Do you ever randomly run into other gun owners?

kalash

NES Member
In day-to-day situations, that is - obviously at the range or with gun friends it's a given. I've been running into gun people more than usual recently - waitress at a beer bar, dental hygienist, and now a guy that works at the dealership I go to. Each time I can't help but wonder if they're a FUDD and if they're carrying [laugh]

Last edited:
In day-to-day situations, that is - obviously at the range or with gun friends it's a given. I've been running into gun people more than usual recently - waitress at a beer bar, dental hygienist, and now a guy that works at the dealership I go to. Each time I can't hold but wonder if they're a FUDD and if they're carrying [laugh]

Guess that makes me a Fudd - I seldom carry.

IMO, self-division is worse than being divided by the other side.

Guess that makes me a Fudd - I seldom carry.

IMO, self-division is worse than being divided by the other side.
Not really what I meant. Those were two separate questions: 1) Are they a FUDD? and 2) Are they carrying.

But you should carry more often [wink]

All the time.

Usually at work when they are pulling a credit card out ill see the white card and ask them if they shoot and where or I notice an NRA sticker on the back of their truck. Usually leads to good conversation.

Last week a customer came in for something that was special ordered and asked me if we can accept a government ID for tax exempt purposes. I said sure. He threw down an ATF Boston branch card. I made sure to take good care of him. Led to a hilarious conversation about how the AG is out of her trees and he was pissed he was on vacation that week cause he would have bought 3-4 rifles that day had he known. Not even the almighty ATF is exempt from her shit.

I chatted with the lady that does renewals at the police department and it sounds like new license requests are still constantly coming in. I would figure my town would have reached a saturation point, but I guess not.

The common thread I find is that no one outside of NES or the range understands the laws. My sample size isn't huge, I'm not really a chatty mofo, but my coworkers' understanding of the laws is dismal. I've explained over and over again but they never seem to quite get it.

FWIW I definitely view this as a problem with the laws being overly complex. Pistol vs. Rifle and what pistols are, "OK" is the biggest source of confusion.

I know there are a few Somerville guys on this sight, but the only people I run into think the NES sticker on my car stands for Nintendo Entertainment System!
Plus I work in Cambridge, strictly "don't ask, don't tell" on so many levels!

This is why the meet ups and shoots are so great! Like minded people having a good time... and sometimes somebody gets tazed!

I'm in IT security, and a lot of guys in that field are into guns. Whenever I meet an IT engineer who mentions a military background or being in the reserves, pretty much guarantees he is a shooter, even in Mass.

Not a lot of NESers, mostly other forums.
5wcd5l.jpg

I know there are a few Somerville guys on this sight, but the only people I run into think the NES sticker on my car stands for Nintendo Entertainment System!
It doesn't?
2wbyt8z.jpg

I manage to run across enough folks that I'd guess I run across a lot more and simply don't know it. The guy at the liquor store the other day spotted my LTC in my wallet when I pulled out my driver's license. That started a nice long conversation about Healey and her less than delightful ways.

One of my bosses is a gun owner, forget how it came up. Also one of the accountants was/is a shooter which I never knew until at his retirement party someone asked what he was going to do and among other things he casually mentioned doing more shooting.

Had a run in while getting fuel in Acton a couple days after the first Rally. He was an RSO at his local and was a GOAL member. Told him to get himself on here and lookup Comm2a. Explained the different, yet joint task they both have.

I never talk guns with random strangers.
I don't either but it comes up on its own sometimes. One person asked about my JPFO shirt. Another somehow got on the topic of bug out bags, I mentioned taking a survival course in Holliston, and they asked if it was at Mass Firearms School. At the dealership the guy was explaining alignment specs to me using MOA [rofl] So no, I don't bring it up, but sometimes the topic gets breached on a tangent.

I work in NH with, apparently, a bunch of hoplophobes who are proud of ignorance. But I have met a couple of shooters there.

Have a neighbor I couldn't f...ing stand, one day I noticed a "sig" sticker on his car......now we're "pals". : )

I run into gun owners all the time, living in NH. Most of the time that's on the weekends. I work in the PRM, but even there I've run into other gun owners. Most likely with others that also live in NH. It doesn't hurt when I wear either one of my 5.11 or MagPul shirts. [smile]

I did notice a major shift in gun attitude when I moved to NH in 2012... It was a very welcome change.

Was flying home from Memphis, packed into the cattle section of a 737. I looked across the isle and there was a guy surfin the NES website on his laptop. What are the odds?

I do. But I live in NH.

I tend to spot people concealing. Sometimes I quietly out them. [smile]

Or if I see somebody with a "Glock" or "Sig Sauer" hat, I say "Nice hat"!

Seems to be more and more of us nowadays.

I was at breakfast in Bradford Ma and overheard 2 old lady's talking guns and I turned and said your talking my language and we talked a while about carry pistols, both said they carry a Bodyguard

while walking the dog I saw a guy just this week wearing a NRA hat. our dogs do the sniff each other routine, we talk dog talk (how old, name, breed, etc.) then as we're about to go our separate ways I remark, "I like that hat. Wear it proudly" and he says thanks.

also I was in an elevator with Wayne LaPierre once. does that count?

Last year Mrs. Flare and I took six months off and traveled down the east coast to Key West and back. Everywhere we went people wanted to talk about prepping, The Bundy Ranch, guns the militarization of the police, the possibility of a civil war, the likelihood of secession the Malheur Wildlife issue. I'm a little bit like Billsail. In my case I don't talk Liberty and the constitution unless someone provides a very large opening. It actually got creepy that everyone wanted to talk about this stuff and I thought, "Either the .gov is following me around or a lot of Americans are feeling itchy about .gov overreach all at once in my presence."

Today I'm at my mechanics and another customer in the waiting room mentions the rally in Boston. I told him Mrs. Flare and I were there and we went to lobby day too this past Saturday.

Either the .gov is tracking me and doing a great job at it or a lot of people have a vested interest in Liberty.

not really. Saw an old classmate from elementary school at cabela's. He became a police officer last year and was stocking up on 5.56 . He just bought AR a week before the ban and I telling him how I was kicking myself for not getting a lower. My best friend since middle school is a nogunz gun guy if that makes any sense. In my circle of friends theres maybe 3 or 4 other gun owners and a few more into guns but don't own them. Another friend of mine is a reformed(ish) hippie who's asked me to take him to the range and has expressed a lot of interest in learning how to use and handle firearms. He still says some cringey shit but hey if they were good enough company for the late Hunter S Thompson, they're good enough for me.

In people's republic of glorious massachusetts, I've learned to bite my tongue when it comes to extracurricular activities. Unless I see an opening or I spot a tell of a kindred spirit, I keep to myself.

Last Saturday on my ride into the statehouse I made an older gentleman carrying in a cell phone case on his left side for a cross draw. I only noticed because the rectangle of his magazine was clearly visible under the flap, I was going to warn him that they wouldn't let him in the state house with that, but decided just to go about my business. He got off the train well before park street.

I spotted a guy at market basket in Leominster, he was shopping with a 1yr old that threw his hat on the ground, I thought it was odd that he did a full squat to pick it up rather than just bend but when he came back up I noticed he was carrying small of the back, just caught a glimpse of the grip and the belt clip. He was quick to adjust the tail of his jacket back over it, he seemed pretty flustered over the whole ordeal so I didn't draw any attention to it by mentioning anything to him.

I don't notice too many but I think a lot of people notice the bulge in my pocket. [laugh]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom