Does anyone else have an extremely Liberal sibling?

..... " just imagine what the world would be like if there were never guns, think of all the kids that would have been saved." I always tell him there isnt any point in day dreaming about something that wouldnt happen, its a waste of time.

I'm pretty sure Cain killed Abel by pre-gun methods, the World's first murder....as a matter of fact, your brother might be enlightened by all the pre-gun deaths in history. Then again, logic is not a part of such display. It probably won't be you or any family member that will enlighten him in his lifetime but let's just pray he will be enlightened someday. In the meantime, the personal cost of losing your brother is too high and I'm so sorry for your loss, truly.

Wishing you a happy birthday and the wisdom to handle it better than he is!!

I just want to point out his snobbery and politics aside... telling your veteran brother he is responsible for our war dead is just a whole other level of ****ed up. That crosses the line fron being an arrogant fool to being downright mean and uncaring.

As I said, I have very liberal parents... who were very supportive of my decision to enlist in the Marine Corps and were supportive during my deployment. They both went to Brown and got grad degrees from Columbia, and my mother has an additional masters from Harvard. These very liberal "educated" and wildly sucessful people still wouldnt pull the shit your brother did. The politics are really irrelevent at the point hes at.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

From the OP's description the picture that he painted of the brother is that he seems to think because he went to school it makes him a better person. And because he went to a good school - it makes him a better person still. Then he somehow came to associate his brother (the OP) with being responsible for all the killing and the war by the simple fact that he joined the military.

The truth of the matter is that it's people just like the "thinks he smarter than the rest of us" older brother who are responsible for the war. Whether it's all the peeing their pants 'civilians' who were scared shitless of dying in a terrorist attack - or all the smart ass Harvard / Yale / Georgetown types who populate Washington D.C. and use all their "smarts" to constantly think of ways to stick the US into situations it shouldn't be in - it was all the "smart guys" - who put us into those wars.

If I was the OP - I would educate myself a bit - and then shove that smart guy attitude right down his older brother's throat. You're right - to accuse the younger brother of being responsible for all the war dead is mean - and it's also stupid on it's face. It's not the grunts and low level military guys who are designing and implementing this shit, making policy, sending the military to war, writing all the news columns defending it - etc.

It's all the "smart guys".

My advice to the OP - is to beat him over the head with that fact.

" I'm not responsible for all the people killed over the last ten plus years - it's all the smart ass smart guys like you who are directly responsible and those deaths are directly on YOU and all the other half witted smart guys like you who are driving this country right down the crapper"

I just read this again.. (I imade the mistake of skimming through your post the first time) . and in reading it, I'm surprised you didn't tell us that you smashed his face in. If I was in your shoes and someone said that to me there are only two things I would have done:

A- issued a correction and punched him in the face;
or
B- recused myself and never spoke to him ever again.

That's the type of arrogance that makes me livid.

-Mike

The correct response would have been:

" you know............. people with PTSD have problems with anger control. They've been known to snap at a moment's notice. Combat veterans are the worst - we can get triggered by some of the extremely violent images we have in our heads - I'd be careful about pissing me off too badly"

Make sure you say it with an evil grin on your face..........

...and you have sister's here too....loving guns doesn't mean we love killing....another distinction for your brother to someday learn.

I've actually found that most of the people I've run across who have guns - are actually MORE against killing than the "average person on the street". Many of whom say stupid shit like " I couldn't have a gun - I'd probably kill somebody".

I mean seriously - NES has an ongoing thread now with all sorts of cat pictures and cat jokes.

I bet a lot of the people in that thread have some serious black killy rifles - the kind that makes hoplophobes pee their panties.

Just imagine if we lived in a world where people didn't kill each other, molest children, rape women, or steal from one another. That would be a wonderful world to live in.

What do guns have to do with anything?

