding devices for use with such weapons on the premises of such club; provided, however, that not less than one shareholder of such club shall be qualified and suitable to be issued such license; and provided further, that such large capacity weapons and ammunition feeding devices may be used under such Class A club license only by such members that possess a valid firearm identification card issued under section 129B or a valid Class A or Class B license to carry firearms, or by such other persons that the club permits while under the direct supervision of a certified firearms safety instructor or club member who, in the case of a large capacity firearm, possesses a valid Class A license to carry firearms or, in the case of a large capacity rifle or shotgun, possesses a valid Class A or Class B license to carry firearms. Such club shall not permit shooting at targets that depict human figures, human effigies, human silhouettes or any human images thereof, except by public safety personnel performing in line with their official duties"

you did the right thing.

not this shit again...

In my town theres a group of witches that hunt gorillas in cars on sunday, with fully automatic weapons, while enjoying 3% alcoholic candies.

This is proof that there are too many laws that were developed by, and only relevant to, the Puritans. No hunting on Sundays was made law simply to get more people to go to the church. And now there are many different beliefs and religions. And not all of them need to be in churck either. Im a Christian, and I dont go to church. If I need to clear my mind, or be at peace spiritually or mentally Im not going to church...Im going to a duck blind, or treestand, or anywhere else in the woods at 6am...

Unfortunately the tree hugging hippies and liberals will never give us hunting on sundays... they've come up with every excuse under the sun to not hunt on sundays. "Well the hikers need a day that they can feel safe in the woods". To which I say, "Bullshit, if I can be a responsible hunter, by wearing orange when required, and identifying my target and WHATS BEYOND IT, the these fearful hikers should be required to wear blaze orange during the seasons that would require hunters to wear it.

/rant

Shooting ranges may not set up targets that resemble human beings.
Including an inaccuracy like this brings the entire list into question.

That being said, it would explain why beer was not on the menu when I was in the hospital.

Please excuse me while I go inject extra rum into the chocolate candies someone gave us for Christmas. We will drive to MA and eat them there, maybe even pass them out to children.

Please excuse me while I go inject extra rum into the chocolate candies someone gave us for Christmas. We will drive to MA and eat them there, maybe even pass them out to children.
"Sir! What are you doing with those illegal alcoholic chocolates!?"
"They're for the children!"

[rofl]

Long guns required to cross boston common for fear of bears.

All states have dumb laws. It has to do with the time in which they were written. Also liberalism has very little to do with many laws listed. As a matter of fact, most of the laws governing sex and alcohol have to do with old school religious conservatives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never knew that taxi drivers were getting so much while on the meter that it had to be outlawed. [smile]

And have you ever seen a good looking taxi driver? Me neither. I'm not sure what their secret is.

as matter of fact, most of the laws governing sex and alcohol have to do with old school religious conservatives.

The only difference between liberals and conservatives is which aspect of you life the feel they have the right to control.

We still have many theologically based laws on the books - for example, restrictions on alcohol sales during traditional church hours.

The only difference between liberals and conservatives is which aspect of you life the feel they have the right to control.

We still have many theologically based laws on the books - for example, restrictions on alcohol sales during traditional church hours.

Very true. Both are not truly free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom