• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Definition of a Massachusetts compliant fixed stock.

So glad the laws in MA are so clear. For speeding they should just make the law 'no fast driving' and leave at that. The gun laws are about as broad. Such a PITA.

The door swings both ways. Frankly if the law was very specific, MA would be even worse than it is now.

-Mike

I do know that on the S&W M&P 15-22, the stock is blind pinned only (visible from one side only). To remove, jam a small ring-shank nail inside the roll pin and pull it out (you could also drill I guess) - no glue or other method used.

The S&W M&P 15 ORC uses a glued and pinned stock PLUS a buffer tube that is too long for an adjustable to work.

YMMV, but a simple pin is good enough for a 15-22, it should be good enough for anything else.

^
You didn't finish your post. List the adjustable stocks that are legal and why they are legal. It's not fair to make a broad statement like that and not name the names... Just my .02

Nowhere in the MGLs does it say that an adjustable stock is illegal, therefore they're legal because they're not illegal.

There is some language regarding "folding or telescoping" stocks specific to the AWB, but again "adjustable" is not the same thing as "folding or telescoping." One example would be the stocks that match rifle shooters use - adjustable like six different ways, but they are neither "folding" nor "telescoping." A more common example would be something like a Magpul PRS - adjustable butt plate and cheek riser, but again neither "folding" nor "telescoping."

The MGLs are bullshit enough on their own without people adding stuff that isn't there.

So glad the laws in MA are so clear. For speeding they should just make the law 'no fast driving' and leave at that. The gun laws are about as broad. Such a PITA.

The door swings both ways. Frankly if the law was very specific, MA would be even worse than it is now.

-Mike

Using some of the more recent ATF rulings as an example (where idiots couldn't leave well enough alone and had to
ask too may questions), we're probably better off not getting clarification or determinations from the AG's office and/or
asking them too many questions.

You might as well just embrace the fixed stock. I have gone entirely to ACE Skeleton Stocks and standard A2 buttstocks. I like the LOP and cannot stand the sight of a telescoping stock that has been pinned.

I prefer not to drill a perfectly good buffer tube and stock. I ended up punching out the roll pin that holds the spring and plunger in place on a MOE stock. Took out the spring and lever and put a 3/4" piece of plastic inside the plunger. Reinstall the roll pin with the stock in the desired location and voila evil telescoping feature no longer works. The piece of plastic inside the plunger acts as a wedge to prevent the plunger from moving but it's reversible.

It's a gotch'a regarding the word "adjustable" as opposed to "collapsible" and "folding"...

Technically, collapsible and folding stocks are perfectly legal on a semi-auto rifle... as long as there are no other evil features present.
Good point. Remove the pistol grip, bayonet lug, Flash suppressor , and grenade launcher and folding/adjustable stocks are perfectly legal. The definition of assault rifle is that the rifle contains at least 2 of the following.

(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(2) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon ;
(3) a bayonet mount;
(4) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and
(5) a grenade launcher

...... and I post this in jest .. as this thread has gone on much to long already. If your stock is secured so that it is not adjustable and you are in a situation where a LEO is removing pins or screws then you are in a world of trouble already.

thank you all for the great advice. I do not want to be in a gray area so, i have decided to pin the sock with 2 roll pins (visible from one side only) so it doesn't move permanently,mirroring the factory stock

I do know that on the S&W M&P 15-22, the stock is blind pinned only (visible from one side only). To remove, jam a small ring-shank nail inside the roll pin and pull it out (you could also drill I guess) - no glue or other method used.

The S&W M&P 15 ORC uses a glued and pinned stock PLUS a buffer tube that is too long for an adjustable to work.

YMMV, but a simple pin is good enough for a 15-22, it should be good enough for anything else.

If you can remove the pin with a tool it is adjustable, which is also why the bullet button doesn't help in MA.

I love how I have seen several S&W M&P 15s that are pinned and the pins fall out. Think S&W will help with your legal fees? The process and requirements aren't defined so the vagueness makes everyone over cautious or under cautious based on our opinions if these BS laws

I love how I have seen several S&W M&P 15s that are pinned and the pins fall out. Think S&W will help with your legal fees?

My guess is they do it haphazardly because they know the whole law is a joke and will never/rarely be enforced anyways. The whole thing is a dog and pony show to make people feel good. Also, on most of the M&P 15s (like the sport) if the stock falls apart its not adjustable anyways, as the entire thing is a "fake collapsible" stock. So even if it did fall off it would not become illegal. The 15-22, on the other hand, is the one with the pins that everyone removes or has fall out. [laugh] A year or so ago I think twice in 2 weeks I ran into guys at ranges I was at that said things like "Yeah I bought this rifle and the first thing I did when I got home was repaired the stock so it worked right. " etc. My guess is they either didn't know or didn't care they were committing a felony by doing so. I didn't say anything because it's none of my business if someone wants to flip the bird to the state.

-Mike

Last edited:
I asked two uncles who are cops about my magpul prs stock . One said it was illegal one said it's not.... Lol

I talked to a few cops and they said do what ever you want Noone not even the cops really know the gun laws just don't adjust it when people are looking

thank you all for the great advice. I do not want to be in a gray area so, i have decided to pin the sock with 2 roll pins (visible from one side only) so it doesn't move permanently,mirroring the factory stock
2 roll pins? Just put one in it and forget about it. No ones ever going to check it, and you're going to forget that it was ever adjustable pretty quickly. You're wayyy overthinking this.

2 roll pins? Just put one in it and forget about it. No ones ever going to check it, and you're going to forget that it was ever adjustable pretty quickly. You're wayyy overthinking this.

Replace the spring and detent with a pin . No need to wreck the stock and buffer tube.

Once you set the length and reassemble you'll need to take the locking mech apart to change the length .
Save detent and spring so when u go to a free state for a shoot you can put you stock back to normal .

Replace the spring and detent with a pin . No need to wreck the stock and buffer tube. Once you set the length and reassemble you'll need to take the locking mech apart to change the length . Save detent and spring so when u go to a free state for a shoot you can put you stock back to normal .
Yeah, this is what I did. Is there a clear write-up on how to do this anywhere for all these noobs to follow? I should pull mine apart and get some clear photos or do a video. This drilling and blind pinning shit is stupid.

I love how I have seen several S&W M&P 15s that are pinned and the pins fall out. Think S&W will help with your legal fees? The process and requirements aren't defined so the vagueness makes everyone over cautious or under cautious based on our opinions if these BS laws

The roll pin came half-way out of my 15-22 during the first range trip.. Instant felon!!!

Back
Top Bottom