Not really any siblings, but I work with a woman who is as far left as they come. She is a blind follower, and thinks Obama is a god. But she is completely clueless, its like talking to a brick wall. She was completely disgusted that the background checks did not pass. The she started bitching about the "gun show loophole". I asked her if she has ever been to a gun show, she says no. I said, you know they already have background checks and a waiting period in RI. Again, clueless. I said, "do you just believe everything they tell you?" She says, "yes why would they lie?" I really want to change shifts so I dont have to work with that kind of stupidity any more.

I've actually found that most of the people I've run across who have guns - are actually MORE against killing than the "average person on the street". Many of whom say stupid shit like " I couldn't have a gun - I'd probably kill somebody".

I mean seriously - NES has an ongoing thread now with all sorts of cat pictures and cat jokes.

I bet a lot of the people in that thread have some serious black killy rifles - the kind that makes hoplophobes pee their panties.

They make me wet my panties, but for different reasons... and I don't wear panties!

My brother is awesome!

As far as the college thing goes, I went to UMASS Boston. I get people looking down on me all the time. I was going to Colby, but in August before my freshman year, my dad came to me, and told me that we didn't have the $ to send me there. He proposed UMASS - he had gotten some information about the continuing education program, so I could take classes there until I could formally enroll. He was so proud that I was the first one in his family to go to college, so it must have been totally lousy for him to tell me that. I felt awful for him as he was telling me, and was totally was on board without questioning him at all. As with high school, I paid for at least half my tuition every year. All 3 of my siblings followed me to state schools.

So a lot of times after saying I went to UMASS Boston, I see this look on the BC/BU/Stonehill/private school grads faces where I can almost see that they are debating whether I am unclean or if they need to slow down and start talking in small sentences. For these guys, I usually tell them that UMASS Boston is where the actual smart kids go, because we graduated loan free, unlike all the chumps that went to private school. It either solicits some laughter, or we uncomfortably change the subject. F them either way! [wink]

OP, as far as the 2A problems your brother has, you are never going to change him. Don't give him the satisfaction of engaging him in an argument, unless it makes you feel better to blow off some steam. Sounds like he's pretty insecure around you, and he only feels better about himself by trying to feel superior. Totally unfriend him on facebook, no need to have him publicly trying to instigate anything.

Last edited:
Your brother is just an ignorant asshat. Honestly **** him and move on is all I would give him the courtesy of. He has already written himself out by not attending family stuff.

Happy belated birthday.

It's possible to be a liberal without being an arrogant, confrontational a-hole. It sounds like your brother is the latter. My sister is extremely liberal and we get along just fine.

It sounds to me like your brother, whether he realizes it or not, feels like less of a man because you had the stones to put your ass on the line to serve your country and he didn't. He compensates for his insecure feelings by acting as if he is morally and intellectually superior to you. He sounds like a guy who is in serious need of therapy.

Last edited:
I just read this again.. (I imade the mistake of skimming through your post the first time) . and in reading it, I'm surprised you didn't tell us that you smashed his face in. If I was in your shoes and someone said that to me there are only two things I would have done:

A- issued a correction and punched him in the face;
or
B- recused myself and never spoke to him ever again.

That's the type of arrogance that makes me livid.

-Mike
Yup.

I have an older brother that was well educated, unfortunately because he went to college he also thinks that your only as good as the school you went to. He starts almost every conversation with someone with "what school did you go to?" when he met my wife thats the first thing he asked and when she answered UMASS Amherst you could almost see him look down on her.

Now i decided to not attend college and go straight into the army from highschool, a decision to him that was wrong and he never fails to let me know that.

He is also extremely anti-gun, and anti-war to the point he would gladly call a returning soldier a baby killer, war criminal etc.

When i came home from my first deployment we had a big family dinner and one of the first things out of his mouth to me was "so how are you doing with your PTSD?" thinking he was being nice I told him it was alright and it wasnt really an issue and he immediately started telling me if i hadnt gone to war or enlisted I wouldnt have any of that and I would be able to live a normal life.

