• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dick's to stock handguns and black rifles

weren't they the dicks that did not honor order prices on ar15s after sandy hook went down? boycott! lol

I wouldn't mind shopping at "mom & pop" guns shops but more than half of gun shop owners are total dinks! At least they are generally friendly at Dicks, if your a small shop and you want my business I will pay a bit more but only if your friendly. Four Seasons in eastern MA and Guns and Gun parts in Western MA are the only 2 nice guys I have met in MASS.

I wouldn't mind shopping at "mom & pop" guns shops but more than half of gun shop owners are total dinks! At least they are generally friendly at Dicks, if your a small shop and you want my business I will pay a bit more but only if your friendly. Four Seasons in eastern MA and Guns and Gun parts in Western MA are the only 2 nice guys I have met in MASS.
You've got to get out more.

Walmarts have AR15s in NH, last I remember, too. No handguns though. Not sure if they still do, but for awhile Walmart even had Colt 6920s.

-Mike

The Walmart near where my son lives in Alabama just added long guns to their sporting goods section. Last time I was in a Texas Walmart, they had long guns too, as did TN. I doubt we'll see that in MA, but who knows? Raynham used to have them about 10 years ago.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not a big fan of Dicks.

But my wife is.

(I am pathetically predictable)

No good can come from this comment, no good at all.

I stopped shopping at Dicks after December 2012. This won't change that decision. KTP isn't much farther for me and has a much better selection of everything. Hell I've seen small local shops with a better selection than Dicks. If you need that "big box store" feel, you can go to Bass Pro in Hooksett as the selection is far better.

I couldn't tell you the last time I was @ KTP. If I'm going that far I just drive another 35 minutes to Cabela's. They always seem to be cheaper and better availability.

The only real upside might be that you can use gift cards, coupons, or reward points for purchases, and they might have decent Black-Friday type incentives.

Still wouldn't get me to shop there.[/
QUOTE]

I got stopped from using a ten dollar off 50 dollar coupon the other day when trying to buy some sg shells in keene. They wont take those on firearm purchases either.

So i didnt buy the shells. Ill go somewhere else than dicks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually always wondered who pays the big stores prices bass pro in mass charges full mrsp on a gun a black Beretta was like 679 last time I looked. I know u can usually get them out the door for around 5 if you shop a bit. Just one example but most guns are high at the bigger stores. But maybe with another chain someone with some actual money would realize they would clean up if they challenged the list. I doubt dicks has the balls no pun intended but another big box store selling can't be all bad. If dicks or Cabell as challenged I know I'd buy 3 to 5 guns from there before I forgot about them challenging

I actually always wondered who pays the big stores prices bass pro in mass charges full mrsp on a gun a black Beretta was like 679 last time I looked.
Bass Pro discovered their prices necessitated adding a "firearms excluded" to their price matching policy.

And, the irony is, Bass Pro is probably buying cheaper than the independent dealers.

What idiots shop at Dick's for guns? Who just up and settles for MSRP (and shitty service)?!?!

This idiot, who picked up a half-dozen 50-rd boxes of UMC .45ACP for less than $12/box, and a Versa Max Tactical for $809. Rare to find deals there, but it happens.

This idiot, who picked up a half-dozen 50-rd boxes of UMC .45ACP for less than $12/box, and a Versa Max Tactical for $809. Rare to find deals there, but it happens.

I agree. I prefer local shops. But sometimes the big guys advertise super deals that are lower than what the smaller shops pay wholesale.

I've never purchased a gun at Cabelas. I have a problem with taking a number to talk to counter help.

But I purchased my first hunting shotgun at Walmart in 1991. It was a 870 express in Birch for $199.

It was an impulse purchase, but it turned out to be $40 less than my local shop. Which for someone fresh out of college, made a difference.

I say the more competition they bring to Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop, the more consumers are going to benefit. Other than that... who cares who they hire. As long as I know what I'm getting I couldn't care less who hands it to me.

I say the more competition they bring to Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop, the more consumers are going to benefit. Other than that... who cares who they hire. As long as I know what I'm getting I couldn't care less who hands it to me.
As three or four small, family owned gun shops staffed by friendly knowledgeable, responsible LTC holders shuts down cuz they are priced-out by the corporation that moves in next door, doesn't care who they hire (as long as the college kid accepts the ten bucks an hour and doesn't need ugly things like health bennies, etc). Even better if corporate can force the kid to work on Christmas Eve, come in at midnight on "Black Friday" to sell some discounted Chinese-made shirts with "USA" silk screened on them. Cuz the "District Manager" says we have to stay open til 6pm on Easter Sunday.

