Does anyone carry the bigger Sigs, P226, P225, P229 etc?

I don't know about now, but originally the M11 was a P228. Not a P229. Back not so many years ago there was a difference, until sig stopped making P228s with folded slides. [sad2] The folded slide P228s balance and feel a lot better than a P229 does because the slide mass isn't stupidly high. The P229 was really Sig's entry into the .40 S&W market, the fact that they make a 9mm version was really an afterthought It's also worth noting that P229 9mm and .40/.357 frames are not compatible with one another, Sig actually gave the .40/.357 a different magwell to increase the capacity efficiency of the gun a little bit.

-Mike

Ooops my bad, everything you say is absolute veritas. P228 was the original M11. Sig reintroduced the M11A1 in the last 18-24 months but it was a commercial version and essentially a P229. To the best of my knowledge none of these P229A1s have been procured by the government. I had a P229 in 9mm back when the P229 was first introduced and it was a contract overrun for some Middle Eastern Military Contract (I later sold the gun and it was incompatible with the 40 barrel). You are correct the P229 was originally designed for the .40 and was marketed as the first pistol designed around that caliber by anyone according to Sig a totally new platform, the S&W 4006 being nothing more than a beefed up 5906 (whatever, advertising hype is hype).

Interestingly though, as far as frame incompatibility goes I don't doubt the veracity of your claim but I will say that my current P229 has 3 barrels: 40, 357 Sig, and a Bar Sto 9mm drop in. (absolutely no problems with that either, my P229 is 1997 vintage, I understand some of the later ones need fitting do to some desgin changes and tolerances) As far as 9mm mags go, I have original pre-ban P228 mags which I have no trouble with in the pistol as well as one marked P229 also pre-ban. These are 13 rounders (I realize the new 9mm Free State or standard version mags are now 15 rounds).

I would point out that the MSP used the later Model P226 which had the stainless slides, not the original sheet metal ones, and it was regularly carried as an off duty and CCW by non detective personnel who were authorized to be in civilian clothes. I personally have had no problems carrying the P229 CCW on and off for the last 9 or 10 years. Maybe its a big deal for some, but everyone is different. YMMV. I think body type and belt selection factor into it.

One would think that the P228 having a sheet metal slide would balance differently. Thanks for catching me on that one.

I don't know about now, but originally the M11 was a P228. Not a P229. Back not so many years ago there was a difference, until sig stopped making P228s with folded slides. [sad2] The folded slide P228s balance and feel a lot better than a P229 does because the slide mass isn't stupidly high. The P229 was really Sig's entry into the .40 S&W market, the fact that they make a 9mm version was really an afterthought It's also worth noting that P229 9mm and .40/.357 frames are not compatible with one another, Sig actually gave the .40/.357 a different magwell to increase the capacity efficiency of the gun a little bit.

-Mike

Ooops my bad, everything you say is absolute veritas. P228 was the original M11. Sig reintroduced the M11A1 in the last 18-24 months but it was a commercial version and essentially a P229. To the best of my knowledge none of these P229A1s have been procured by the government. I had a P229 in 9mm back when the P229 was first introduced and it was a contract overrun for some Middle Eastern Military Contract (I later sold the gun and it was incompatible with the 40 barrel). You are correct the P229 was originally designed for the .40 and was marketed as the first pistol designed around that caliber by anyone according to Sig a totally new platform, the S&W 4006 being nothing more than a beefed up 5906 (whatever, advertising hype is hype).

Interestingly though, as far as frame incompatibility goes I don't doubt the veracity of your claim but I will say that my current P229 has 3 barrels: 40, 357 Sig, and a Bar Sto 9mm drop in. (absolutely no problems with that either, my P229 is 1997 vintage, I understand some of the later ones need fitting do to some desgin changes and tolerances) As far as 9mm mags go, I have original pre-ban P228 mags which I have no trouble with in the pistol as well as one marked P229 also pre-ban. These are 13 rounders (I realize the new 9mm Free State or standard version mags are now 15 rounds).

I would point out that the MSP used the later Model P226 which had the stainless slides, not the original sheet metal ones, and it was regularly carried as an off duty and CCW by non detective personnel who were authorized to be in civilian clothes. I personally have had no problems carrying the P229 CCW on and off for the last 9 or 10 years. Maybe its a big deal for some, but everyone is different. YMMV. I think body type and belt selection factor into it.

One would think that the P228 having a sheet metal slide would balance differently. Thanks for catching me on that one.

I'd like to add to that to back up what was said by mark056. My P229 was a .40 and I purchased a .357SIG barrel and have no problem interchanging it while using the same mags. That being said, as I mentioned earlier, I find the P229 too heavy to carry, but it doesn't mean that others will not have a problem with it.

I'd like to add to that to back up what was said by mark056. My P229 was a .40 and I purchased a .357SIG barrel and have no problem interchanging it while using the same mags. That being said, as I mentioned earlier, I find the P229 too heavy to carry, but it doesn't mean that others will not have a problem with it.

LOL, well that's not really a test because the .40 and .357 Sig mags are basically the same thing, so I hope they would work.

The P229 .40/.357 will take the 9mm mags but not the other way around, unless they changed it. The profile of the magwell is bigger on the .40/.357 guns. Or at least back when I had my P228s you couldn't stick .40/.357 mags in it (I tried it on a lark , they don't even fit into the frame). It's disctinctly possible that most P229 9mm frames accommodate all the mags at this point, but I know early on P229 9mm and P228 non railed frames were EXACTLY the same.

-Mike

LOL, well that's not really a test because the .40 and .357 Sig mags are basically the same thing, so I hope they would work.

The P229 .40/.357 will take the 9mm mags but not the other way around, unless they changed it. The profile of the magwell is bigger on the .40/.357 guns. Or at least back when I had my P228s you couldn't stick .40/.357 mags in it (I tried it on a lark , they don't even fit into the frame). It's disctinctly possible that most P229 9mm frames accommodate all the mags at this point, but I know early on P229 9mm and P228 non railed frames were EXACTLY the same.

-Mike

Mike, either I didn't explain it properly or I am being misunderstood. I have the older non-rail P229 just like mark056 does. I could have purchased a 9mm after-market barrel like he did, the Bar-Sto, and use 9mm mags in my P229 just as he described, but I never got around to it. Therefore, as I stated, I was backing up mark056's claim.

I assume that the P229 is similar to a Glock whereby you can install after-market barrels that are smaller, i.e., as I'm sure that you are well aware, you can buy 9mm barrels for a G27, G23, or a G22. I do have a 9mm barrel for my G22, that will also take the 9mm mags that I bought for it to do the change-over, effectively now using it as a G17. However, as I also know that you are aware, I cannot take my G19 or G17 (I don't have one anyway) and drop in a .40S&W barrel.

Therefore, as I stated, I was just backing up mark056's claim that a .40/.357SIG/9mm barrel can be used in a non-rail P229 that was originally made as a .40S&W P229. Getting back to the 9mm P229, I agree that it cannot take a .40 barrel and since it cannot, I would assume that it also cannot take a .40 mag as you stated.

My P226 & P220 are strictly range and/or home defense guns. I have other smaller guns that suit my carry needs.

Back
Top Bottom