"Duh" moment after getting pulled over...

So I got pulled over by the State Police on Sunday. Cop walks up to my car slowly, taking his time to shine his flashlight around the car and check everything out. I haven't moved since I pulled over, and my hands are visible on the wheel at 10 and 2. He leans through the window, and the FIRST thing he asks (even before he asks for license or registration) is:

"Sir, do you have any weapons in the car? Any firearms?"

I'm more than a little bit surprised, and I probably mumbled "um" more than once as I went through a mental inventory of my car to determine if I did, in fact, have any firearms in the car. I couldn't come up with anything besides a box of .357 ammo in the trunk, so I said no. But I was baffled as to why he asked - I've NEVER been asked this question before. I'm wondering if, in the time it took for him to pull me over, he was able to link my registration to my license to my LTC…

He must have noticed my confusion, because while he's looking at my license and registration, he says, "Sir, you're wearing a Smith and Wesson t-shirt. That’s why I asked about the firearms."

Duh…

why do i carry a B25?

because a policeman is too heavy! [laugh]

No, because a B29 "prints" when I carry it!

Yep, I'm pretty much expecting that question first the next time I get pulled over. I have a GOAL sticker on my car.

Probably not. I don't think GOAL is all that well known outside of the membership. An NRA sticker maybe.

I got pulled over on my motorcyce and the cop said, "Do you have any weapons on you?" I said, "No". He said, "You're wearing a bushmaster teeshirt." I said, "I know".

He must have noticed my confusion, because while he's looking at my license and registration, he says, "Sir, you're wearing a Smith and Wesson t-shirt. That’s why I asked about the firearms."

Duh…

So much more satisfying than the punchlines to the last few threads on getting pulled over while carrying... [rofl][rofl][rofl]

I got pulled over on my motorcyce and the cop said, "Do you have any weapons on you?" I said, "No". He said, "You're wearing a bushmaster teeshirt." I said, "I know".

Yea because there's just so many places you can hide a long gun while on a bike it's an obvious question.

Ive driven in a couple of different police cruisers (no, I wasnt in the back seat, it was to further my knowledge about policing!) and have asked the officers about licenses to carry and interacting with someone who has one. One way they can tell is that when they enter your information into the computer, they can click the tab on the computer that says "Other licensing" or something to that affect and see if you have a license to carry. Im pursuing a career in LE, and from sitting in all the lectures, videos, and ride alongs I can tell you, it would be nice to know if the person I just stopped has a license or not to carry a gun, for my safety

So I got pulled over by the State Police on Sunday. Cop walks up to my car slowly, taking his time to shine his flashlight around the car and check everything out. I haven't moved since I pulled over, and my hands are visible on the wheel at 10 and 2. He leans through the window, and the FIRST thing he asks (even before he asks for license or registration) is:

"Sir, do you have any weapons in the car? Any firearms?"

I'm more than a little bit surprised, and I probably mumbled "um" more than once as I went through a mental inventory of my car to determine if I did, in fact, have any firearms in the car. I couldn't come up with anything besides a box of .357 ammo in the trunk, so I said no. But I was baffled as to why he asked - I've NEVER been asked this question before. I'm wondering if, in the time it took for him to pull me over, he was able to link my registration to my license to my LTC…

Duh…

It'd be more impressive if he could tell that you were wearing the Smith and Wesson thong as well

Ive driven in a couple of different police cruisers (no, I wasnt in the back seat, it was to further my knowledge about policing!) and have asked the officers about licenses to carry and interacting with someone who has one. One way they can tell is that when they enter your information into the computer, they can click the tab on the computer that says "Other licensing" or something to that affect and see if you have a license to carry. Im pursuing a career in LE, and from sitting in all the lectures, videos, and ride alongs I can tell you, it would be nice to know if the person I just stopped has a license or not to carry a gun, for my safety

If they have an LTC, then statistically, your safety is the least at risk. Keep that in mind in the future.

