• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Do you need a MG licence just to shoot a MG?

Title says it all. Do you need a MG license just to handle and/or shoot machine gun? I read through the MGLs several times and could not find anything that specifically prohibits it or specifically allows it.

Yes, according to martha joakely and a bunch of state hacks bloviating about the issue, but it's not explicitly written in the law. Their argument has been that the exemption for LTC holders supervising unwashed people doesn't apply when a machine gun is in play because the exemption does not specify machine guns, or similar.

Now, as to whether or not people actually obey that garbage or not, that's another story.

-Mike

That's really the only reason I got one. I have a friend who is 07, SOT and owns a bunch of NFA stuff. The club we belong to has taken the stance that a green card is required to even shoot them.

Sucks that a bunch of clubs have now sucked for that BS, too, but can't say I'm surprised, as most are going to be risk averse on this.

All this crap because a dumbass wanted his 8 year old to shoot a micro-uzi. /SMH.

-Mike

Go to Manchester Firing Line in Manchester, NH and you can pick from over 100 and if you have the money you can shoot all you want.
Now at our club in Ma. you need to have all the proper licenses and documentation and permission from the club security to shoot one.

The AG says yes. Jack.

Yes, according to martha joakely and a bunch of state hacks bloviating about the issue, but it's not explicitly written in the law. Their argument has been that the exemption for LTC holders supervising unwashed people doesn't apply when a machine gun is in play because the exemption does not specify machine guns, or similar.

Now, as to whether or not people actually obey that garbage or not, that's another story.

-Mike

The above. According to an opinion or ruling (we aren't sure which) from AG Croakley, merely touching one without a mg license is a felony, penalty is up to life in prison! [shocked]

That's really the only reason I got one. I have a friend who is 07, SOT and owns a bunch of NFA stuff. The club we belong to has taken the stance that a green card is required to even shoot them.

Sucks that a bunch of clubs have now sucked for that BS, too, but can't say I'm surprised, as most are going to be risk averse on this.

All this crap because a dumbass wanted his 8 year old to shoot a micro-uzi. /SMH.

-Mike

Me too. Mike, the reason that some clubs do this is they want to be sure (by checking the person out) that the person isn't going to let a barrage go over the berm. At least that is the story at one of my clubs. Both require the mg license, but BR&P you have to ask permission EVERY time you want to shoot it. At MF&G, once you are cleared you are GTG anytime and as often as you'd like.

Last edited:
Go to Manchester Firing Line in Manchester, NH and you can pick from over 100 and if you have the money you can shoot all you want.
Now at our club in Ma. you need to have all the proper licenses and documentation and permission from the club security to shoot one.

Did this for my bachelor party. Rented their Tommy gun, was awesome.

Really didn't the gun parlor just get the green light for a range with full autos cans and sbrs for you to rent

Back
Top Bottom