Do I need to get an AK now? Yes, yes I do! But…

If you're going to buy low then get a reliable MAK90. I STRONGLY suggest making sure it is a straight-cut receiver so you can customize it easily without having to worry about whether you need an adaptor or special furniture. Don't worry, you can replace the shitty thumbhole stock with better options, just go for it.

Otherwise, if you get a slant-cut, you will want to bandsaw your dick off and set yourself on fire with plenty of accelerant once you try to figure out a reasonable way to customize the thing... slight exaggeration for dramatic effect.

I was going to get a builder's kit from PSA delivered to NH and bring it down? If any AK was in my price range, I'd be going in that direction. I've shot a Norinco, Wasr-10, and a PSA GF5. Apart from slight aesthetic and ironsight set up, none of them felt different to me.

Thoughts on AR-47 or an AK-556 (ak 101/102 IIRC)

Edit: So Grendizer doesn't throttle me in my sleep, I do want to add a caveat - all had been worked on to improve fit and finish by the owner, as well as trigger work but retained stock parts for each respective rifle.

If anyone ever wants to educate me I'll supply ammo.

Last edited:
SAR1 is a fine AK. You can fix the trigger slap very easily - just google it. Shoots just as well as any other stamped AK.

Thanks everyone for the real info and also for the banter. It's always fun. One a serious note I've found some AKs for sale at places I know and am wondering what you would prefer from this list. They are:

Norinco Mak-90
Maadi Arm
Norinco Hunter w/ Galil Conversion
Arsenal SA-93

What do you like?

Thanks everyone for the real info and also for the banter. It's always fun. One a serious note I've found some AKs for sale at places I know and am wondering what you would prefer from this list. They are:

Norinco Mak-90
Maadi Arm
Arsenal SA-93

What do you like?
Arsenal is objectively the best; I wouldn't go with the Norinco Hunter, conversion or not, for various reasons. Maadi is the second best, then the MAK90 is the least expensive but depending on the trigger could be a great value buy just make sure it's a straight-cut receiver unless you plan to go through the trouble of sourcing new furniture, buying an adapter etc, or for some reason don't mind a thumbhole stock.

OP if money not an issue get Russian SGL aka Saiga. That's as good as it gets in Aks world in my opinion.
As a matter of fact there's one on GB right now SGL21-61 very very reasonably priced in today's market.

Norinco Mak-90
Maadi Arm
Arsenal SA-93

What do you like?
This is a no-brainer

Bulgarian SA93
Egyptian Maadi ARM
Chinese MAK90
Norinco “Galil”

I would look for a Hungarian SA85 before buying a MAK90.

In my opinion an AK is like a*al sex - rough and tumble, but eventually if you are persistent enough it gets the job done regardless of conditions. An AR on the other hand is more like a vay-jay - smooth and accommodating, but highly dependent on lube, overall cleanness, temperature, mood with ample helpings from the phase of the moon...

What the f.. did I just write...

and edit- there are the Bulgarian AKs, then the Izmash Russian ones and then everything else

Last edited:

Norinco Mak-90
Maadi Arm
Arsenal SA-93

What do you like?

My list parallels Grenadizer's:
This is a no-brainer

Bulgarian SA93
Egyptian Maadi ARM
Chinese MAK90
Norinco “Galil”

The only one of those I haven't owned is the MAK90, so I've had experience with most of these. The one thing I would say is that while milled AKs are generally smoother than stamped AKs, the difference in performance is only enough to justify, say, a 10% premium in my opinion. Not the 30% or so that sellers tend to ask for. JMO. On your list, I'd say the Maadi is likely to give you the best bang for your buck unless you're getting a sweet deal on the Bulgy.

The Galil conversions, if done well, are smooth as butter. But they're quite heavy, and the price is usually grossly inflated. I'd also say that a Vz58 is probably better than all four of your options, even though it's not really an AK.

It has yes, it is no longer .03$ a round, but 5.56 is no longer .09$ a round either.... But is is a better round it's intended use :)

My 74 is my SHTF rifle.
I sold all my AK's in 7.62x39 and all I have left is my 5.45x39 AK. That I can't find ammo for really.

5.56 is $.50 a round right now. 5.45 is a lot more than that. I don't see the situation getting any better either.

Another problem is when I do find 5.45 and it's not full rape prices I then have to decide if I want it because it's steel core or not, which limits what I can use it for at the range.

It's turned into a pain in the ass. What was once a dirt cheap round is now very expensive and the ammo I can find is either $1 a round and great or under that corrosive steel core that I cant shoot plates with.

My list parallels Grenadizer's:

The only one of those I haven't owned is the MAK90, so I've had experience with most of these. The one thing I would say is that while milled AKs are generally smoother than stamped AKs, the difference in performance is only enough to justify, say, a 10% premium in my opinion. Not the 30% or so that sellers tend to ask for. JMO. On your list, I'd say the Maadi is likely to give you the best bang for your buck unless you're getting a sweet deal on the Bulgy.

The Galil conversions, if done well, are smooth as butter. But they're quite heavy, and the price is usually grossly inflated. I'd also say that a Vz58 is probably better than all four of your options, even though it's not really an AK.
I bet the Maadi is the easiest to de-ban as well.

Back
Top Bottom