Why? Do you think that law abiding citizens who are lawfully carrying a weapon are a threat to you? If so, you're going into the wrong line of work. It's the guys who aren't licensed and carry illegally that are the threat. The computer isn't going to tell you about them.

I can tell you, it would be nice to know if the person I just stopped has a license or not to carry a gun, for my safety
WTF difference does it make if the guy has a license to carry or not?

Ever heard of people with a license who are not carrying 24/7?

Ever heard of people carrying without a license?

Whether someone has or doesn't have a license to carry doesn't mean shit to your safety.

Evidently your critical thinking skills suck.

so, if I wear a tshirt with a guitar on it, I automatically have one in the car? same for a shirt with a car on it? wtf? stupid people using stupid logic.....

Im pursuing a career in LE, and from sitting in all the lectures, videos, and ride alongs I can tell you, it would be nice to know if the person I just stopped has a license or not to carry a gun, for my safety

Really?

I would have thought knowing if s/he actually had a gun on them would be far more useful knowledge than merely whether or not they had a license.

and you are the reason people hate cops.

By that rationale, be advised that all men are rapists......

during a traffic stop your not going to get LTC info unless you really go above and beyond to look it up.

It is not as simple as an "other licensing" tab, at least in the computer systems I am aware of (admittedly only a few)

I'm not concerned with someone asking me. The concern I have is how they treat me in general. If someone just asks the question, I give an honest answer, and produce my permit then I don't see an issue. If the guy draws his weapon or asks me to exit the vehicle, then I have an issue.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that's an annoying statement and not inline with what most of my LEO friends and acquaintances tell me.

Why? Do you think that law abiding citizens who are lawfully carrying a weapon are a threat to you? If so, you're going into the wrong line of work. It's the guys who aren't licensed and carry illegally that are the threat. The computer isn't going to tell you about them.

WTF difference does it make if the guy has a license to carry or not?

Ever heard of people with a license who are not carrying 24/7?

Ever heard of people carrying without a license?

Whether someone has or doesn't have a license to carry doesn't mean shit to your safety.

Evidently your critical thinking skills suck.

Really?

I would have thought knowing if s/he actually had a gun on them would be far more useful knowledge than merely whether or not they had a license.

These quotes pretty much sum it up!!

Last edited:
Im pursuing a career in LE, and from sitting in all the lectures, videos, and ride alongs I can tell you, it would be nice to know if the person I just stopped has a license or not to carry a gun, for my safety
Statistically speaking, I'd bet the chances of someone without an LTC attempting to use a firearm against an officer in a traffic stop are much greater than the chances that someone with an LTC - who obviously has kept a violence free record for their entire life - will suddenly decide to give up the law abiding citizen routine.

Sorry to not have specified by what I meant. I was at work and didnt have time to type out my explanation. I meant to put it under more of a specific example. Yes, I do agree with what some of you said about the people who have the licenses should be the least of officers concerns. In my head I had more of the idea of: an officer pulls over a suspected drunk driver. The driver just came from a domestic assault with his wife and is belligerent (sp?). I would think it would be good to know if this man does have his license to carry or not. Sure, if he does, what difference would it make.

But, I still would like to know. I do agree that most people who have their license to carry are the least of concern. I apologize if I annoyed any of you by my statement. I had certain situations running through my head...not just a simple traffic stop like I said, and shouldn't have said.

Im not sure what program both of the officers I was with were using, however, I do know for a fact how easy it was to pull up someones "other" information. I was there, one of them looked up my information pretty quickly.

I agree, what I said WOULD have pissed me off too, I apologize, I didnt mean to offend. I'll make sure I have the time to write out what exactly I meant next time. So yea, looking back what I said I realize how stupid I was. Woops! Sorry! Move on

Last edited:

ohhhh...grasshopper....[rolleyes][rolleyes]

Back
Top Bottom