Dick's to stock handguns and black rifles

I'm glad to hear that some folks have mom and pop gun stores right around the corner - and they offer great prices.

In my case:
Bag of #8 shot at Cabela's: $50 Vs. Local store: $60.

1lb Unique: $22.99 vs $25.99

1000 209 primers: 25.99 vs $34.00

500 Claybuster Wads: $11 vs $12.50

And I can go on. But, still, I try my best to shop at my local place, it's just a small place and I understand they cannot compete with the super large volume mom and pop stores or the big box stores.
But i really don't get the "ooo Cabela's are so expensive", in my case, it's exactly the other way around.

And no, driving 60 miles round trip to 4 seasons on the weekend is not my idea of fun.

Maybe this has been brought up before with respect to Dick's recording your info with purchases, but I just got a notice of a proposed class action settlement where the retailer is alleged to have violated MGL 93 105(a) "by requesting and recording PII including, but not limited to, zip codes, from customers who purchased merchandise... using a credit card." The MGL subsection reads:

Section 105. (a) No person, firm, partnership, corporation or other business entity that accepts a credit card for a business transaction shall write, cause to be written or require that a credit card holder write personal identification information, not required by the credit card issuer, on the credit card transaction form. Personal identification information shall include, but shall not be limited to, a credit card holder’s address or telephone number. The provisions of this section shall apply to all credit card transactions; provided, however, that the provisions of this section shall not be construed to prevent a person, firm, partnership, corporation or other business entity from requesting information is necessary for shipping, delivery or installation of purchased merchandise or services or for a warranty when such information is provided voluntarily by a credit card holder.

If Dick's is recording info on purchases made with a credit card in the same system/on the same form then they might be violating this, at least for stuff that doesn't require an LTC, no?

The litmus test for this would be whether or not they require the same info for a cash purchase.

If so, then its not for the purpose of the CC transaction. I suspect this is nothing. Since if they
also record this when the transaction is cash, they could rightfully claim that the type of transaction is not relevant.

Don

The litmus test for this would be whether or not they require the same info for a cash purchase.

If so, then its not for the purpose of the CC transaction. I suspect this is nothing. Since if they
also record this when the transaction is cash, they could rightfully claim that the type of transaction is not relevant.

Don

Since there's a proposed settlement, I'm guessing it's not nothing.

Maybe this has been brought up before with respect to Dick's recording your info with purchases, but I just got a notice of a proposed class action settlement where the retailer is alleged to have violated MGL 93 105(a) "by requesting and recording PII including, but not limited to, zip codes, from customers who purchased merchandise... using a credit card." The MGL subsection reads:

If Dick's is recording info on purchases made with a credit card in the same system/on the same form then they might be violating this, at least for stuff that doesn't require an LTC, no?

Is there a website for this class action suit, new guy? Thanks for the info.

Here's the complaint that's being settled:

https://secure.ntcsol.com/softniche/easyclaim/Content2011/PNK/Documents/Complaint.pdf

I'm not sure that the fact that Dick's requires the same of cash customers exonerates them under the language of 105(a). At minimum it might light a fire under their lawyers' asses and get them rethinking their policies.

Gas stations that ask for your zip code are the other retailers that come to mind after reading the statute...

Last edited:
Here's the complaint that's being settled:

https://secure.ntcsol.com/softniche/easyclaim/Content2011/PNK/Documents/Complaint.pdf

I'm not sure that the fact that Dick's requires the same of cash customers exonerates them under the language of 105(a). At minimum it might light a fire under their lawyers' asses and get them rethinking their policies.

Gas stations that ask for your zip code are the other retailers that come to mind after reading the statute...
billing zip code is required by some processors to validate the card

billing zip code is required by some processors to validate the card

Is it the processors or is it required by the gas stations themselves in shady areas or near highways where people using stolen cards is a problem? I guess both would have the incentive to verify.

In any case, Dick's seems to be requesting and retaining the info for their own benefit.

Don

When I purchase ammo from Dicks the process is the exact same as if I used my CC, they still plug the same info into the computer.
If that is what you're talking about.

When I purchase ammo from Dicks the process is the exact same as if I used my CC, they still plug the same info into the computer.
If that is what you're talking about.

I think it is what he's saying, I'm just not sure that it matters. The language of 105(a) doesn't say anything about the information requirement practice only being applied to CC transactions - the fact that they are applying it to CC transactions at all would seem to be a violation. A court would have to interpret the section if one hasn't already, but Dick's might just find it easier to scrap the practice altogether rather than deal with 93A stuff, particularly when all that's being asked of them is to stop the practice (vs a demand for damages).

