Do I stand a chance

He can't do private sales anymore. Only have a FFL sell his stuff for him. Having B&K in Natick hold his collection until a lawyer reviews the case would be a good idea before the local PD hauls it off to a bonded warehouse.

Noxin's an FFl, Minuteman Armory.

Don't waste your money dude. It sucks that you got hosed by an unfair system, but from what you have said, you are sadly shit out of luck.

I'm not being a smart ass, but maybe take up archery. It's a blast and it's more of a zen thing than shooting.

Dumb advice considering that ht's probably only told us about 2% of what the lawyer needs to know. A good attorney will fully explore all avenues and possibilities. A DUI conviction in MA (which we don't know yet, he hasn't told us where it happened) might be a dead end for most but you never know.

-Mike

Like they say for the Lottery, you cant win if you dont play, so Play as far as you can afford...... You might win......

And unlike the lottery, it probably won't take (in relative terms) much spending to find out whether your odds of winning are completely terrible or somewhere within the realm of being fathomable.

-Mike

Sorry to bump this thread, but I'm curious about this too. I plead no contest to misdemeanor DUI in Florida in 2012. Does this mean I shouldn't even bother trying to apply for an LTC anywhere in MA?

Sorry to bump this thread, but I'm curious about this too. I plead no contest to misdemeanor DUI in Florida in 2012. Does this mean I shouldn't even bother trying to apply for an LTC anywhere in MA?
It depends on what the possible punishment is for a DUI in Florida. It is a lifetime disqualifier in MA because it has the potential of a greater than two year jail sentence. If Florida is like most sane states, you'll still be able to legally own firearms. It will just be a question of whether or not the issuing officer in your town in MA feels like you're worthy of a license. IANAL and this is not legal advice, of course. :)

It depends on what the possible punishment is for a DUI in Florida. It is a lifetime disqualifier in MA because it has the potential of a greater than two year jail sentence. If Florida is like most sane states, you'll still be able to legally own firearms. It will just be a question of whether or not the issuing officer in your town in MA feels like you're worthy of a license. IANAL and this is not legal advice, of course. :)
Of course, I understand. I worry that MA is like Canada, though, in this sense. See, in Florida, a misdemeanor DUI (no damages or anything) is punishable by no more than 1 year for first offenses. In Canada, they don't care what Florida sees it as; they view all DUIs as felonies. Does MA work the same way, in that all DUIs, regardless of the state it occurred in, are 2.5 year penalties and thus disqualify you from an LTC? Or do they take into account that in Florida it's only an up-to 1 year sentence?

Of course, I understand. I worry that MA is like Canada, though, in this sense. See, in Florida, a misdemeanor DUI (no damages or anything) is punishable by no more than 1 year for first offenses. In Canada, they don't care what Florida sees it as; they view all DUIs as felonies. Does MA work the same way, in that all DUIs, regardless of the state it occurred in, are 2.5 year penalties and thus disqualify you from an LTC? Or do they take into account that in Florida it's only an up-to 1 year sentence?

Actually, the issue here is not MA law but federal law. Federal law considers you a felon if you are convicted of a misdemeanor punishable by more than 2 years in prison. If the DUI in FL is only punishable by 1 year in prison, then you aren't a felon under federal law, so you are fine.

No. But read again what knfmn is telling you: the concern here is that your issuing authority (the town CoP or their designee) might feel, personally, that your DUI makes you unsuitable for licensure. And as it stands right now, they'd be within their rights.

No. But read again what knfmn is telling you: the concern here is that your issuing authority (the town CoP or their designee) might feel, personally, that your DUI makes you unsuitable for licensure. And as it stands right now, they'd be within their rights.
Yes, I understand that. My concern was over the "black and white" ness part of it. So I feel better now, having regressed to my previous assumption that if they really wanted to deny me for it they could, but at least it's not a legally-bound disqualification factor so to speak.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, the issue here is not MA law but federal law. Federal law considers you a felon if you are convicted of a misdemeanor punishable by more than 2 years in prison. If the DUI in FL is only punishable by 1 year in prison, then you aren't a felon under federal law, so you are fine.
Wow. Didn't know that. Thanks for the clarification

Probably not an issue in a "green" town. You should obtain a copy of your record from Florida to make sure it corresponds with what you think it says, and to make sure case is closed. If case is still open because someone forgot to make an entry you might run into a problem.

Back
Top Bottom