Dry firing a revolver?

I was told after buying my 1911 that it was OK to dry fire.

Now, I Just got a S&W 642. Seeing the action of a revolver is obviously totally different.. is it a bad idea to dry fire?

Please explain why or why not.

I'd read my manufactures manual and see what it says about the topic. Some manufactures seem to say it's ok while others say it's not.

Dry fire away....because S&W says so!!

S&W FAQ

The reason 22's are on S&W's don't dry fire list is that the firing pin on a rimfire may hit the edge of the chamber, damaging the firing pin and chamber. With any center fire (like your new 38) the firing pin will just hit air.

Congratulations on your new acquisition - 642s are nice little carry pistols.

The only guns that I don't dry fire (without a snap cap) are rimfires. All of my centerfire revolvers have been dryfired for years. Like EddieCoyle says, snap away. [grin]

Thanks for the responses :)...

knuckle dragger, Love your avatar haha.. I have that movie on DVD...Good stuff!

+1 When I first got my 642 the trigger was a little stiff for me. I sat many a night watching TV just dry firing the heck out of it. It helped smooth out the action and it shoots much better now because of it.

Dry fire away.

I should try this with my 442. The trigger is so heavy, after pulling it a dozen times my finger muscles get worn out. Maybe if I use your method, two things will happen... the action will lighten up, and my trigger finger will Hulk out.

You can. Don't really need to on a S&W center-fire revolver.

I observe this is the first time someone (properly) qualified the advice to "center fire" S&W revolvers. I believe that dry firing rimfire S&Ws to be problematic, as you risk peening the rebated portion of the chambers.

I would get the action job. Sometimes parts are not square or mate up properly, causing binding and additional lbs in the trigger pull. Polishing and removing the high spots will drop the lbs without affecting reliability

I observe this is the first time someone (properly) qualified the advice to "center fire" S&W revolvers. I believe that dry firing rimfire S&Ws to be problematic, as you risk peening the rebated portion of the chambers.

Well, you're right, of course. All I (and S&W) said was to not dry fire 22s.

You can also have gunsmith do a trigger job on it. Cost is usually around $100.

Go for the trigger job. I've fired and dry-fired my 642 a fair amount and it was still a nasty trigger.

I just handed it off to Greg Derr for a trigger job. It's a LOT cheaper than $100!!

There should be absolutely no problem dry firing your S&W revolver. I would not dry fire a rim fire revolver. If I had a dollar for every time I dry fired a center fire S&W revolver (both with the old and new firing pin configuration) I'd be a multi-billionaire.

I have had firing pins break on me, most probably due to dry firing: Colt Python, Colt Detective Special, Ruger (yes the indestructable Rugers !) old model Vaquero, and P91. None of the above mentioned firearms broke the first time I dry fired, either. It took a while.

Actually, replacing a firing pin is not a big deal in the context of my experience. If you are apprehensive about dry firing, then I would suggest snap caps.

Mark L.

Actually, replacing a firing pin is not a big deal in the context of my experience. If you are apprehensive about dry firing, then I would suggest snap caps.

Mark L.

Good idea on using snap caps. They're cheap enough insurance. They'll take up some of the shock that the firing pin endures in its internal travel.

Bill

Yes Center fire OK. Not rimfire

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...talogId=10001&content=13012&sectionId=10504#2

Can I dry fire my S&W handgun?
Q: Can I dry fire my Smith & Wesson?

A: Yes, except for the .22 caliber pistols which includes models 22A, 22S, 422, 2206, 2214, 2213 and 41.

.22 caliber revolvers such as models 17, 43, 63, 317 and 617 also should not be dry fired.

Q: Why can't I dry fire my .22 pistol or revolver?

A: Dry firing a S&W .22 pistol or revolver will cause damage to the firing pin.

Last edited:
Dry fire - the cheapest practice you'll ever get. Just remember the three steps before dry firing:

#1 - check to be sure the gun is unloaded

#2 - check to be sure the gun is unloaded

#3 - check to be sure the gun is unloaded

The Colt King Cobra is one revolver you don't want to dry fire.

Why not?

Back
Top Bottom