Last edited:
When you said, "the retailer", are you saying the class action is against Dicks?

I took it to mean it was against someone else.

Again my point is that this is about recording PII for CC use.

That's different than recording PII for the sale of ammo with CC or Cash use being incidental to the sale of ammo.

Don

Is it the processors or is it required by the gas stations themselves in shady areas or near highways where people using stolen cards is a problem? I guess both would have the incentive to verify.

In any case, Dick's seems to be requesting and retaining the info for their own benefit.
The processor has the option, at least they used to. i have been out of that business for a while. It was pretty common practice for online stuff years ago for them to request the billing zip code. Most places use the number on the back of the card now to prove at least you may have the card in your possession. The stores that ask for it at teh register is a different story. they are tracking demographics and you can always decline. Spags was the first retailer in my area and group of customers to do it. they would run a report once a week to see where the customer base was actually coming from. This help them decide where to publish there news paper flyers and other marketing strategies

It's a level of security to prevent fraud that some merchants opt for or may be required to obtain. Gas purchases of stolen credit cards is one of the largest areas of fraud. Once the CC company receives notice that the charge is not legit from the owner of the card, they credit the money back to the customer and either deduct it from the gas station's (or other merchant) bank account or reduce the next deposit to that merchant. There is no "appeal" for the merchant if the card is used fraudulently. And the merchant is out the $. This is why the zip code info is required at pumps. It doesn't prevent all fraud but a lot of it.

Also, the number of times this happens to a merchant affects the rate they pay for processing those transactions.

When you said, "the retailer", are you saying the class action is against Dicks?

I took it to mean it was against someone else.

Again my point is that this is about recording PII for CC use.

That's different than recording PII for the sale of ammo with CC or Cash use being incidental to the sale of ammo.

Don

The retailer with the proposed settlement on the table is a different store/company.

105(a) isn't about recording PII for CC use, it's about recording PII in connection with CC transactions.

No person, firm, partnership, corporation or other business entity that accepts a credit card for a business transaction shall write, cause to be written or require that a credit card holder write personal identification information, not required by the credit card issuer, on the credit card transaction form. Personal identification information shall include, but shall not be limited to, a credit card holder’s address or telephone number. The provisions of this section shall apply to all credit card transactions; provided, however, that the provisions of this section shall not be construed to prevent a person, firm, partnership, corporation or other business entity from requesting information is necessary for shipping, delivery or installation of purchased merchandise or services or for a warranty when such information is provided voluntarily by a credit card holder.

If you read the complaint for the proposed settlement it doesn't say anything about the retailer trying to validate or support the actual CC transactions, they were just doing it in order to enhance their marketing (i.e. for their own benefit - for Dick's the benefit would be the CYA aspect of it, which doesn't justify it). It had nothing to do with the use of a CC except that: (a) the use of a CC brought the situation under 105(a); and (b) they recorded the info on the same form/in the same system.

Last edited:
Went to dicks the other day, saw a sign about "guns and handguns" on sale. Needless to say they didn't actually have any handguns.

I can't believe they found someone working at the counter to make a purchase. [thinking]
Those guys are like ninja's . and if you do manage to corner one ,you'll be sure to know you ruined their day by interrupting what ever they were up to .
Gave up on dick's long ago.

They forgot to charge me for $75 worth of ammo today. I'm heading back to return it. [wink]

What I find interesting is how they are jumping into the handgun business at a slow time in the market. Dealers seem to be overstocked with inventory at the moment. There's ammo supply coming back, you can buy an AR off the shelf at any dealer now, and I've seen several dealers offering "inventory reduction" sales.

Unless they're aware of an upcoming shooting event that will cause the next binge buying event. They seem to pop up every 2-3 years now.

I don't about how anyone else feels, but the small mom and pop gun stores are where I like to spend my money.
Guns are one of the few items where you don't have to choose between lowest prices and mom&pop stores. For some reasons, despite their greater buying power, the large stores tend to run much closer to retail than the small shops. Just remember how Bass Pro had to add "guns excluded" to their price matching policy because people kept bringing in Four Seasons ads.

But, on the other hand, I've only seen one independent gun shop carry 50BMG ammo (Mass Firearms), however, Walmart seems to have a pretty good inventory of that caliber.

Back
Top Bottom