When i got my LTC he decided it would be better if he didnt attend family outings that I would be at because he didnt want to be around someone with a gun, he also never misses a moment to harp on gun control and "common sense" gun laws that he KNOWS would benefit the nation. He starts every one of his anti gun speeches with " just imagine what the world would be like if there were never guns, think of all the kids that would have been saved." I always tell him there isnt any point in day dreaming about something that wouldnt happen, its a waste of time.

Today is my birthday and instead of Happy birthday post on my facebook he put a collage of kids faces that have been killed during OIF and OEF entitled "Their blood is on your hands"

your a douche, end rant.

WOW.

Your brother is an elitist *******. He should hang out with my father. They share the same mindset.

Sorry he pulls crap like this on you, especially on your birthday.

Last edited:
To anyone who posted on this thread, today i cut ties totally with my brother, i gave him a long long long piece of my mind when he called after i posted on my facebook. it ended with him crying like a baby begging me not to do this because "brothers" dont turn their backs on each other so i told him yes my "brothers" dont you do.

What did he call about?

I generally agree its not good to ditch family over stupid shit, but from everything you posted it seems worth it. I would, if I were you, be open to giving him a second chance down the road if he grows up. Maybe this will wake him up.

Mike

That's a really tough place to be in with family, especially as a vet. Having been in a similar situation (non-vet), I just listened to my gut. Good on you for doing the same.

A family is a team, and every member of a family carries a life long responsibility to earn and maintain a level of respect and integrity between each other. If one of them chooses to mess up at a level like you're describing - cut them loose.

People like that are anchors in your life. Surround yourself with good people, and keep the s*** heads at a distance. The best thing you can do with them is learn from their mistakes and shortsightedness, and move on.

What did he call about?

I generally agree its not good to ditch family over stupid shit, but from everything you posted it seems worth it. I would, if I were you, be open to giving him a second chance down the road if he grows up. Maybe this will wake him up.

Mike

I'd second that... except that I have not spoken with my only brother in over 15 years and am much happier that way.

The OP will have to figure out in due time whether his brother falls under the salvageable category or not... but putting up with the behavior described in the OP was clearly not a choice.

To anyone who posted on this thread, today i cut ties totally with my brother, i gave him a long long long piece of my mind when he called after i posted on my facebook. it ended with him crying like a baby begging me not to do this because "brothers" dont turn their backs on each other so i told him yes my "brothers" dont you do.

Wow.

Anyone who would do this-

Today is my birthday and instead of Happy birthday post on my facebook he put a collage of kids faces that have been killed during OIF and OEF entitled "Their blood is on your hands"

and then whine when you rightfully cut him off from your life really is an idiot, in addition to be a grade A douchebag POS.

Wow.

Anyone who would do this-

and then whine when you rightfully cut him off from your life really is an idiot, in addition to be a grade A douchebag POS.

He was psychologically abusing you and you gave him a verbal bitch slap. Let him think about it for a while and when he realizes his loss, forgive and teach.

my older frigin sister is obamma love bat shit crazy. Donates SERIOUS cash to his re-election. Fantasizes about having his love child

jhagberg88 -- it's gotta be tough, but you'll have a much better life without him. My brother isn't liberal, but neo-conned. We don't talk much because there is no discussing anything with him. He's always right. Everyone else is wrong. And of course, he's 40 years old, unemployed and lives with my mother. At least he isn't on the government dole, but he probably will be one day. My mother can't live forever.

Tell your brother: Hey IT exist! the beautiful country without guns!!! Australia, England, or better yet China! All the kids are safe!! (except for dozens killed by madman in school with a knife). Its so much safer to live there - I'm sure he'll move there!

Wow. OP, that situation stinks. Sorry to hear, but might have to be this way.

I have two brothers and thankfully both own guns. Funny thing is we were all brought up anti-gun, b/c our parents WERE anti.

I hear you about people and their schools. I have a friend that is a super lib and went to an Ivy League school. He is always asking what school people went to as well.

It doesn't matter what school someone went to. I interview people all the time and if you have 2+ years of experience, what school you went to is completely irrelevant.

Back
Top Bottom