Deval appoints new head of State Police.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AGAIN, the State Police no longer handle NR licenses and have not for some time. You continue to ignore reality.

No, but they've delegated that responsibility to another entity as they're authorized to under the law. It could just as easily be delegated right back to MSP.

Ah, the Sage of the Buckeye State again weighing in on something he knows absolutely nothing about.

I couldn't give two shits less about your licensing system. Thankfully us Buckeye rubes are smart enough to avoid such crap in our lives.

Well, they do handle non-residents and I believe they still process part of the paperwork for residents. Things won't change much until you take the power away from the police chiefs and we become a "shall grant", not "may grant". Issue with the police chief control....I've had reps tell me flat out they won't change it because the police chiefs and potentially the policeman's union will wage war against any candidate that wants to take that power away.

Last edited:
Scrivener....Just a few weeks ago I was looking at moving to CT, so I inquired about my NR permit. I was SPECIFICALLY directed to the state police and given a number in the department. The person I spoke to was a trooper. So I would say that means it's still the state police. Maybe they took it back since you last heard??

He'll never top, "...and good day to you, madam!"

I'm lost. Link?

Well, they do handle non-residents and I believe they still process part of the paperwork for residents. Things won't change much until you take the power away from the police chiefs and we become a "shall grant", not "may grant". Issue with the police chief control....I've had reps tell me flat out they won't change it because the police chiefs and potentially the policeman's union will wage war against any candidate that wants to take that power away.

No offense intended to you, but it's pretty sad when one of our highest aspirations is a right that's licensed for a painful amount of money in a more streamlined fashion.

The overwhelming majority of the gun laws are BS, and IMO things won't change much until more people recognize that we have a right to arms, not discretionary access so long as we remain suitable.

/rant

The MSP is am outstanding force but I wonder how much the [STRIKE]Superintendent [/STRIKE] Governor shapes policies?

I fixed it for you to reflect reality. If the Supt does not march to the drum of the Governor, they are "out" and a new one is put in place!!

Come to think of it,that has to be the first fat and out of shape trooper I have ever seen.

Greg, you never know (or want to find out [wink] ), but that might be solid muscle and not fat! [laugh] [rofl]

Don't you remember when the MDC and RMV Police merged with MSP. That was the first time we ever saw fat Troopers!!!

Yet. There have been proposals, maybe even bills filed, in the past to move licensing to the state level. If such were to come about then who heads the MSP could matter to residents.

As I read C140S131F NR licensing is under the authority of the colonel of MSP which can be delegated. As I read it the new colonel could certainly change the delegation to the CHSB or apply new conditions or directives that could affect NR LTC holders here.

Agree that it could happen. Given what is currently occurring (NRs given expensive, useless, restricted LTCs), I'm not too sure that it would get worse! [thinking]

Well stated, the legistraitors are scared to death of MCOPA and will never vote to take away their absolute power of "suitability"! You have hit on the reality of the situation in MA. [thinking] [rolleyes]

....I've had reps tell me flat out they won't change it because the police chiefs and potentially the policeman's union will wage war against any candidate that wants to take that power away.

I highly doubt that any "policeman's union" would have any problem with it.

Well, the thought is that the chiefs will lean on the policemen to get the union's support. The cheif's union definitely will never let this fly if they can help it. I understand the original intention (or justification) may have been that a police chief can sit down with the applicant and see if they are some risk/nutball, then give them the permit. However, that is not what is being done in practice. Essentially, the laws have created a local dictator on permitting.

Well, they do handle non-residents and I believe they still process part of the paperwork for residents. .

Well, I believe you are advertising your ignorance. Again.

The SP no longer handle NR licenses and all it does for firearms licensing is run prints through its AFIS branch.

Those who still think otherwise are directed to the CHSB website, which has the NR application posted thereon:

http://www.mass.gov/Eeops/docs/chsb/firearms/MIRCS Non-Resident LTC application - for website.pdf

Note THIS part:

Beginning August 1st, 2009, all new and renewal non-resident temporary licenses to carry firearms (LTC) in Massachusetts will be issued through the Massachusetts Instant Record Check System (MIRCS).

And THIS part:

To complete the application process, all applicants will be required to appear in person at the following:

Firearms Records Bureau
Criminal History Systems Board
200 Arlington Street, Chelsea, MA 02150

Any applicant who submits an application to the Firearms Records Bureau (FRB) after June 1st, 2009, will be contacted by FRB staff to set up an appointment for final LTC processing in Chelsea, MA.

And this part:

The Firearms Records Bureau (FRB) may apply certain restrictions on a non-resident temporary license to carry firearms. These restrictions detail the terms and conditions that govern the possession of a firearm under the license pursuant to G.L. c. 140, §131F.

Again, FRB - not the SP.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom