Definition of a Massachusetts compliant fixed stock.

I want to get a new stock for my AR-15, most new stocks on the internet are "collapsible", "folding", or "telescopic". I know I am allowed to pin the stock to the preferred length and make it a "fixed stock" and have it be legal.

What I don't know is the
definition of a "Massachusetts compliant fixed stock".... does anyone know?

Fixed as in it doesn't move permanently or doesn't move with out a tool?

Last edited:
You are going to get a lot of opinions about this. To my knowledge there are no guidelines in the MA law for how it's acceptable to fix a stock. Does anyone know if there were guidelines during the federal ban?

I want to get a new stock for my AR-15, most new stocks on the internet are "collapsible", "folding", or "telescopic". I know I am allowed to pin the stock to the preferred length and make it a "fixed stock" and have it be legal.

What I don't know is the
definition of a "Massachusetts compliant fixed stock".... does anyone know?

Think about a Magpul MOE fixed carbine stock. It's more stable than any pinned stock I've seen. It's a little short but the longest extended butt pad they sell makes it fit me just right. It just screws on with one screw.

http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG480/60

Fixed as in it doesn't move permanently or doesn't move with out a tool?

Like Could you use a set screw?

so it can be adjustable just not adjustable on the fly?

No one has the definitive, legal answer to that.
Not the AG's office, State Police, local police, and if they do, they're not telling anyone.

Just for CYA sake, using a set-screw with an allen wrench dangling from the stock probably isn't a wise idea.

This hasn't really been clearly defined but the generally accepted definition is to permanently pin an adjustable stock. If you can remove the pin with a tool it is adjustable, which is also why the bullet button doesn't help in MA.

This hasn't really been clearly defined but the generally accepted definition is to permanently pin an adjustable stock. If you can remove the pin with a tool it is adjustable, which is also why the bullet button doesn't help in MA.

I can remove the pin from a pinned stock with a pin punch and Hammer - does that make it adjustable?

My point was that there is no exception for "using a tool" in MA as there is in other jurisdictions (CA). If you think fixed means using a screw then you may as well use LaRue's RAT stock and just turn the switch so it can't be adjusted. To each his own level of risk.

Think about all the shotgun shooters that have adjustable comb and stocks, they would loose their minds if the law applied to them (part of me wishes it did to wake up the sheeple). Also, if you want, If your interested in get a stock that you could adjust, check out the Magpul PRS stock.

If you buy an adjustable stock you will need to pin it so it doesnt move

I know (at least I assume) that you're trying to help, but that not correct and thus not helpful. Nothing in the law says that a stock can't be "adjustable," and many adjustable stocks are perfectly legal.

I know (at least I assume) that you're trying to help, but that not correct and thus not helpful. Nothing in the law says that a stock can't be "adjustable," and many adjustable stocks are perfectly legal.

^
You didn't finish your post. List the adjustable stocks that are legal and why they are legal. It's not fair to make a broad statement like that and not name the names... Just my .02

^
You didn't finish your post. List the adjustable stocks that are legal and why they are legal. It's not fair to make a broad statement like that and not name the names... Just my .02

It's a gotch'a regarding the word "adjustable" as opposed to "collapsible" and "folding"...

Technically, collapsible and folding stocks are perfectly legal on a semi-auto rifle... as long as there are no other evil features present.

So glad the laws in MA are so clear. For speeding they should just make the law 'no fast driving' and leave at that. The gun laws are about as broad. Such a PITA.

The point of the pin is to remove "telescoping" as a feature. Just leave it at that because any further interpretation is a huge grey area.

Back
Top Bottom