Yep. Who cares. Other then the great guy who used to own the liquor store in Malden (his name escapes me. Maybe someone remembers the store), a nice family guy who hired all local folks, great community values, supported Malden Little League, PeeWeeHockey, etc.. and would buy buy 50 cases of beer from the same truck that was delivering 50 pallets of the same beer to the corporate owned Superstore around the corner.

The spot where that liquor store was is now the Nautilus machines section of the huge corporate-owned Fitness Center next door that bought the leased space of the "failed" Mom & Pop packie next door, after negotiating a great discount with the landlord and giving the liquor store owner about ten cents "on" the dollar for most of the stuff in the store, then auctioning it off for 30 cents "on".

But "as long as I know what I'm getting" when I grab a 30-pack at "Corporate" for .82 cents less than what I would've paid at the old place beside the health club, who gives a sh*t.

"Who cares"?

Last edited:
As three or four small, family owned gun shops staffed by friendly knowledgeable, responsible LTC holders shuts down cuz they are priced-out by the corporation that moves in next door, doesn't care who they hire (as long as the college kid accepts the ten bucks an hour and doesn't need ugly things like health bennies, etc). Even better if corporate can force the kid to work on Christmas Eve, come in at midnight on "Black Friday" to sell some discounted Chinese-made shirts with "USA" silk screened on them. Cuz the "District Manager" says we have to stay open til 6pm on Easter Sunday.

Yep. Who cares. Other then the great guy who used to own the liquor store in Malden (his name escapes me. Maybe someone remembers the store), a nice family guy who hired all local folks, great community values, supported Malden Little League, PeeWeeHockey, etc.. and would buy buy 50 cases of beer from the same truck that was delivering 50 pallets of the same beer to the corporate owned Superstore around the corner.

The spot where that liquor store was is now the Nautilus machines section of the huge corporate-owned Fitness Center next door that bought the leased space of the "failed" Mom & Pop packie next door, after negotiating a great discount with the landlord and giving the liquor store owner about ten cents "on" the dollar for most of the stuff in the store, then auctioning it off for 30 cents "on".

But "as long as I know what I'm getting" when I grab a 30-pack at "Corporate" for .82 cents less than what I would've paid at the old place beside the health club, who gives a sh*t.

"Who cares"?

I don't see it happening. Dick's isn't ChinaMart! Their prices are nothing special and can usually be met or beat by most LGSs. Only advantage they have is being open later, on Sundays and holidays. Dick's, Cabela's, BassPro, etc. seem to sell guns at MSRP whereas most LGSs sell lower. Ammo can be cheaper sometimes, sometimes not.

It's been years since I've even stepped into a Dick's and with their current policies on ammo sales, I can't see myself going in there except perhaps out of curiosity if they were to sell handguns . . . so I could laugh at their prices, like I do on the rare occasion when I stop in at BassPro (my walk by the handgun counter at BP usually takes less than 60 seconds).

"Who cares"?

This market segment is different. Box stores don't compete well on price on firearms. Bass Pro, Cabelas, Dicks, Walmart, etc, don't really threaten gun shops because their pricing sucks on a lot of things. Yeah, sure, some of them have the skinflint shotgun for sale cheaper than the LGS, but let's be honest... most of the people buying the skinflint gear aren't profit centers for gun shops. The guy that buys the shotgun and a brick or two of shells every year is lost in the noise. He's not the guy dropping $50-$2000 in your store every month. About the only thing they do OK on is stuff like ammo, but even then, they're kinda middle of the pack except for probably walmart isn't far from market floor on handgun ammo.

The "the hardware store gets put out of business by home despot and blowes" thing doesn't really work with gun shops, due to the regulatory environment and an extremely bizzare national distribution model resembling something out of the byzantine empire.

-Mike

Last edited:
I was in Dicks last night with a friend. I have a gift card and was looking at some Bruins gear. My friend only has an FID and has been in the market for a 20ga pump. He asked to see a Mavrick88 pump and the clerk dude took almost 10 min looking through books and stuff before he would let him hold it. I asked what he was doing and he said he had to make sure it's capacity was low enough to sell to an FID holder. I almost choked laughing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom