Does anyone else have an extremely Liberal sibling?

I have an older brother that was well educated, unfortunately because he went to college he also thinks that your only as good as the school you went to. He starts almost every conversation with someone with "what school did you go to?" when he met my wife thats the first thing he asked and when she answered UMASS Amherst you could almost see him look down on her.

your a douche, end rant.

When I first moved to New England this is exactly the kind of people that friends warned me about.
But you know what's even worse than "what school did you go to"......"What church do you go to?" with a displeased sneer if you answer anything other than their church or their particular flavor of Christianity. "I'm an atheist" I always reply, with a smile on my face, "and I don't believe in God, just like I don't believe in Unicorns or other childish fairy tales", then walk away.

Ignore your brother but don't disown him, family is always family after all. Not that that means much anymore. In some families, it's better to not be a part of than it is to be. I have set concrete boundaries with my family, ask your brother if he knows what boundaries are? Perhaps he is not aware of how you feel, suggest reminding him. If he persists after that, then he is being a total dick and you can't be blamed for cutting him out of your life. Lots of liberals act the way your brother act; consider that liberalism is driven by emotionalism and not intellect. If he cared about you he would gain some perspective and stop harassing you. It doesn't sound like you have a good relationship to begin with, but as you can see, many others here also have troubled family ties.

Last edited:
Your brother just sounds like a huge piece of shit. I know plenty of liberals who are good people... like most of my family.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

As a college educated person, your brother was a dick before he went to college. It gives him an excuse to look down on others and feel vindicated. It's a trait that can express itself in about a million different ways.

Not sure what you can do, he needs to take a long look in to his own eyes in the mirror.

When I first moved to New England this is exactly the kind of people that friends warned me about.
But you know what's even worse than "what school did you go to"......"What church do you go to?" with a displeased sneer if you answer anything other than their church or their particular flavor of Christianity.

If someone starts off a conversation with "What college did you graduate from?" I reply with "I did a semester at University of Phoenix, then never went back, I'm pro gun, pro freedom and an agnostic; I dislike organized religions, and I think the two party system sucks. Your move."

It usually leads to some good discussions about topics that don't involve stupidity, since liberals(used mockingly, in this case) tend to just scoff and scurry back to the rest of the flock, while people with brain cells tend to stick around for intelligent discourse.

ETA: Liberals are not inherently bad, I have a couple friends who are extremely left leaning, but are intelligent enough to know that they will not change my mind any more than I will change theirs, and we stay away from subjects that we disagree strongly on. I use Liberals in the previous post in a disparaging manner, as I cannot think of a better term off the top of my head.

Last edited:
I have an older brother that was well educated, unfortunately because he went to college he also thinks that your only as good as the school you went to. He starts almost every conversation with someone with "what school did you go to?" when he met my wife thats the first thing he asked and when she answered UMASS Amherst you could almost see him look down on her.

Now i decided to not attend college and go straight into the army from highschool, a decision to him that was wrong and he never fails to let me know that.

He is also extremely anti-gun, and anti-war to the point he would gladly call a returning soldier a baby killer, war criminal etc.

When i came home from my first deployment we had a big family dinner and one of the first things out of his mouth to me was "so how are you doing with your PTSD?" thinking he was being nice I told him it was alright and it wasnt really an issue and he immediately started telling me if i hadnt gone to war or enlisted I wouldnt have any of that and I would be able to live a normal life.

When i got my LTC he decided it would be better if he didnt attend family outings that I would be at because he didnt want to be around someone with a gun, he also never misses a moment to harp on gun control and "common sense" gun laws that he KNOWS would benefit the nation. He starts every one of his anti gun speeches with " just imagine what the world would be like if there were never guns, think of all the kids that would have been saved." I always tell him there isnt any point in day dreaming about something that wouldnt happen, its a waste of time.

Today is my birthday and instead of Happy birthday post on my facebook he put a collage of kids faces that have been killed during OIF and OEF entitled "Their blood is on your hands"

your a douche, end rant.

No offense, but your brother is a douche of the greatest magnitude.

OP's brother is a toolbox.

I'm an only child, but some members of my extended family are right out of the moonbat playbook. One of my aunts has refused to speak to me or invite me to events at her house ever since I got my MG license. It's funny and sad at the same damn time.

BTW happy birthday OP!

Two things come to mind. First, your brother is in desperate need of a blanket party. Like the one in Full Metal Jacket. I think you wouldn't have any problem finding volunteers her to help out with the beating.

Second, the next time he starts with "Just imagine what the world would be like if" and at that point you cut in an say, "if you were dead?" and then state "Yup, I think about how happy I'd be if that were the case". If that doesn't give him pause, then nothing would.

Tell you what. Make me one of your friends on Facebook and I'll properly set him straight every time he says something like that on your page. Time to dump him as a friend, by the way.

There was a world without guns, Rome who raged war on almost everything, oh and don't forget the dark ages, people found some creative ways to kill each other before fun powder

Its not the school that turned him into a dick, he has probably always been a dick (whether you knew it or not). There are plenty of gun people that went to high-end universities, on this forum and in the local population, that don't think like him. Don't let him get in the way of your happiness or stop you from achieving your goals in life. Wash your hands of him.

Also Happy Birthday and thank you for your service.

I dont know my sisters politics. One is smart the other needs to be fixed. First thing first. My parents would not allow my siblings to talk to me that way, nor would they allow me to talk to my sisters like that. I have more respect for my mother in law who is a dyed in the wool democrat who at least admits that she is a democrat because she knows no better. She is very sharp witted but not the most informed. Her daughter is no longer a democrat and has her LTC.

There was a world without guns, Rome who raged war on almost everything, oh and don't forget the dark ages, people found some creative ways to kill each other before fun powder

Fantastic statement. I'll have to remember this.

To the OP. I'm sorry about your brother. Sounds like he's a douche canoe. And I hate saying that, but it's just uncalled for to post pix of dead kids on your FB and credit you with their deaths. It's libel, and if he weren't your brother, I'd say sue. But better to just ignore him.

Thanks for your service, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Happy Birthday to you! Give yourself a present by "un-friending" your older sibling on Facebook. It sounds like his jealousy, resentment and anger toward you stem from the day you were born. Let him drown in his own venom. Surround yourself with people who like and respect you.
You're a better man than he will ever be!
Best regards.

my sister is a hard core moonbat.

Oh - and to the OP. If someone ever openly displayed any kind of superiority complex or spoke down to my significant other I would punch them in the mouth - family or not. What's the saying - a liberal is a conservative who hasn't been mugged yet.?? I forget.

Oh - and I've fired people who went to better schools than I did because they were f*cking idiots.

Last edited:
Ugh. Do you still talk to her?

I'm the only one in my immediate family who never finished college. However, I don't care if anyone looks down on me because of it. I run a business and do just fine for myself. F*ck all the condescending pricks out there. So you went to some ivy league college?...

OH GOOOOOOOD FOR YOU. - YouTube

There's far too many people in the world that think that going to college is the be-all and end-all of their life. College is just "training" for leading your life. If you got into college and managed to graduate and get a degree - then congratulations - you just passed the training course. If you fail to use what was TAUGHT to you in college as a starting point and continue learning from there - then you really just wasted all the time and money you spent on college because in reality you didn't learn a damn thing.

If you can making it thru training but still can't do the job - you're not really doing it right - are you?

There is a difference between being very liberal, and being an *******.

- - - Updated - - -

There is a difference between being very liberal, and being an *******.

Back
Top Bottom