"Duh" moment after getting pulled over...

Len, that I understand. I must have missed why he was pulled over in the first place. All I saw was:

According to the cop, there's some glitch in the RMV database which makes it look like my license has been suspended when they run my plates. I handed him my (perfectly valid) license, he ran it, it came back clean, and I was on my way.

He would have had to run the plates BEFORE he decided to pull him over, to find out that he needed to pull him over.

That's what prompted my question.

A cop I know (part timer) says he runs as many plates as he can while on duty in the hope of getting something to pull the car over for.

Legal? I don't know, cops are on the bottom of the list of who I ask legal advice from, right down there with gun shop owners.

Well, it's not just the cops and dealers. The laws, codes, regulations, lists, etc. are so complicated in this state even an ATF agent based in Boston didn't know some of the actual laws. That's why I support H.2259.....it simplifies the laws.

A cop I know (part timer) says he runs as many plates as he can while on duty in the hope of getting something to pull the car over for.

Legal? I don't know, cops are on the bottom of the list of who I ask legal advice from, right down there with gun shop owners.

IIRC there is legal precident that says that officers can run any plate at any time for any reason.

In Boston and some of the nearby towns they've equipped cop cars with cameras mounted on the hood and trunk that automatically scan and run the plates of every car they drive past. All the cop has to do is drive around and wait for the computer to send up a red flag. I've even seen them on DOT vehicles. Scary stuff...

In Boston and some of the nearby towns they've equipped cop cars with cameras mounted on the hood and trunk that automatically scan and run the plates of every car they drive past. All the cop has to do is drive around and wait for the computer to send up a red flag. I've even seen them on DOT vehicles. Scary stuff...

would the DOT ones be looking for commerical trucking, etc?

How is it scary? If you don't have a warrant or didn't let your registration expire you have nothing to worry about.

Really? You must have a lot of trust in our Gubmint.

It's scary for the same reasons why gun registration is wrong. On the surface it is touted as a tool to fight crime... but in a blink of an eye, with a change of a law or two... and suddenly it becomes a tool used to control every law abiding citizen.

Really? You must have a lot of trust in our Gubmint.

It's scary for the same reasons why gun registration is wrong. On the surface it is touted as a tool to fight crime... but in a blink of an eye, with a change of a law or two... and suddenly it becomes a tool used to control every law abiding citizen.

It's the "change a law or two" part that is the heart of the paranoia. Every time I read a thread with the title" Can I drive through (XXX) with a gun in my car"? I think to myself, sure you can if you don't exceed the speed limit, have a car with defective safety equipment or an expired tag. In 40+ years of driving, I have never been pulled over by an LEO for no reason. Never. I know several cops, they are all different in their personality, but none of them enjoy hassling someone who has done nothing wrong. Now if you cross that line some of them will jump a little to hard, but don't cross the line and they could care less what you do. Just my .02

I'm not understanding what your post has to do with what I said... or what Ryan was saying [grin]

Skeet, I'm in the same boat as you about not being pulled over by an LEO for a long time. However, I can also see thing going down a bad road. What is that computer started cross checking your LTC, taxes, etc.? How about they tie it in with political party affiliation and other information? At what point does it become an illegal search? If you tied in all the systems and information, I could see someone coming up with a reason to pull you over. I just think officers should stick with running your information when the situation warrants it.

State police as well as many local PDs(but not all) have all this info on the fly. Before the officer is out of his cruiser walking up to your window, he/she already knows if the registered owner of the vehicle they have stopped has a fire arms lic. They will assume until the drivers ID/ license is in his hand that the registered owner of the vehicle is the one behind the wheel.

what program are they running that shows FID/LTC info?

Again I could be wrong, but I have never heard of a program that will show that info when a plate is run.

Not to be an a party pooper, but most of the time people in the whole country are pulled over from the front and no all the states have front and back tags, so I don’t see how the officer can have your info before he/she/they pull you over.

Ish.

In 1974 we didn't have computers in cruisers. The only way we could "run" anything was to plead/beg via radio call with the poor guy sitting at the desk that shift to labor/wrestle with the teletype (no joy there...punch tape...no backspace or erase...no mistakes allowed or you had to start over). Heck, LTC info wasn't in any systems at all in those days. Knowing whether or not someone had an LTC didn't mean Jack back then. I can't believe it means much more than Squat these days. This isn't even a "nice to know" vs. a "need to know" thing. I worry about some of the youngsters coming on the job these days...not able to use common sense to think their way through much of anything. Too dependant on an information appliance giving them all the answers. Not all are like that, but just as there were some like that 35 years ago, there are some like that today (maybe more). Its the result of Moon-battery leaking into the Dept. of Public Safety I guess. It leaches into everything.

So can we put this run plate and link to LTC horsesh*t to bed already?

Not to be an a party pooper, but most of the time people in the whole country are pulled over from the front and no all the states have front and back tags, so I don’t see how the officer can have your info before he/she/they pull you over.

Ish.

huh?

Ish.

Yeah, cops NEVER turn around to get behind you and light you up.....[rolleyes]

Are you drunk or something?

Yeah, cops NEVER turn around to get behind you and light you up.....[rolleyes]

Are you drunk or something?

I am drunk reading your comment, that’s for sure. Are you a cop? NO, so what the heck you know anyways. Ah!! Wait, you are an “NRA Master classification card in Long Range (800-1000 yards)” so I guess you could read the tags way before anyone else [rofl]

Calm down mister, I just said that most of the times we are pulled over with an officer in front of us and right away they come to you. Anyway why bather.......

Ish.

I am drunk reading your comment, that’s for sure. Are you a cop? NO, so what the heck you know anyways. Ah!! Wait, you are an “NRA Master classification card in Long Range (800-1000 yards)” so I guess you could read the tags way before anyone else [rofl]

Calm down mister, I just said that most of the times we are pulled over with an officer in front of us and right away they come to you. Anyway why bather.......

Ish.

Have you ever been on a shift long ride along? I have, on several. Nothing like first hand observation of how cops do their jobs.

Ish.

how do you get pulled over from the front?

Have you ever been on a shift long ride along? I have, on several. Nothing like first hand observation of how cops do their jobs.

Good for you. Now, tell me when you are going to pay me a beer and talk about Jose vs Ish. No worries, I will pay the second round.

Ish.

you don't know what you're talking about on this one.

stick to kicking the stuffing out of gangbangers who tried to shoot you at a range, then accosted you in the parking lot, but were unarmed so you couldn't draw on them, and you had to resort to your martial arts skills.

????

Very easily at least down here in FL. The officer is with a radar and they just pull you over 20 seconds later in front of you. I believe that happens all over the world though…

Not in my part of it. The only circumstances I was "pulled over in front" was by staties shooting radar and running out into traffic on the Mass Pike to point to the offending vehicle ([shocked]).

All other times, the cruiser came up behind me.

Just saw one of those in Manchester, NH. It had what looked like video cameras on each front fender.

When I took my motorcycle to Loudon last year, there was an outfit that would track your lap times from an RFID on your helmet. Which means that if someone put one of the 10 cent stickers on your car they could track anytime you passed a sensor.

Or you could just buy a SPOT GPS unit and track yourself yourself....

Back
Top Bottom